Help with Air Purifiers/Cleaners!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjk1000000

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi Freaks,
I have a SERIOUS dust problem in my room and I'm tired of having to clean my collectibles every frickin day! My question to you all is; does anyone know of a good air purifier/cleaner that eliminates particles, including dust, that I may only have to spend maybe $200 on at the most?

Thanks,
CJK

ducts may be dirty. If in a house, I think worth asking for duct cleaning every few years; I'm about to. check airfilter too, those should be changed monthly.

ducts may be dirty. If in a house, I think worth asking for duct cleaning every few years; I'm about to. check airfilter too, those should be changed monthly.

Yeah man, but my ducts don't do anything. They aren't hooked to any kind of A/C Unit at all. I've closed mine up but dust still lingers. So, I need a purifier but don't know if a small one will get the job done.

Thanks,
CJK

At the very least, go to Walmart and get one that is rated a bit higher than the square footage of your room.

Don't waste your money. The units advertised as keeping dust down do exactly that -- they emit an electrical charge that causes dust to cling to whatever is near the unit, and it will become very hard to dislodge. Instead of dusting, you'll be scrubbing. Go to the library and read up in Consumer Reports. Most of these things are junk.

Every glass cabinet I found that looked good had small holes in around the edges making it not much difference dust wise than if my figures and statues were normally shelved.
The glass cabinets that weren't great to look at didn't carry dust , it isn't aways that simple. I would recommend trying to find a cabinet that is up to your standards and hasn't much space for dust to get in.
The detolfs alot of people get still allow dust to get in. Not as much as them being out but still , its there. Keep as least stuff as possible on normal shelving.
And obviously just dust regular.

I bought two small table top ionic breeze air purifiers from the sharper image. They did okay reducing hte amount of dust, I'd estimate by about half. However I've had the two units for less than two months and both have stopped working. And it looks like the sharper image is going out of business or something because the stores are closing and you can't buy from the website so you might want to take that in to consideration before getting one there.

I have an air purifier from Oreck and I don't notice much difference at all when using it. I say stock up on swiffers for your shelves and canned air for your collectibles. Don't waste your $$ on the air purifying units.

Most of the people who will tell you they're a waste of money haven't bought one.

Oreck XL---it's a fantastic unit, the air in the room will be noticeably cleaner, but no, you won't entirely eliminate dust. I'm not even sure if that's possible.

$400 new or $200 refurbished on the Oreck website.

Enjoy

Most of the people who will tell you they're a waste of money haven't bought one.

Oreck XL---it's a fantastic unit, the air in the room will be noticeably cleaner, but no, you won't entirely eliminate dust. I'm not even sure if that's possible.

$400 new or $200 refurbished on the Oreck website.

Enjoy

That's the Oreck that I have and while the air does seems "cleaner", it does little for dust. Since dust is the original posters problem, I wouldn't recommend one.

My air purifier (Honeywell from Target clearance) does a fantastic job at cleaning the air when my dog has been farting all day. Sometimes I come home and the whole house stinks like dog fart, turn on air purifier and cleaned in an hour. But I haven't noticed much dust reduction. I also live in AZ desert, which has a lot of dust. But I don't leave it running 24/7.

don't get the sharper image ionic breeze purifiers... I don't know the exact details, but there was a study that said they're actually bad for your health, because the ions they release are similar to ozone.

Every glass cabinet I found that looked good had small holes in around the edges making it not much difference dust wise than if my figures and statues were normally shelved.

Why not cover the gaps with clear packing tape? That's what I'll be doing when I eventually get some display cabinets. (In the meantime everything stays in the box - I'm dust-phobic).

don't get the sharper image ionic breeze purifiers... I don't know the exact details, but there was a study that said they're actually bad for your health, because the ions they release are similar to ozone.

I wonder if that has something to do with the roach I found in my room today that was acting like it had been hit with bug spray... Oh and if that isn't enough, they let off an order that smells like bleach.

I think instead of getting mine replaced I'm going to try to get a refund. I can put that money towards something I have on order, even if it does mean I'll have to dust it more often. :whip

are most of these things loud? I was also thinking of getting one but after reading some of the replies...looks like it'd be a waste of money since I'd still have to dust...

A good old fashioned air purifier that actually sucks air through a filter with a fan DOES work. I have a Honeywell in my bedroom and if you check the filter every couple months, the thick gray film that needs to be vacuumed off is dust you would otherwise be breathing in every day.

why dont you just vacuum your room once a week?

A good old fashioned air purifier that actually sucks air through a filter with a fan DOES work. I have a Honeywell in my bedroom and if you check the filter every couple months, the thick gray film that needs to be vacuumed off is dust you would otherwise be breathing in every day.

There you go.

Again, I can't speak for everyone, but it significantly helped out in my room.

Back