My Sideshow Dilemma: Legendary Scale Vs. Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chapter 2099

Super Freak
Reaction score
So here's the story: I've got quite a little collection started with Sideshow Premium Formats and Legendary Scales. (By no means as large and as impressive as a lot of you have but nonetheless, it's growing.) Keep in mind I only collect Marvel pieces (with a few other misc. pieces from Sideshow.) But here's my dilemma. I'm coming to a crossroads. I want to keep my collection as "top notch" and elite as possible. (If that's makes any sense.) I feel maybe I should stick with one or the other: Marvel Premium Formats or Marvel Legendary Scales...I'm so impressed with the Premium Formats, but at the same time the Legendary Scales are no slouches either. :google But with the rate that Sideshow produces Legendary Scales and Premium Formats, not only am I on a crash course to go broke but my office is going to look like nothing but clutter. So what do you guys think: Would you stick with one or the other (and if so which), or would you have the best of "both worlds" maintaining a mix of both???? :banghead

They are superheroes, what better way to showcase them than with full body statues? Not a fan of busts here, so I'd always make PFs priority whenever possible.

The LSB line has been very erratic. 80% crap and 20% good/okay. Stick with the PFs. They are, in most cases, definitive pieces for the characters.

I like Shai's comment from Sabretooth LSB thread, the one about the LSB line being a sleeper. I anticipate the LSB line becoming much more popular as it expands. I also think a PF is only complented with a LSB next to it.

I would disagree about 80% of them being bad. Let's see, the not so good are: Apocaplyse, maybe ghost rider, I know some don't like the Hulk portrait (me, I like), and not much is said about Doom.

Personally, this is my rating of LSB (Worst to Best):

Apocalypse
Dare Devil Yellow (doesn't do it for me)
Dare Devil Red (ducks from incoming objections)
Ghost Rider (Light-up is a cool effect though)
SIM
Thor
Hulk (Green preferred)
Green Goblin
unmasked Wolverine
Iron Man (keep the mask)
Sabretooth (Pending prod pics)

We need a spiderman LSB.

Key characters have already been jacked up so is hard for this line to magically gain popularity. Sabretooth may be popular if it turns out good, but it will be a case by case scenario.

At $200 a pop I just don't feel like there is a lot of value here. For another $100 you can get a PF instead.

I would have to say PF's also. I'm a statue kind of guy, never been much for busts, so in my case it's a no brainer. But just go with what appeals to you the most, if you want to pursue both, go for it, as long as the cash flow can sustain it that is.

Once Captain America is done in the LSB line and Spidey you have reun out of quickly recognizable first tier characters IMHO, you are left with second tiers and variants of the first line which will usually mean less releases.

My biggest dilemma is space. I have a nice size office but when you try to incorporate 20 + PF/LSB, it begins to look a little...... :horror. I was thinking about putting them into a "rotation," but it gets to be a little tedious after a while. (Pulling them out the box, then packaging them away again.) If you can't display them, then what's the point. I just got a Capt. America PF Ex., a Red Skull PF Ex. coming in August and a Thor PF Ex. not too long after that. Space is about to become a big issue! Right now I have a curio to display some of them in and a desk that's displaying others, while the rest sit in storage. :(

My biggest dilemma is space. I have a nice size office but when you try to incorporate 20 + PF/LSB, it begins to look a little...... :horror. I was thinking about putting them into a "rotation," but it gets to be a little tedious after a while. (Pulling them out the box, then packaging them away again.) If you can't display them, then what's the point. I just got a Capt. America PF Ex., a Red Skull PF Ex. coming in August and a Thor PF Ex. not too long after that. Space is about to become a big issue! Right now I have a curio to display some of them in and a desk that's displaying others, while the rest sit in storage. :(

That is a space killer.

Personnally I buy a mix of both.No need to be a completist on those lines...I mean, who wants a Dr.Doom LSB or an elektra PF...:duh

These PF's take up a LOT of room and while ive not actually seen the LSB's in person they do seem large also so i can see your problem.
Personally speaking I just buy what I like, the characters for instance Spiderman I have him in PF x3,Poly statues(bowen/Sideshow),poly busts(sideshow/GG).

So I would say that to you, if you like or follow particular characters or love the pieces then just buy what you like, I think from most of the pics ive seen around this place, the best collections are the mixed ones, imo anyway.
x :D

PFs! Though i am a marvel vs dio only collector.
My 1st PF will be thor..

Back