DC Could Learn Lessons From Marvel's Movie Strategy

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
Op/Ed - DC Could Learn Lessons From Marvel's Movie Strategy
By Michael Avila
posted: 2008-06-11 10:22:00 ETWho would have thought the game-changer in the comic book movie wars would not be a “Spider-Man”, a “Batman” or even a “Superman” – but an “Iron Man.”

$526 million worldwide dollars later it looks like a no-brainer, but Iron Man was far from a slam-dunk when it was announced as the initial release from the newly formed Marvel Studios back in 2006-'07. For all his importance in the current Marvel comic book universe, 'ol Shellhead had very little Main Street cred (until it hit developmental snags, Captain America was supposed to be the first self-produced Marvel movie).

But the initial chapter of Marvel Studios’ plan to be a stand-alone studio paid immediate dividends. The success of Jon Favreau’s character-rich adaptation also provided the latest evidence that Marvel has a better grasp on its moviemaking strategy than arch-rival DC.

Entertainment Weekly writer Marc Bernardin says it’s premature to give Marvel the edge. As he (correctly) points out, Marvel’s had just one certified self-financed hit. “Marvel’s just coming into their own, so I think it’s way too early to declare “Mission: Accomplished And if you look at the films they’ve done in partnerships with other studios, they’ve had as many failures as they have successes,” he says.

The huge dollars earned by the Spider-Man and X-Men franchises kind of make you forget about stinkers like Elektra and The Punisher. Plus, despite their big box office totals, is there anyone out there who really thinks the Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider and Daredevil were actually any good??

But there’s no disputing that the House of Ideas has Juggernaut-like momentum on its side right now.

Offbeat casting choices like Robert Downey Jr. and Edward Norton caught the attention of non-comics fans and impressed fanboys, while clever promotional ideas stoked the fires. Iron Man really broke from the pack after its electrifying Comic-Con reveal last year. And keeping the Incredible Hulk under wraps until just recently was a risky move that ultimately could prove genius.

The upcoming reboot of the Hulk sparked genuine fan-ticipation with its crowd-pleasing presentation at April’s NY Comic Con. If the film delivers on the action the trailer promises, Marvel could score back-to-back blockbusters.

The company also has a Murderer’s Row of upcoming projects: Iron Man 2 and Thor in 2010, Captain America along with the Avengers team-up film in 2011, plus Ant Man and Runaways in development.

Meanwhile, nearly all of DC’s characters seem to be languishing in a Hollywood Crisis. Hard to believe since DC’s heroes were once the cape kings of Hollywood, but Wonder Woman, Captain Marvel, Flash, Green Arrow and Green Lantern have all gotten snared in developmental hell at some point. While Marvel makes news with Iron Man’s $100 Million opening weekend, DC’s heroes make the trades with word that the ill-planned Justice League movie has been mercifully shelved.

To be fair, DC is at a huge disadvantage. It doesn’t have an independent studio arm making and financing its own movies based on their characters. It has little, if any say in how projects are developed. The company is part of a huge conglomerate, Time Warner. And while Warner Bros., the studio that produces and distributes films based on DC creations, is part of the same corporate family tree, it doesn’t allow for the kind of control over the material that Marvel has over theirs.

With Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige overseeing all its projects, the Marvel movies are aiming for a cohesive structure, a narrative consistency. The ‘Nick Fury’ cameo in Iron Man was Step One toward the creation of a Marvel movie universe (Step Two is coming soon), so the characters we’re used to seeing interact in the comics will soon do so in theaters.

In the meantime, DC’s heroes struggle just to get into the multiplex. Sure, Batman is doing just fine but Wonder Woman’s still waiting, six decades later, for her close up, while Superman’s film future is rather tenuous after Bryan Singer’s lackluster Superman Returns. There’s a certain irony in the fact that the company whose flagship character can see through walls has shown a glaring lack of vision when it comes to the Big Picture of two of its Holy Trinity.

So how can DC’s movie fortunes be turned around? Thankfully, a certain Caped Crusader is on his way to help.

Even though Heath Ledger’s tragic death has cast a pall over the project, The Dark Knight is all but certain to be a smash hit when it opens in July. The Batman franchise in general is in good hands with Christopher Nolan. No one grasps the concept of a superhero franchise better than Nolan, and Christian Bale just happens to be the best Batman ever.

Then there’s Watchmen.

Due in March 2009, the film based on Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons’ epic graphic novel took nearly 20 years to finally get into production. But does Watchmen have the broad appeal to be a breakout hit? Characters such as Dr. Manhattan and Nite Owl, heroes can’t even match Booster Gold’s Q rating, after all. But EW’s Bernardin says under-estimating Watchmen as just a cult book is a mistake.

“...Let’s not forget, Watchmen has sold millions of copies, and it’s widely respected as one of the 20th century’s great books. By and large, the people who’ve only ever read one graphic novel — Watchmen was the one. So there’s a pretty large installed base there.”

DC/Warner Bros. need to start giving the bench players a shot, just like Marvel is doing with its second-stringers like Ant-Man, Hawkeye, Luke Cage and Deadpool.

David Goyer’s ‘Supermax: Green Arrow’ script is gaining momentum, as is a ‘Green Lantern’ movie. Both characters have been around forever and their histories offer a wealth of storytelling options, much like Iron Man. They’re the kind of characters that could attract top-shelf acting and directing talent.

Another lesson DC/Warner Bros. could learn from Marvel is getting fresh talent involved. Joel Silver’s had the option on Wonder Woman for so long, one of the early favorites to play Princess Diana, Sandra Bullock, will soon be able to play her mother Hippolyta. Silver hasn’t piloted a good movie since V for Vendetta and he can’t get this one off the ground. Warners should try to buy out his option or convince him to bring Joss Whedon back into the fold. The greatest female comic book character deserves her own movie by now, don’t you think?

And what about the Man of Steel? In the Golden Age of comic book movies, where does Superman fit in? In a time when the United States isn’t winning any popularity contests around the world, some people don’t think it’s the best time to showcase a hero who represents Truth, Justice and the American Way.

I disagree. Superman isn’t just DC’s flagship. He’s the standard-bearer for the entire industry. If done right, people will line up just like they did to see the 1978 movie. Warner Bros. should fast-track the sequel already so we can see just what Bryan Singer means by going “Wrath of Kahn.”

And for Pete’s sake, keep the “Justice League: 90210” movie idea buried!

Marvel > DC

Thank you for summing up the article so eloquently, lol.

While I reserve the right to have a soft spot for Batman, in terms of movies and collectibles I would give the edge to Marvel. It's crazy to think of the properties that DC is sitting on and letting go to waste while Marvel moves ahead like a steamroller.

Let me tell you something...

Management F's things up.

DC Comics is too top heavy...while Marvel has less of that burden on its shoulders and can focus on their movies and their plans behind them.

DC Comics is owned by Time Warner and approvals probably have to go through SO MANY LEVELS and through so many managers and executives who DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL THEY'RE DOING NOR WHAT THEY ARE MANAGING. Why do you think the DC Universe has essentially been the SAME for so many years while Marvel has gone through so many radical differences and changes?

Watchmen looks promising and Nolan's Batman is great, but other than that...DC has nothing and won't have anything movie-wise unless they shape up some way....and all their top-heavy, old fart executives ALLOW them as well.

Peronally, I'm not a fan of Marvel or DC. They both get too goofy with plots and can't do continuity if some one held a gu to their heads.

I love Batman, but DC has screwed the pooch so bad that I won't read it anymore, and I read it for almost 20 years straight!

Marvel has the edge because all DC has is Batman.

Well if Singer listens to the fans and brings in some major baddie for the next Superman like Darkseid, Doomsday or Parasite, I can see the Superman franchise getting back in the game. Batman is already better than any Marvel movies to date (the Nolan movie that is).

DC lacks enough interesting heroes to match marvel. After Batman and to a lesser degree Superman...they got nuthin. Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Hawkman? Until Tom Cruse plays Mr. Mxyzptlk in the next Superman movie...make mine Marvel!!

Hey now, Don't dis Hal Jordan if you want a complex character.... sans all the fear elemental bull^^^^.

And at the very least, the Kevin smith Era Oliver Queen was absolutely fantastic :)

Hey now, Don't dis Hal Jordan if you want a complex character.... sans all the fear elemental bull^^^^.

And at the very least, the Kevin smith Era Oliver Queen was absolutely fantastic :)

To be honest I think GL would be their best bet. I did love The Neal Adams run on GA. GA's powers (or lack thereof) suck though. Wouldn't make for an interesting film IMLTHO.

I'll give DC credit, GREEN LANTERN is probably their BEST comic out right now. The art, writing and direction of the series (along with Green Lantern Corps.) has taken the GL mythos to a whole new level of interest...not to forget that we have Hal back as well.

I mean "The Blackest Night", the Seven Lantern Corps., theres so much potential and such to keep looking forward to. And coming off the Sinestro Corps. War storyline...GL is awesome.

I'm bored with Batman and Supes...I'll only hop on for a story arc or two ("Batman & Son", And-whatever-the-General-Zod-returns storyline in Supes) and then it's boring again.

Speaking as a kid that grew up in comics silver age, and was primarily a DC fan, I have to admit overall Marvel is cranking out better movies.

I think largely this comes from the fact that the Marvel characters have always had a greater degree of inner conflict built-in. This plays well on the screen, and also explains why DC's most angst ridded hero has been the most succesful for them with the reboot of the Batman series.

i'd personally love to see a Green Lantern movie made. i just read the first volume of the Sinestro Corps War and loved it. now if someone can lend me some money to buy volume 2 i'd love it even more.

Never mind all that. The biggest travesty is DC Direct not using Andy B and Ray Villafane properly. :D

Marvel characters translate better to movies. DC characters are too powerful to find the human angle that movie-goers can relate to.

DC had a huge advantage over Marvel in the movie department for a long time in that most of their characters are controlled by WB and thus crossover movies could be made yet they have only made movies about Batman and Superman.

Back