"Tales From the Perilous Realm" Book

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth Waller

Are you on the square?
Reaction score
I was looking around on Amazon and saw that this book is coming out in October.

The definitive collection of Tolkien's classic "fairie" tales, in the vein of The Hobbit, illustrated by Oscar winner Alan Lee.

Never before published in a single volume, Tolkien's four novellas (Farmer Giles of Ham, Leaf by Niggle, Smith of Wootton Major, and Roverandom) and one book of poems (The Adventures of Tom Bombadil) are gathered together for the first time, in a fully illustrated volume. This new, definitive collection of works -- which had appeared separately, in various formats, between 1949 and 1998 -- comes with a brand-new foreword and endmatter, and with a series of detailed pencil illustrations by Alan Lee, in the style of his other award-winning Tolkien work, most recently in The Children of Húrin.

The book is the perfect opportunity for fans of Middle-earth to enjoy some of Tolkien's often overlooked yet most creative storytelling. With dragons and sand sorcerers, sea monsters and hobbits, knights and dwarves, this collection contains all the classic elements for Tolkien buffs of all ages.

These are like friends we haven't seen in a long time, and I can't wait to see them illustrated by Alan Lee!

Last edited:
Thanks DW having recently finished The Children Of Hurin i might have to check this out.;)

I own several editions of these stories already, both in hardcover and paperback, but a nice single volume, well-bound illustrated edition will be very welcome in my library. I'll definitely be buying it.

And its gonna look like this!
talesfromperilousrealmih4.jpg

What else by tolkien is a good read?? I've, of course, read the hobbit and LOTR series since I was a kid...I was thinking of buying the silmarillion and the children of hurin off ebay...I noticed there is a set called the lost tales 1 and 2...What would you recommend? The one mention in this thread, would that be a good set also? :confused:

The Silmarillion is an excellent book. I would definitely recommend that one. 'Unfinished Tales' is good as well. 'Children of Hurin' is a more linear book of stories that were already published in previous books. I haven't read any of the 'history' books of Middle-Earth but I know those that really want to dive into everything Middle-Earth love those books. Tolkien's letters is a good read as well to find out more about him and learn more tidbits about his creations. This upcoming book (mentioned in this thread) sounds intriguing. I have all of them in single books but to have them all together would be nice.

CHILDREN OF HURIN would be a really good introduction into the eldar days. Then THE SILMARILLION, you'll actually get a chapter or two that retell the tale but its got a bit of different feeling or perspective than the novel.
Both are much darker than LOTR and especially the SIL, which is written in an almost biblical manner. It isn't easy but I've read it dozens of times now, and I'm at a point where I absolutely love these stories.

Whats a bit harder though is UNFINISHED TALES (which also includes another version of the Children of Hurin) and the HISTORY OF MIDDLE EARTH series, Edited by Christopher Tolkien. Basically these are a more scholarly look at the creation of the myths, so there are various uncompleted versions of the texts throughout.

Christopher Tolkien has an often villified public face, as he doesn't support the films and is very protective of his father's literary legacy. However, looking back, we can be very thankful for his work in putting the SILMARILLION together in a published form as well as all the material in the HOME series. Anyone else could have left unpublished all the work that never was seen in Tolkien's lifetime, truly a lifetime of work.

That would have been truly tragic.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks for the info...I'll have to get a couple. I think I'll start with the silmarillion and the children of hurin...

Uh.. sorry, umm, TALES, I meant to say TALES!!!

Hang in there,Its gonna be alright!

I was looking around on Amazon and saw that this book is coming out in October.

The definitive collection of Tolkien's classic "fairie" tales, in the vein of The Hobbit, illustrated by Oscar winner Alan Lee.

Never before published in a single volume, Tolkien's four novellas (Farmer Giles of Ham, Leaf by Niggle, Smith of Wootton Major, and Roverandom) and one book of poems (The Adventures of Tom Bombadil) are gathered together for the first time, in a fully illustrated volume. This new, definitive collection of works -- which had appeared separately, in various formats, between 1949 and 1998 -- comes with a brand-new foreword and endmatter, and with a series of detailed pencil illustrations by Alan Lee, in the style of his other award-winning Tolkien work, most recently in The Children of Húrin.

The book is the perfect opportunity for fans of Middle-earth to enjoy some of Tolkien's often overlooked yet most creative storytelling. With dragons and sand sorcerers, sea monsters and hobbits, knights and dwarves, this collection contains all the classic elements for Tolkien buffs of all ages.

I was somewhat confused by this as "Tales from the Perilous Realm" has been out for years (the version I have was published in 1998) but I see they've added Roverandom to it.

Back