Getting Burned on Ebay

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairlesswookiee

PALPATINE CRUSADER!!!!
Reaction score
so i sold my green hulk last May on the 18th. It was insured for the full purchase amount. and it was delivered on may 27th. today i get an email from paypal saying that the buyer is disputing the claim because he insists that there are paint flaws on the statue. what are my options guys??? my complaint is why the hell did he wait a month to open and inspect it?? i'm heading up to UPS now to get a print out to verify delivery, insurance, and the signature that it was delivered. i swear to GOD if i get ripped off i will get on a plane and hunt this guy down. :banghead:banghead

Don't hunt the guy down yourself.

I know a couple guys in Jersey who'll "take care" of anything for $300 and gas money for their Chevy.

I've had issues like this from seedy ebayers.. He's just trying to get a free or very discounted hulk.. This is why I fear ebay.. I think my last 3 sales ended up idiots like this guy you're dealing w/.

so i sold my green hulk last May on the 18th. It was insured for the full purchase amount. and it was delivered on may 27th. today i get an email from paypal saying that the buyer is disputing the claim because he insists that there are paint flaws on the statue. what are my options guys??? my complaint is why the hell did he wait a month to open and inspect it?? i'm heading up to UPS now to get a print out to verify delivery, insurance, and the signature that it was delivered. i swear to GOD if i get ripped off i will get on a plane and hunt this guy down. :banghead:banghead

it should up to him to prove it was damaged with UPS...if he's saying you sent it damaged then I'm sure PayPal will probably side with him....I guess you could send them pics to show how it looked when you sent it. PP usually sides with the buyer I'm told.

Hope it works out in your favor...I fully expect this to happen to me one day.

Problem is, and I had the same w/ my buyers. Even know you KNOW you are right, and they are trying to pull a fast one, you NEVER want to have paypal be judge and Jury.

Perhaps let us know of the buyer so we may avoid in the furure.

This happened to me as well. I shipped FedEx. I figured I could go through all the fight and probably lose (knowing PP) or offer the guy a partial refund. I made the guy document by taking a lot of pictures and sending them to me first. The "damage" was just a few scratches, but still, it was the IM comiquette, so scratches are noticable on that thing. I offered the guy $110 refund (on an $800+) and he went away. But I could only do this because I bought the SS at a great price and was making over double what I paid. It was worth not having to go through the aggravation to me.

I have a question related to this topic. If buyer files a claim, but you empty your PP account before this happens, and buyer wins, will PP still take money from your linked credit card or bank account? I didn't think they were allowed to do this. I think you end up by having a negative PP balance, and if you ever want to use PP again, you have to settle that negative balance.

Hence, open a new PP account, probably under a new email, and not sure what happens if PP sees the same bank accoutn or CC number to two different PP accounts, one of which would have a negative blanace.

Any first hand experience in this?

here are the pictures he sent me. i have no idea what those are nor were they there when i inspected it. the auction clearly stated NO REFUNDS. UPS said he can still claim it as damaged. what do i do?? i think its shady because its been a month, he completely bypassed contacting me, didn't go through ebay, just filed a dispute on paypal.
DSCN1745.jpg

DSCN1740.jpg

He must think you are blind since it seems like it would be pretty hard to miss those. He's pulling something on you... maybe trying to "trade" his defective one for your good one?

almost looks like a touch up with a different color green.

exactly...i only took it out of the box twice. once when i originally got it, and again a couple months ago to check him out. something like that would've been noticed by me for sure. but how can i prove it??? my paypal shows a negative balance. do i dispute it and tell him he has to contact UPS??? the auction description has in bold print that refunds are not issued and that it needs to be fully insured the purchase price.

pretty sure the seller is supposed to contact UPS. then they will contact the buyer to return the item for the claim. you should fight paypal's decision of issuing a refund, especially because the buyer still has the item!

hairlesswookie - hunt that sumbish down

mesascott - i would think that they'd be able to pick up on it, but i'm still waiting on 169.25 from part of a refund on a sauron statue from 3 months ago, so i'm not sure.

i'm actually getting sick of shady sellers on ebay. just received an 'undisplayed, mint condition ex. wolvie comiquette that had a dusty base, a chip on the tip of the masked head, and a claw that was bent all to hell. it seems like half the stuff i've bought on their isn't as described.

simple solution...

get pics from someone with a mint green hulk and present them as pics that were taken right before shipping. if someone wants to pull that crap with you, fight fire with fire.

if he is going to claim it was damaged he needs to rough the box up really good.

so if he claims it with UPS will i have to take it back?? or does UPS issue him the money and keep it?? i just don't want to end up back at square one.... or possibly worse--he sends me a defective one that he swapped out.

He's trying to rip you off bro..

I had a buyer send me pics of a completely busted up peice before that was not what I sent him.. He pestered me all the way up until the filing deadline but never did actually file a claim..I did however have a month long headache from the prick.

The shipper (you) are required to contact UPS. UPS will then send someone to his house to pick up the statue and original package.

Also, check his history and make sure he didn't win 2 Hulks and he picked you to be the screwed seller.

so if he claims it with UPS will i have to take it back?? or does UPS issue him the money and keep it?? i just don't want to end up back at square one.... or possibly worse--he sends me a defective one that he swapped out.

UPS will take the package and probably keep it. They will refund you and you will be required to send the refund back to the buyer.

This shouldn't have gone through Paypal until UPS has denied the claim or refunded the amount.

Back