DCD 13" Green Arrow, HT Cannibal Jack/Will reviews

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
It's a sixth scale night, at least at MROTW. I have my review up of the DC Direct deluxe 13" Green Arrow, a figure that's a real disappointment. Why? Because he's almost perfect...almost...and then there's those damn bendy hands. Normally I don't abuse a figure for a single issue this much, but it's so critical that Green Arrow be able to hold his bow and arrows well - and that you don't end up going gray trying to do get him in a decent pose.

The guest review from Jeff Parker looks at two new Hot Toys POTC figures - Will Turner and Cannibal Jack! He has his usual great review and photos for us.

Over at QSE, I break the 12" pattern with a review of a couple Primeval figures. Fans of the BBC show should check out this line by Character Online.

You can find all the links at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading!

Michael
MWC

I can't wait for Cannibal Jack!

Great reveiw -- I'm so pysched.

May I make one suggestion: on the listing page, it says Cannibal Jack and Will, but the rating has Will's first, then Jack's. It's confusing sometimes as I've noticed this before when looking for ratings of figures past. Makes it look like Cannibal Jack is only 3 1/2 stars. Just saying...

https://www.mwctoys.com/reviews-sixth.htm

i know you're not responsible for the POTC review but DAMN YOU!!! for posting these. i canceled Will but now im not so sure i want to let him go. he really looks like a great figure. decisions decisions. im still keeping that jack though. that has got to be one of the best figures ever. you'd have to pry it out of my dead craws if you wanna take it from me.

Great reviews - I really can't wait for Cannibal Jack now. And I have to agree with you about GA, the bendy hands are particularly frustrating for this character. I would have taken points off for the belt/quiver strap being the same dark green as the boots and arm guards when it's supposed to be a different green.

Bummer about the hands on GA... hopefully DCD will pay attention and move towards the sculpted hands. The only figure I have so far is the GL and for him the bendy hands actually look pretty good, nice sculpt and can hold a few nice open poses well. Biggest downside is he can't hold the lantern very well :monkey2

But for someone that needs to be able to hold and manipulate a weapon (especially bow and arrows) bendies are a no go.

Great reviews, both of them. I was anticipating Green Arrow, but I guess he's as average as the rest of the line. Darn.

For me, Green Arrow is a bit disappointing because he has a lot of potential and he's a favorite character. However he's just a "bit" disappointing and for me, still an great representation of the character. These 2 things, the bendies and the belt color keep him from being perfect - but I still like him a lot.

Over at QSE, I break the 12" pattern with a review of a couple Primeval figures. Fans of the BBC show should check out this line by Character Online.

BBC?
Nope, not guilty - it's an ITV show (Independant television - the 3rd channel... and, apart from Harry Hill, pretty much devoid of anything watchable).

Nick

Good, honest review, Michael, but please, shift GA's belt buckle to the center of his waist! :lol

For me, Green Arrow is a bit disappointing because he has a lot of potential and he's a favorite character. However he's just a "bit" disappointing and for me, still an great representation of the character. These 2 things, the bendies and the belt color keep him from being perfect - but I still like him a lot.

It's the potential that hurt so much for me this time. The rest of the figure really does look terrific, so the bendy hands bothered me all the more.

Good, honest review, Michael, but please, shift GA's belt buckle to the center of his waist! :lol

Ain't going to happen. Like I said in the review, the only way I could do it was to shift the belts up and to the left, and that moves the buckle over. You can probably get it there with a lot of careful work, but I'm not breaking the belt (like I've heard with some many folks), just to get it there.

Great reviews again--my wallet thanks me for staying away from the DCD 13" line and every review you've done solidifies that!

You had me at craptacular.

Dude, don't you understand that to an American it's all the same thing? :D

lol, yeah... but for all it's faults Auntie Beeb doesn't deserve to be tarred by the accusation it had anything to with Primeval ;)

And a quick, non-drastic fix for Green Arrow's hands - Dragon have several pairs of gauntletted gloves like these...
https://www.monkeydepot.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1968
... in the pairs I have the wrist attachment inside just pulls out leaving hollow gloves; these can then be jammed on the end of GA's arms. Admittedly they look a little undersized though only slightly ugly... but they do hold a bow (and once you sliced along the trigger finger) an arrow. Trouble is then you're fighting the rest of DCD's p*sspoor articulation to try to get a decent action pose :p

Nick

Ain't going to happen. Like I said in the review, the only way I could do it was to shift the belts up and to the left, and that moves the buckle over. You can probably get it there with a lot of careful work, but I'm not breaking the belt (like I've heard with some many folks), just to get it there.

Wuss! (says the guy who broke his first buckle!) :banghead

Yea, I'm not even taliing it off to store it. I don't have any place to display it right now, but I don't even want to risk unhooking it again!

I broke my buckle right off, but since I glued it, it's been fine. I'm going to take it off to paint the belt too - hopefully that will work.

The cannibal Jack portrait captures the character so completely that I bought an extra loose one and will have it repainted without the tribal markings. I saw the Davey Jones prototype last week -shame the figure isn't taller than Will. Thanks for the excellent reviews, gents.

Back