Can Doctor Who Survive Tonner?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pixletwin

Malalaking Gagamba
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Its official. Tonner is making Doctor Who dolls. :horror

High-end doll company Tonner Doll, who recently entered the pop culture market with character figures of DC Comics and Harry Potter characters, announced two new licenses at Wizard World Chicago. Lara Croft, star of the Tomb Raider franchise, was shown for the first time and actually available for purchase at the show, in a limited run of 100 figures that also included a certificate of authenticity signed by sculptor Robert Tonner.

Later, at Tonner's "Look Ahead" panel, the company sought fan input as to what sort of properties they should pursue for licenses. When someone (full disclosure: yes, it was me, but I swear I had no idea) mentioned "Doctor Who," company representative Mark Moriarty and Robert Tonner confirmed that they had just signed the license for "Doctor Who" character figures. The company will concentrate at first on the various Doctors from throughout the show's history.

:cuss :cuss :cuss

good point - and made me think - perhaps a cool PF could be made with a Tonner costume.

I agree. The outfits will look great. Maybe they can be altered to fit a regulare 1/6th scale figure?

BillyB

If they did a Tom Baker version that actually looked like Baker and not an androgynous version of him, I would be interested.

Me too but I can almost picture a Tonnerized Tom Baker and its not a pretty thought.

I will buy a Tegan or a Leela though. :monkey3

Everything is androgynous when it comes to Tonner, which is a shame because they seem to be awesome from the neck down. When I was in Vegas last month I got to see about 50 Tonner figures displayed a FAO Shwartz. The costume tailoring is second to none, I just cant stand the heads.

Tegan:
tegan1.jpg

Leela:
leela-dr_who-other28.jpg

Are they from the 70s? They have that old 70s look to them. The Tegan chik looks like she kould be from the 80s.

We'd need a head sculpt at least, but the proportions on the adults are fine for a PF style figure. Sometimes the sculpts are great too. Well, the Voldemort is a pretty good likeness - I can't think of any others that are decent.

I thought the hands were fairly small as well. That might just be on the one I noticed it on, but I daren't go looking to find out for sure, which one/ones.

Back