Forbidden Names

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chimera 1

Super Freak
Reaction score
Does anyone know the lore or history behind forbidden names. In movies such as Harry Potter and The Village, the speak of creatures or persons whose names cannot be spoken. I was wodering if anyone knew anything about this. I am not making any jokes or anything I am really interested to know. I know it is even in religion that demons won't reveal their true names but I am really curious as to why. Does anyone know anything about this? This is a serious thread.

Well, you can atest people not speaking an enemies' names to fear. They are afraid of speaking the name and don't want to even think of the thing. Don't know if that help you, but I don't know if there's any historical significance to it.

If you know someone's true name it gives you power over them or lets them exert power over you. In Jewish tradition you are not allowed to speak the true name of God and that is why you'll sometimes see "God" written "G_d" in some Jewish texts. I'm not sure why this is since Yahweh is the name that must not be spoken.

But check out Hero With a Thousand Faces - I'm sure there's something about the power of names in there.

If you know someone's true name it gives you power over them or lets them exert power over you. In Jewish tradition you are not allowed to speak the true name of God and that is why you'll sometimes see "God" written "G_d" in some Jewish texts. I'm not sure why this is since Yahweh is the name that must not be spoken.

But check out Hero With a Thousand Faces - I'm sure there's something about the power of names in there.

Cool. Thanks. I saw an episode of Paranormal State and the guy wouldn't let anyone say the demons name that was after him. Thanks for the info. i am going to dig into this topic. I am extremely interested now. Thanks.

In Jewish tradition you are not allowed to speak the true name of God and that is why you'll sometimes see "God" written "G_d" in some Jewish texts. I'm not sure why this is since Yahweh is the name that must not be spoken.

Interesting, I did not know that. :cool:

They do it in order to preserve the sanctity of the thought; the idea behind a sacred name is very real; in my religion names are also very important. For the Jews at least, even a translation or transliteration should be treated accordingly.

As for unspeakable names which are evil instead of good, I'm not sure. I think it's out of fear, which is why I think people should use the names--it gives courage, just like it did for Harry. That's why the media often refers to dictators or terrorists by their first names.

You must not speak a forbidden name, because it makes the unmentionables ears burn. Then they try to seek out who has been whispering about them, which is just a plain rude thing to do. Once they hunt you down, your names not worth mudd, or mentioning, lest you wish to meet the same fate.

I think the story telling devices and the religious implications can be traced to something I remember learning in psychology class. They talked about how our brains process language and how our brains work and that our names are like dog whistles. If you're in a crowed room with a lot of people talking and someone across the room says your name (or the name of someone you love or any word that has special meaning linked up in your head) your brain can pick it up. I think primitive man who didn't understand how the brain worked created myths about names having power and how if you speak your enemy's name they hear you, etc. because of this.

Back