What Would Sideshow Freaks Do??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vespagirl

Freaked Out
Reaction score
WWSFD...

I'm just on the other side of a bad encounter on eBay, and now I'm curious what others would have done if in my proverbial shoes. A seller on ebay copied a listing of mine (description, font, colors, etc.) and used one of my photos in their listing. My photo is of a clean and pristine box that has never been opened. Seller's item has been out of the box, seals cut, all willy nilly. So my query is to board members and ebayers - how would you all handle that?

:huh

Send him a message asking him to remove the copied stuff, and be nice doing it. If he doesn't, inform ebay and they will take care of it. I've had to do it a few times.

at the very bottom of the copycat's listing thre's a link

Other options
Back to My eBay | Report this item |

it will take you here:

Listing Violations

step 1: Copying of your listing

Step 2: Select a subtopic
Report your picture or description was copied or linked without permission

Send him a message asking him to remove the copied stuff, and be nice doing it. If he doesn't, inform ebay and they will take care of it. I've had to do it a few times.

That is exactly what I did, and thanks for confirming I'm not the only person who still follows rules. After ebay stepped in, he sent me a nastygram and was really hostile. I replied back professionally that it had to come to that. His reply back to me was an extremely nasty message that read out puzzle fashion "go xxxx yourself." I told him the exchange was over. His last word was that he was going to report me for harrassment and threatening him, neither of which I did. So I turned THAT over to ebay as well. And I hate that it had to come to that, but I also hate being bullied for following policy and then being bullied just for sport. It was a bad downward spiral and just torques me. So I was reflecting on how others might have handled that. Any other input on the end result would be appreciated. Thanks, guys.

I had a guy do that same thing. Copied my listing word for word (he didn't even fix the misspelled words) and took my picture. I didn't say anything even though I should have but mine ended for twice what he sold his for so that was some justice.

What I would be inclined to do would be to find out where he lives and pay him a "friendly" visit. But what I would really do is exactly what you did. Follow the protocol. When you do, you maintain the high ground. Never let some scumbag make you retreat from the high ground.

What I would be inclined to do would be to find out where he lives and pay him a "friendly" visit. But what I would really do is exactly what you did. Follow the protocol. When you do, you maintain the high ground. Never let some scumbag make you retreat from the high ground.

I felt compelled to take the dark alley but opted for the appropriate links instead. His re-listing is still up and he made sure to make reference to the photo debacle but I don't care. Whoever buys his figure is getting a box with sliced biohazard stickers on it. The devil is in the details, I guess.

Do you have a link to his auction? Maybe we could ask him some "friendly" questions about it.

I think you did the right thing by taking the high road and reporting any abuse to ebay. No sense dealing with the guy yourself.

Do you have a link to his auction? Maybe we could ask him some "friendly" questions about it.

I think you did the right thing by taking the high road and reporting any abuse to ebay. No sense dealing with the guy yourself.

Here it be...
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330236971531&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=014

One friendly question is...how are them there stickers holding up since they were cut to get the figure out of the box?

I know it sounds exceedingly petty, but the person who bought my Dead figure was highly concerned about the seals and stickers, rightfully so. I know some people don't give a rip and tear right in, but it would bother me to spend that much money and get a figure with a box that had been man-handled.

P.S. If you do check it out, be sure to read his little tribute to me in the description...

Last edited:
Yeah, what the hell were you thinking... any longtime ebayer would have known he couldn't switch the picture. :)

Yeah, what the hell were you thinking... any longtime ebayer would have known he couldn't switch the picture. :)

LOL - Yeah and he fails to mention that any long-time eBayer would have known that you don't just up and use someone else's picture without permission, especially when it is not an accurate representation of the item.

:duh I know! What was I thinking? I guess I was just confused because he changed up his excuse from blaming his dad to blaming the dead camera batteries. DOH!

reporting hostile emails/messages to Ebay wont do squat. I had some crazy buyer (link) send me a very nasty email after we exchanged neutral feedback. Cuss words and hostilities abound. I reported it to Ebay through their security section of website. I even had to copy the email, find out info of the email header so Ebay could track it or something, and they still did nothing. Unless the person threatens you personally and says they are comiing to your house to kick your ass, they are allowed to call you whatever they want without Ebay stepping in and doing anything.

Back