Signature or no Signature?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colossus

Super Freak
Reaction score
Just a question. among my fellow collectors is a signed statue bring more value to your statue than a unsigned statue, depending on what it is and who signed it? or would you just have the artist sign the box it came in?

To me, it would depend on where it is signed. I would actually not want a piece signed after the fact on the upper part of the base. If it was not originally intended to be a signature piece with a specific autograph plate, then I would want the signature on the bottom. Writing across the top surface of the base with a metallic Sharpie (or whatever) doesn't appeal to me. And a signature on the box isn't as big a deal either, because the box is just going to sit in the attic.

One of these days, I am going to get Andy B. to sign my Luke, Leia and Han PF bases, and it will be on the bottom side by the edition number.

I like the way you think, across the bottom would bethe only place i would prefer any signature, i am going to get a chance at getting Clayburn Moore to sign some of my prized statues an was just inquiring what would be a good place to have a signature placed.

i wouldnt want an autograph on the top of the base either. just doesnt look cool and even though i know these artists and respect their work many people who see my collectibles dont really know anything about them. so an autograph would be lost on them. i only like the boxes autographed. i remember i bought an angel figure off ebay once and it turned out it was from oluf hartvigson himself and he offered to sign the box for me. that was pretty cool.

I guess with a 12" figure, the signature would have to be on the top of the stand. I think that would be OK, but the stands are interchangeable and not specific to each particular figure. So with a 12" figure, I guess a box signature is the way to go.

I was thinking about a statue, bust or PF.

I don't care for autographs at all.

So a signature does not have any added value for me, it even devalues the piece if it's on top of the base.

Well, aparently I'm one of the very few who DO like the signature on the top of the base. What's the point of letting it sign on the bottom? You will never see it if you display the statue as it was intented to! :confused:

If it adds any value to the statue, well I guess that would be different for everybody, as some of the people above stated. I for one would say it raises the value, at least for me.

I'd say across the bottom as well (sorry Polylord) next to the edition size and other bits. The signatures are a nice thing to have, but I think having a metallic sharpie signature across the top looks funky. But I will agree getting the top of a 12" base signed would make the most sense.

And if you're getting carded figures signed, have the front signed, but then of course you don't get to open it.

I think that covers the main ones.

I also like top of the base on my statues. I like to see it immediately. Dunno about increased value (for resale), but I don't care. It adds just that much more to my own appreciation of the piece.

Thanks for all the great advice and opinions, I see a lot of good points depending on what type of base it is and i see the point of the Collectors box being signed also, I am not plannig on selling any of my collection at this time but if I ever was to sell a signed statue would it raise the value I guess it would just depend on the future buyer, Thanks again

I don't normally go in for autographs, but I had the opportunity to get Roger Moore to sign my Moore PF and I was going to have it done in gold ink over the top of the base. Unfortunately it didn't work out - but he may be back!

Well, aparently I'm one of the very few who DO like the signature on the top of the base. What's the point of letting it sign on the bottom? You will never see it if you display the statue as it was intented to! :confused:

I agree, why even bother getting it signed if you are going to put it under the base.

The idea of worth is up to you as the buyer/seller.
If you would pay more for a signed piece, then to you it is worth more.
As a seller, you can only sell something for what someone will give, or else you will never sell it.
People can tell you it is worth $10, but people want it, yet none of them will give you $10, is it really worth $10????

Doesn't add any value for me, so I just get the box signed...like I did with Commander Bly...

For me it would depend on the base itself and who was signing it.

Here is a for instance: I would love David Prowse and James Earl Jones to sign the edges of the Vader PF Base (not the top or the bottom - I think then the sigs would look like 'name plates' and be quite classy)

I'd love Frank Miller to sign the top of the Base for my Miller Batman B&W

If the base was impressive by itself (i.e. the Yoda / Luke PF) I'd consider getting the bottom signed.

If it was an artist signature, I think Id aim for the bottom of the base.

The only kinda signature that I would allow, would be on the box of a 12" figure.

Just a question. among my fellow collectors is a signed statue bring more value to your statue than a unsigned statue, depending on what it is and who signed it? or would you just have the artist sign the box it came in?

WOW interesting. I got mine signed right smack dab on the statue. I had my thanos on throne signed by the entire infinity guantlet team on the legs torso and armor. I think it looks awesome in gold flake.

Back