Glass Shelves???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amir

Super Freak
Reaction score
Ok, is there a website or some way I can figure out how thick I need to make my glass shelves to be able to accommodate 120-150 Ibs of weight? The glass shelves will be 46 inches wide, 18 inches deep, and has L bracket supports at the ends.

Last edited:
That sounds like it could be expensive, I have no idea, mabey give your local auto glass shop a call because I don't think normal glass is going to hold that kind of weight.

I actually got the answer to my question from a forum member here, Joe (Chavez). Looks like 1/2 inch tempered glass would hold that much weight easily, the trick is to make sure your support system, L Brackets, etc...can also handle the weight. The glass may not give out but your support for the glass may if not secure enough. Big thanks to Joe! :rock

Yeah, I was advise three L brackets but just to extra,extra safe I might go with four, two on the ends and two closer to the center.

I actually got the answer to my question from a forum member here, Joe (Chavez). Looks like 1/2 inch tempered glass would hold that much weight easily, the trick is to make sure your support system, L Brackets, etc...can also handle the weight. The glass may not give out but your support for the glass may if not secure enough. Big thanks to Joe! :rock

I told you 1/4 tempered Amir.

DSC00174.jpg

Here's a pic of the display that I bought some years ago.You can see that it has 3 racks on the back with the 3 brackets supporting the glass,the glass is not tempered BTW.Now in your case if you have 2 racks on each end and one in the middle that's all you'll need.You won't even have to use tempered glass.But if your just going to use the 2 racks on each side,then 1/4 tempered glass is the way to go.

Last edited:
Ok 1/4 inch tempered for 150 Ibs of weight is good then (you sure I don't want my statues crashing down :D, I called some glass cutting places and they recommended 1/2 inch)? I missed that, here is a pic of my display:

My_Display01.jpg

My_Display03.jpg

Display_Track.jpg

If you put the third bracket in,then you don't need 1/2 glass.1/2 is too much for a shelf,and it's going to be heavy on it's own.The glass really doesn't have to be that strong unless it's like those counter top displays.

Ok, good to know, one other question or problem I have is the two end L bracket tracks that are in right now are custom built, so the L brackets for the shelving is a custom piece that I can not buy at a hardware store, and the L bracket is not 18inches long (the depth the glass shelves will be) and I am worried this could be a problem, they are between 16-12 inches long. I noticed on your shelving the supports ran the full length of your shelf from back to front. Will I have a problem if the supports only run half or a little over half the length of the glass from back to front?

Ok, good to know, one other question or problem I have is the two end L bracket tracks that are in right now are custom built, so the L brackets for the shelving is a custom piece that I can not buy at a hardware store, and the L bracket is not 18inches long (the depth the glass shelves will be) and I am worried this could be a problem, they are between 16-12 inches long. I noticed on your shelving the supports ran the full length of your shelf from back to front. Will I have a problem if the supports only run half or a little over half the length of the glass from back to front?

Yes,that will be a problem for sure! I would like to see the shelve supports if at all possible.

I will snap some pics and post them tomorrow, thanks again.

Yes,that will be a problem for sure! I would like to see the shelve supports if at all possible.

I managed to take the pics tonight :),

Here are the L brackets they fit into the track, originally this shelving unit had different depth length shelving so the L brackets are all different sizes. I also took some pics of the track:

LBracket01.jpg

LBracket02.JPG

LBracket04.JPG

Last edited:
Back