Collectible care?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laudel7

Super Freak
Reaction score
As I am new to collecting, I am just wondering how I should look after my collectibles. i.e dusting cleaning etc.

I have hot toys in a detlof but dust still gets in the gaps etc, Just wondering what I should do and how often, or what some of you guys already do.

canned air is your friend along with portable air filters.

Why what happens? Where can you get the cans of air?
Thanks for all your comments so far :D

For fun, turn the can upsidedown and then spray it on your skin for about 20 seconds . . .

I use a small car detailing brush to dust my figures.

Well my room doesn't get dusty. Prolly every 6 months or so i brush em off if they need it or not.

Rull of thumb, just like cars, keep them clean and they are easier to clean.

Good point man :D , I am starting to freak out lately about sunlight and dust lately, is it really that bad for dust or sunlight to be anywhere near your figures?
Or am I being silly?

Good point man :D , I am starting to freak out lately about sunlight and dust lately, is it really that bad for dust or sunlight to be anywhere near your figures?
Or am I being silly?

Are you serious? Sunlight is very damaging. DIRECT SUNLIGHT is a death sentence for your figures. Indirect sunlight is ok. Think about it, UV rays are radiation. :google Prolonged sunlight will fade color and ruin plastic. As for cleaning just use common sense. No harsh chemicals like spray cleaners at all. A light soft brush and gentle blasts of canned air should be enough to remove dust. As for how often depends on how dusty an environment you live in. HTH

Last edited:
as already stated. use canned air, common sense, and definitely put up curtains and what not to protect your collectibles. also, get some of those make-up brushes from your GF/Mom's kit---make sure they are clean. they are pretty soft too and use those to clean the figures off.

Seeing as polystone has a pigment, it would fade the colour of it. It wouldn't actually damage the polystone itself. Of course, most polystone items are painted, so sunlight would definitely damage the colouring of the paint.

Just keep your collectibles out of the sun.

When using any aerosol, give it a test burst away from everything. When using compressed air, never hold it close to the items you want to dust. It will freeze the surface, damaging your items.

laudel7, you can get air cans from most hardware shops. For your detolf's, you might want to find some rubber tubing to take up the gaps.

Best thing is, use a brush, if you find you can't get into some area, use a jet of air. Personally, I wouldn't use any chemical product on my collectibles. Some swear by it, so they must be happy with it. I'd rather wait for reports after five years of such use.

Thanks for all your helpful comments :D . the figures are all new, I just thought I should find out before its too late :monkey4 .

Gonna have to buy some new blinds now :lol its all good though.

:rock I have posted one or two somewhere! I'll take some at the weekend :D

heres my favourite one for now!

chris004.jpg

Back