Sideshow 1/4 Scale Robocop Love it or hate?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

General Kenobi

Freaked Out
Reaction score
I just got my Premium Format RoboCop from Sideshow on Friday and I love it. I have read post on other threads from collectors noting that there are inaccuracies in the model and accessories and would like to start this thread to see what everyone thinks. I think it is a very cool piece and everyone that has seen mine so far thinks it is awesome. Comments? Photos of yours?

It's an awesome piece, and I definitely love it. Some of the skepticism made me doubt whether I should hunt one down, but I'm glad I ignored the criticisms.

I think some of the negatives of the statue are blown out of proportion. I would say some of the problems with the LOTR PFs are much more prominent (which I also love).

I dunno, this seems like it could form into an argument thread over whose right and whose wrong.

But I feel when people say the negatives are blown out of proportion, they are just trying to justify their purchase for a mediocre, overpriced piece. I believe the negatives far outweigh the positives. That's my opinion.

I dunno, this seems like it could form into an argument thread over whose right and whose wrong.

But I feel when people say the negatives are blown out of proportion, they are just trying to justify their purchase for a mediocre, overpriced piece. I believe the negatives far outweigh the positives. That's my opinion.

What do you think the negatives are? No judgments - just curious.

I saw Bazzo22s clip yes. I agree with him on all of the negatives he mentions.

General Kenobi, I posted this over at the RoboCop Archives but for sake of laying out my negatives on the piece, and for discussion starters, I'll post it here:

Let's start off with inaccuracies.

First off the head is way too tall or high, whatever you want to call it. Here's a picture courtesy of a poster at statue forums, also from this general pic you can see that the body is too skinny mainly in the torso, and the chin guard is too long.
p1000791nr4.jpg

Now here's a good front head shot, you can already see a wider and slightly upward angle of the chest armor that the SS PF has pointing down:
robo1-1.jpg

Notice how oblong the head looks on the SS version, it needs to be squashed down, and notice the height of the head from the visor up, way too tall....even the visor itself is slightly too wide.

Next is side of the head, and shoulder width from the side:

SS: Notice the squashed and too narrow head even from the side as well as the far too skinny upper arm and shoulder, which should have been as wide as the forearm below it but is not:

p1000787wz6.jpg

From the movie:
robo1-5.jpg

Overly skinny torso, and skinny chest/back plate:
p1000793cq6.jpg

Notice anything strange about the waist, and chest bulk in relation to the head size?
Yea the head is way too big while the body under it looks way too thin.
robo1-6.jpg

The size comparison of a fan made photoshop clearly shows a more accurate looking robo just by stretching and squashing some body parts:
https://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=62860&page=9

Overall I am most displeased with the lack of quality and accuracy this figure has. Taken into account the big and misshapen head, overly skinny body, sour lemon face mouth, and lack luster paint job. If you want more bang for your buck and a more screen accurate representation of Robo...Hot Toys is still the way to go.

I agree it could be better. It is out of proportion and the paint is a very bland. But overall it has been very harshly criticized. When it sits amongst a collection of film memorabilia it looks good. I'm still hoping another company will develop a more accurate Robo but for now this one is fine.

I saw Bazzo22s clip yes. I agree with him on all of the negatives he mentions.

General Kenobi, I posted this over at the RoboCop Archives but for sake of laying out my negatives on the piece, and for discussion starters, I'll post it here:

Let's start off with inaccuracies.

First off the head is way too tall or high, whatever you want to call it. Here's a picture courtesy of a poster at statue forums, also from this general pic you can see that the body is too skinny mainly in the torso, and the chin guard is too long.
p1000791nr4.jpg

Now here's a good front head shot, you can already see a wider and slightly upward angle of the chest armor that the SS PF has pointing down:
robo1-1.jpg

Notice how oblong the head looks on the SS version, it needs to be squashed down, and notice the height of the head from the visor up, way too tall....even the visor itself is slightly too wide.

Next is side of the head, and shoulder width from the side:

SS: Notice the squashed and too narrow head even from the side as well as the far too skinny upper arm and shoulder, which should have been as wide as the forearm below it but is not:

p1000787wz6.jpg

From the movie:
robo1-5.jpg

Overly skinny torso, and skinny chest/back plate:
p1000793cq6.jpg

Notice anything strange about the waist, and chest bulk in relation to the head size?
Yea the head is way too big while the body under it looks way too thin.
robo1-6.jpg

The size comparison of a fan made photoshop clearly shows a more accurate looking robo just by stretching and squashing some body parts:
https://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=62860&page=9

Overall I am most displeased with the lack of quality and accuracy this figure has. Taken into account the big and misshapen head, overly skinny body, sour lemon face mouth, and lack luster paint job. If you want more bang for your buck and a more screen accurate representation of Robo...Hot Toys is still the way to go.

That's Cool! But yeah, the chin guard is too long.

It's awful - the mouth (particularly the way it sinks in) is the thing that ruins the whole peice. Cant understand why people would even want it cos of that.

...Now here's a good front head shot, you can already see a wider and slightly upward angle of the chest armor that the SS PF has pointing down...

Not true. On mine the chest armor is angled slightly upward.

...Notice how oblong the head looks on the SS version, it needs to be squashed down, and notice the height of the head from the visor up, way too tall....even the visor itself is slightly too wide...

I think it depends on the picture angle; in person, it doesn't look bad at all, and looks natural.

...as well as the far too skinny upper arm and shoulder, which should have been as wide as the forearm below it but is not...

I think it looks pretty much just like the movie still. The arm is bent there, but it still looks wider than the shoulders.

Overly skinny torso, and skinny chest/back plate...
Yea the head is way too big while the body under it looks way too thin...

Yes, the head may be a tiny bit large, but nothing too bad, and I'm not seeing the "skinny chest"; in person, it is bulky and looks pretty good.

...sour lemon face mouth, and lack luster paint job...

The mouth looks almost identical to your still, what is the problem? In most of the movie, he is supposed to be showing no emotions and the mouth captures that pretty well.

The paint job on mine is superb and looks very acurate.

I don't think you can accurately judge this piece from pictures; you have to see it in person. I think it is a fantastic piece and while it may not be absolutely perfect, there isn't a single statue out there that is. Unless you've seen it in person, I don't think you can appreciate this piece.

here is a comparison pic of the sideshow robo to the Hot Toys version (with flash):

robocop-014.jpg

In that picture, the Hot Toys head looks even taller in comparison to the body than the Sideshow PF does. And the chest proportions look about the same. I really don't see what others apparently see... :confused:

Not true. On mine the chest armor is angled slightly upward.

I think it depends on the picture angle; in person, it doesn't look bad at all, and looks natural.

I think it looks pretty much just like the movie still. The arm is bent there, but it still looks wider than the shoulders.

Yes, the head may be a tiny bit large, but nothing too bad, and I'm not seeing the "skinny chest"; in person, it is bulky and looks pretty good.

The mouth looks almost identical to your still, what is the problem? In most of the movie, he is supposed to be showing no emotions and the mouth captures that pretty well.

The paint job on mine is superb and looks very acurate.

I don't think you can accurately judge this piece from pictures; you have to see it in person. I think it is a fantastic piece and while it may not be absolutely perfect, there isn't a single statue out there that is. Unless you've seen it in person, I don't think you can appreciate this piece.

I respect your opinion but honestly I don't see what your looking at. The head is totally misshapen and out of proportion, and upper arms are way too tiny. And I disagree the mouth is terrible.

Oh and the HT head in that shot looks taller because it is angled down so you can see more of the top of the head...making it appear to be I guess. It looks perfect.

I respect your opinion but honestly I don't see what your looking at. The head is totally misshapen and out of proportion, and upper arms are way too tiny. And I disagree the mouth is terrible.

Looks like another huge toy from the SS PF line.:monkey3

P.S PF's that aren't toys are: Grievous,Vader,Liea and the biker scout looks good but I have'nt seen it in person.

Looks like another huge toy from the SS PF line.:monkey3

P.S PF's that aren't toys are: Grievous,Vader,Liea and the biker scout looks good but I have'nt seen it in person.

Exactly...It could have been so much better, so awesome. It could have been THE ESSENTIAL RoboCop statue. Instead we have people trying to justify the shatty job, and the subpar overpriced toy that SS put out instead.

Exactly...It could have been so much better, so awesome. It could have been THE ESSENTIAL RoboCop statue. Instead we have people trying to justify the shatty job, and the subpar overpriced toy that SS put out instead.

Yeah,good luck to those defending this thing.:lol

Yeah,good luck to those defending this thing.:lol

Yep!:lol

I am a HUGE RoboCop fan...which is why I'll never own this statue. It's kinda like owning RoboCop 3, if you do, your not a true fan...unless it came in the trilogy then you burned it, smashed it, threw it away, etc...

it's definitely not perfect by any means. but it most definitely has its merits, and looks much better in person than in pics. and just because we own it does not in any way diminish our love for the character (and utter dislike of the sequels, especially part 3)

to each his own!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back