The Changing face of your collection..

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creature4000

Super Freak
Reaction score
Over the years my collection has changed serveral times. Company's, media, size, themes.... everything has changed to some degree.

It started out as a kid with SW and Gijoe.
Then went to Marvel and Spawn as I grew older. Sold/got rid of a lot of things.. then discovered Sideshow.

My collection grew very fast over the last 3 years, but now I'm cutting some themes down and going to concentrate on a few areas where I can see almost an end coming to my collection.

How has your collection changed over the years and where do you see/want it to go?

Mine has changed a lot too even in just the past couple of years. I stared with hasbro Star Wars back in the 90's. First "high end" stuff was the LOTR WETA line and then on to the SW PF's from SS. I've gotten into and out of several lines in the last couple of years until I settled on PF's ( various PF lines ) and GG mini busts ( also various lines ) for the most part.

Last edited:
In the 90's I start buying back the old toys and action figures I used to have as a kid ( MOTU, GiJOE,Marvel action figures ect..) Probably out of nostalgia...Then I went with Mcfarlane movie maniacs,Then Sideshow.In the mean time I start collecting back comic books...Long story short, Now, its only Sideshow Marvel for me !!!

Less toys, more statues, prop replicas, other high-end pieces and fine art for me these days.

I started out with those 4" Star Wars figure when they first started re-issuing them back in the 90's, but got out of that when the scalpers got to be too big of a headache.

Moved on to McFarlane stuff, but got tired of the figures breaking everytime I looked at them.

After that, I tried Transformers, but the obsessiveness of that community made me quit for fear of becoming one of them. 1/6 scale was the next stop, and I've stuck with it so far.

As for where I see it going, high prices and dwindling space will probably force me to become much more selective or perhaps quit altogether in the near future. I've been collecting so long now, I'm not sure I wouldn't welcome the end of it.

I started out with those 4" Star Wars figure when they first started re-issuing them back in the 90's, but got out of that when the scalpers got to be too big of a headache.

Moved on to McFarlane stuff, but got tired of the figures breaking everytime I looked at them.

After that, I tried Transformers, but the obsessiveness of that community made me quit for fear of becoming one of them. 1/6 scale was the next stop, and I've stuck with it so far.

As for where I see it going, high prices and dwindling space will probably force me to become much more selective or perhaps quit altogether in the near future. I've been colecting so long now, I'm not sure I wouldn't welcome the end of it.

I'm getting there. I'm to the point where I KNOW what pieces I will buy and everything else is a pass. I refuse to ever let my collection get cluttered up. I have specific pieces on my "want" list and I'll pass on everything else.

I started with ht predator/aliens, superman figures. 9 months later I've completely lost interest in them and obsessively started collecting ht military figures as well as building my own military figures. I will be purchasing the HT dar knight figures though:D.

I'm getting there. I'm to the point where I KNOW what pieces I will buy and everything else is a pass. I refuse to ever let my collection get cluttered up. I have specific pieces on my "want" list and I'll pass on everything else.

That's exactly my thinking. I've actually drew out plans for a massive display case (I'm building) and drew up pretty much what I want a where I want it. Once my want list is done. I'm very happy I now know what my end goal is like. :banana Some things are on order.. some haven't been made yet.

Plus I have no room to have kept with the pace I was going. :monkey2

It has changed a lot in the last 5 years for me.

I started with McFarlane's Movie Maniacs and Tortured Souls.
Then I discovered Sideshow and bought some 12" figures.

I sold all McFarlane except the 12 Tortured Souls, they are great !

Then I discovered WETA and started buying those.

Then I started buying Premium Formats

And when the 1:1 Ardeth Bey bust come out, I started buying 1:1 busts.

Recently I bought my first Sideshow Maquette, the Dog Alien ...

I also wanted to mention this week was the end of an collecting era. With the sale of my Sauron statue, it completes my end of SS/Weta pieces.

Now I only have LOTR pieces from Sideshow itself.

I also wanted to mention this week was the end of an collecting era. With the sale of my Sauron statue, it completes my end of SS/Weta pieces.

Now I only have LOTR pieces from Sideshow itself.

:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

Sideshow itself though has a very good LOTR line.

I started mainly with Star Wars and smaller figures you could buy at the toy store, but I had always preferred 12 inch figures. When companies like Sideshow came along and started making 12 inch figures, I sold off all of my smaller figures. And because I was disappointed in the prequels, that made it even easier to let go of my Star Wars collection.

My attention turned towards 12 inch, as well as more expensive pieces: not anything you can find in the toy store, anymore. And my collection varies, it's no longer just one thing, like it started out with Star Wars.

Like many here, I started off with the Hasbro SW figures, early in the decade. I consider the SW prequel hype and the general 80s nostalgia to have drawn me into collecting. Nothing out of the ordinary here. The common thread in my quest to collect has always been about acquiring the most engaging art I could get my hands on. That's it. :emperor

As I see it, this decade has been a long, painful transition from a mediocre action figure selection in the early 00s, to the high end stuff that we have now.

For SW, it simply doesn't get better than Sideshow, efx, and a little Medicom.

Sideshow again, for the odd LOTR and Marvel PFs.

The Four Horsemen for their FANtastic exclusives and the new MOTU line. Anything that comes out of the their hands is divine. They are the last true artists in the action figure world. Everything else is crap!

Japanese Imports/High-end Robots. I'm not big on TF, but I KNOW how obsessive the TF community can be. I'm just interested in the MP Grimlock, the odd G1 reissue, and any super-duper high end Japanese imports such as the Soul of Chogokin line. I'm always open to any cool Japanese toys, as long as they're top quality and appeal to me in some way. However, my indulgence in this category is highly limited, and fortunately I have exercised tremendous restraint so far.

And finally, a well-organized media collection of my favorite books, games, movies.

As things become more refined, I become less interested in most of the new things coming out. My life is changing, fortunately for the better, and new activities are filling the void left by the hobby. But isn't that the eventual goal of high end collectibles.. to buy things that last?

I started my adult collecting with the return of G.I. Joe (a "new" series: G.I. Joe vs. Cobra) around 2002. Stuck with it for quite a while but also nabbed a few other things.

I bought a few of the Hot Toys Snap-kit AVP Alien figures and some of the Microman AVP stuff as I've ALWAYS been an Alien/Predator fan. But eventually during that time, G.I. Joe had started to "die down" again...going to 'online only' and there was little-to-nothing to collect. One day these 12'' figures of the Scar Predator and Cpl. Hicks caught my eye....hmm...by the same company as my Snap-Kits? I never was a fan of 12'' figures but what the hell?

I got them, instantly fell in love and G.I. Joe was pushed to the side.

I think my collecting hasn't had a radical change but definitely a size and detail change from 1:18 to 1:6 and now with feeding in statues in there as well and even prop replicas! The main focus though is definitely Alien/Predator, Movie, and Superhero based with 12'' figures being the main product I buy.

I didn't venture too far from what I originally collected, but my wallet sure is a lot more empty thanks to it! :monkey4

Back