Discovery Channel: How It's Made

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcummins

Universal MODster
Reaction score
The Discovery Channel has a show called "How It's Made" which covers... well, how things are made! There is an episode that shows how pinball machines are made, which was on tonight. To my utter surprise, the pinball machine being made was the Stern company's "Lord of the Rings"!!! Really amazing! Showed the "sword" rails, Balrog, Aragorn, etc. all being installed on the table!

The only thing I really don't like about the show is prevalent in this episode; it really just shows how complex products are "assembled", not really "made".

I'll have to keep an eye peeled for that. The appeal of the show really though is that the process is usually fascinating for even the most mundane products.

I love that show. Sorry I missed that one. I feel the same way though, they don't really go into much detail about how the parts are "made" really. They could if they didn't cram so much into that 1/2 hour show.

This show is great for just kinda zoning out... such a soothing voice and no real demands on my mind. Love it!

There's another show coming called "Cool Stuff: How it works" that is in the same vain, but shows how things work with the help of things like high-speed photography! For instance, when a dog drinks (laps up) water from a bowl, his tongue forms a "cup" to pull the water into his mouth! What the high-speed photography showed however, is that the cup is formed on the underside, not facing outward! They then showed how sound can break a glass. The high-speed film shows what the eye can't possibly see... that the sound actually makes the rim of the glass deform from round to oval, a lot! It is just so fast we can't see it, and of course, eventually the deforming causes a crack that then spreads and BAM! Very, very cool!!!

I like to put this show on when it's time to go to bed, or a nap. That monotone narrator puts me right out, like golf or baseball on TV.

You are a strange bird indeed Cummins :lol

You want strange... after any prime time shows on the major networks are over, the channels I watch the most are... wait for it...

...Discovery Channel, Science Channel, Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, The Learning Channel, The History Channel and Disney Toon Channel! Science and cartoons, what a mix!!! :google :rotfl

You want strange... after any prime time shows on the major networks are over, the channels I watch the most are... wait for it...

...Discovery Channel, Science Channel, Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, The Learning Channel, The History Channel and Disney Toon Channel! Science and cartoons, what a mix!!! :google :rotfl

I'm right there with you, except I add in SciFi for TZ and not so much on the Nickelodeon or Toon Disney.

Although a few years ago Toon Disney used to play late night black and white... I used to watch that after getting home from the bars. Nothing like 1920's and 30's cartoons to relax after a hard nights drinking :rock

I really wish there was an action figure segment or something at least similar to what Sideshow does (if not Sideshow themselves). I still can't wrap my head around the ENTIRE production process.

2llf520.gif

Yeah, I've been an animation fan since about the age of 5 or 6! Especially the classic theatrical shorts from Warner Bros., MGM and Disney. I can still watch just about any Warner Bros. cartoon no matter that I've seen most of them 100s (yes 100s) of times! And some of the newest stuff is actually very good! Try watching Avatar:The Last Airbender, or Ed, Edd & Eddie! :D

Yeah, I've been an animation fan since about the age of 5 or 6! Especially the classic theatrical shorts from Warner Bros., MGM and Disney. I can still watch just about any Warner Bros. cartoon no matter that I've seen most of them 100s (yes 100s) of times! And some of the newest stuff is actually very good! Try watching Avatar:The Last Airbender, or Ed, Edd & Eddie! :D

The Three Little Bops :chew

Back