BIG Fire at Universal Studios!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les Walker

Digging my way out!
Reaction score
I just saw this on the news...there is a HUGE fire sweeping through Universal Studios in LA, and it is apparantly destroying the film vault, among other buildings, such as stages etc...!!!!!

I am worried about the damage and the legacy of films!!!
Anyone out that way have any more news? This one sucks balls! Hope they get it out soon before much is destroyed.

I finally made it out there in Oct of 06, so at least I saw all this before this...but man.....worried!

:horror...I hope the original film of London after midnight wont get burn...:monkey5

Won't they evacuate the valuable stuff before the fire reaches the vaults?

I'm hoping none of the Back to the Future stuff gets damaged...

Just saw that the entire street, the town square that was indeed used in the Back to the Futures, as well as other movies, was indeed burned completely in this fire. It's bad. Apparantly there was an explosion regarding a propane tank, or some such thing. A four block area of soundstages and sets, including the New York Street facade area, is gone. Sad!

Such a shame. I'm really glad it was on the weekend and not when a ton of people were working on the lot. Looks like they've got it contained to one large building now.

From what I can tell, the vaults are not in danger. There are reports that the King Kong ride was destroyed. Looks like a ton of the facades are gone (New York Street, etc) and if I had to guess the fire is contained to either the prop house or the lumber building.

Got my eye on the news but right now it still a lot of guess work.

From my days as a young kid I will never forget the King Kong portion of the tram ride - sad to hear that was lost.

:monkey2

HOLY CRAP!!!! This alsmost seems unreal!!! And I was supposed to go there yesterday! Good thing I didn't. That sucks!!!! Does anyone know what time it started?

According to CNN...

The 2008 MTV Movie Awards, scheduled to be broadcast live from the park Sunday afternoon, will not be affected, an MTV representative said.

No injuries yet?... That's the best thing. They report that over 300 firefighters are currently tackling it.

Sad to see. I am glad I made it there before all this. I hope Stages 24-27 or whichever ones it is, where the old 1931 Frankenstein and those movies was made, was spared this. Too sad!

Wow, this does suck. Like others I'm happy that no one was hurt, and better props and scenery than people's homes. But it is sad to see movie heritage burned away too.

Oh man. I'm very sad to hear about this! I haven't got to visit Universal Studios near Hollywood yet. But I did visit the Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida in 1995. I even brought my video camera on the King Kong ride, Earthquake, JAWS, and filmed them all! I loved it. :D

I'm hoping and praying that nothing that can't be rebuilt has been destroyed by this fire, such as any classic films or very important movie props or costumes.

Wow, just saw all this on TV and it's crazy. They had some helicopters and stuff overhead too. This is really horrible. I've never been and now I will miss seeing so much amazing stuff! :monkey2:monkey2

Back