When a man loves a Display cabinet / collection

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fight or strategic manouvre ? (retreat) :(

• Yep you pay for the damn house also ! Give her some grief !

Votes: 33 68.8%
  • Box em up and just display 2 thirds !

Votes: 15 31.3%

• Total voters

Mooncat

Super Freak
Reaction score
I know sounds like a remix of a song

but having spent alot of money, time and effort making a custom display cabinet for my collection

I find myself with a connundrum (misspelt I know)

The collection itself has outgrown the cabinet :horror

The cabinets still not finished yet, got some lights, doors and a center piece coming from hurricane :bow for it

But atm its filled with all SW

Mostly SS and some Customs Ive done - Mainly Hasbros, and some Koto coversions

and all though they look OK and Im proud of them, theres just too many now in the cabinet

Also just spent the most Ive ever spent on a collectable on a 1:6th grail piece that aint SW !!! So bunging that in with the rest and it will look odd !

Relegated some of my better non star wars, HT and Medi pieces to alcove shelf height, too keep the display cabinet just Star Wars and theres no way given the amount of money I spent on this new piece that I want to stick it 8 foot in the air on a shelf were it can hardly be seen :nono

All of my pieces are in my office at home, I like no doubt many of you have to "pacify" the wife :thwak, when it comes to my collection habits

Got 2 detolfs in the garage (they were used before the custom cabinet) that will have to be used now, but theres just no way they can go in my office,

yep the collection has outgrown the room itself !!!!! nevermind the cabinet

Might have to negotiate with the wife ?? and "no doubt" get some grief over my collection addiction for more space for it !!!! :monkey2

As it needs more room !

To top it all !!!

Ive still got at least 4 x 1:6th scale pieces on order with SSC and HT

What do I do - box up the lesser stuff ? or do I push for more room ?

Or do I wait years ? for the house move the new office ? and the opportunity to get all my collectables out on display ??? (one can but dream)

put the wife in an empty sideshow box and store her in the loft, out of the way. Then you can take over the house and fill it with detolfs :blissy:rock

on a more serious note...... wake up from the wet dream, Becasue the moment your collection leaves your hobby room your a dead man :)

Decisions been made . ..

Broached the subject with the wife

Needless to say it went down like a fart in an astronout suit !!

Just gonna have to pick my "select pieces" and use them !

Box the rest :(

So variety is the spice of life looks like the SW display is gonna be split

Buy the wife 2 presents to ease the decision:

A vibrator and a pair of slippers, so if she dont like the slippers she can do you know what with the vibrator.....

Come to think of it I aint seen my Mrs in hours.......

I feel your pain Mooncat. My Wife was like this for a while, but I gave her a bit of sage like advice.... I let her know that I was unlike many men, she knew this when she married me... That I do not go to bars, I don't collect expensive cars or women, I don't do drugs or hang with a violent crowd. I like to think that makes me a decent catch...

But I'm a collector, I collect items that mean something to me... It's a flaw, to be true... but not that negative a flaw. And in return for my not being a normal man, all I ask is for just a tiny bit of leeway in the display of my items. She picks and chooses a few of them that are cool enough for her to allow me to display in the living room, while the majority is housed in my collection room/studio. And in return I do not question her on her decorating habits or what have you....

It took a lot of time and HOURS of arguing, but she saw the light and now I have PF's in the living room. :duff

Give it time bro, she will come around. If she loves you enough and doesn't run away, that is. :lol

Even tho you pay for everything...you can't expect the woman to want this stuff all over the house. Hell, I don't think I'd want toys/statues displayed all over the house either...
I think there needs to be an understanding, and she understands your collection needs and gave you a whole room to work with. so unless your woman bends like a blade of grass in the wind...I dont' think you should push for more room.
BUT...if you have like 4-5 rooms in the house with a few to spare...I dont' see why you can't put a few more cabinets up in the spare rooms.

I agree with Darkartist, If you have a Spare room that isn't doing anything take it over and show her that you can design a room that looks Cool but yet functional, Good Luck

punch.jpg

j/k

Back