New feature "Why Michael is Wrong", Medicom Venom Punisher review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
Things are a bit dry right now, although that's usually a sign of a big flood of stuff hitting. But that means for tonight, I don't have a review of my own. But I did put together a new feature titled "Why Michael is Wrong". Actually, the title is a bit misleading, but you'll see what I mean. The link is down under the title "Latest Feature".

I did put up a guest review of the Medicom Venom Punisher, from Devin Lewis. You can find all the links at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading, and have a terrific Easter Weekend!

Michael
MWC

Michael/Mr. Crawford, I've been reading your stuff for years, and I don't understand why you would think that you'd need to go out of your way to justify or give reason to your review scores.

But good write-up anyway, although it feels like it was done solely in response to a certain recent review. :rolleyes:

I've gotten those same comments on every review - just because you don't see them doesn't mean I don't :D

I'd started that feature well before the review, because I find the subject fascinating. How people form their opinions is something that colors not just our perceptions of toys, but everything. I've always enjoyed psychology, especially in relation to marketing.

But I have no doubt that some will assume it has to do with Maul, even though only one of the five things I discussed really related :D

I find it funny that you (or anybody else) writes a review of something and then people actually have the gaul to get mad at you for it. Like what you think changes what they have to think of it... geesh. Its fine to disagree but to get upset about any review is just plain stupid.

I just noticed your Batmobile review! But where can you order the Super Elite version? I didn't even know they were doing different versions.

I broke down and ordered one when they first went up for preorder, but I don't how it's going to pull off that price tag.

I paid more than that for the fuzzy one at SDCC. And I didn't even know to have George Barris autograph it. He was sitting right there!

Ouch - you bought the flocked one, eh? I couldn't bring myself to part with that much money for that particular model, but I bet it turns out to be one of those exclusives that always goes up in price.

Too long of a read,the review was nice though.Medi venom as punisher looks kickass.(i just don't care about the what if's)

Yea, the title of the article was purposefully misleading, since critical evaluations are merely opinion, and thus not truly 'wrong'. But years ago I noticed that even stuff that was such utter crap that you'd think everyone would hate it, still had its defenders. And stuff that was truly a work of art still had its haters.

Of course, I also keep a short list of article ideas like this handy for when the front porch is empty a little too long. :D

I think it was a great article and hopefully it will better the reviews of some of the freelance guys who send you stuff (besides Jeff, they tend to be a little less picky than some of us).

I've also noticed a trend of retroactive reviewing these days that might be kind of fun when your dry spells hit. Gamer Informer (probably b/c of Angry Video Game Nerd) re-reviews old games and even Lee's looks back at figures that thought were great before and now they're singing a different tune. It's funny how feelings and opinions change over time--I never thought they'd be a better Alien than the 1979 Kenner version--and I was waaay wrong on that one.

It is a great article, but anyone guilty of any of those fallacies would never admit it. Personally I tend to not mention the bad things unless they really bug me. If I looked for flaws in everything, I'd never be happy.

That said - I still think Venom Punisher is a dumb idea for a figure.

Still a fun looking figure, but agreed... a really dumb idea :lol

And interesting piece Michael, some good insights into why we bicker so much on boards like this.

It is a great article, but anyone guilty of any of those fallacies would never admit it. Personally I tend to not mention the bad things unless they really bug me. If I looked for flaws in everything, I'd never be happy.

That said - I still think Venom Punisher is a dumb idea for a figure.

OK, I'll bite at that one and admit that I constantly struggle with my own reviews falling prey to Fallacy #1 - Natural Tendency Toward Optimism/Pessimism. I've only recently been able to somewhat tame that beast and, as such, refined how I structure the reviews.

It is a very tough and fine line to walk, and I applaud all of my fellow reviewers for tackling product after product...especially Michael since he deftly handles such a massive workload. No, I may not always agree with his conclusions, but the man sticks to his guns and you have to respect that.

Plus, he always gives the MacLeod Clan some love!!! :D

Just read the article, very enlightening. I have to admit as much as I like to think of myself as a person unencumbered by 'too' many preconceived ideas of what any given product is going to be like untill it's sitting in my grubby mitts, I could still see myself in many of those categoroies.
I guess at the end of the day I 'want' to like what I've decided to own, and though I am occaisionally let down by certain aspects of any given figure, unless it's total and utter garbage (luckilly this has NEVER happened, as I guess my decisions are based on whatever early images I can lay my hands on of any given product) I like to see the positive over the negatives.
That said I still can't truly justify in my own head spending the amounts we do on all these 'collectables' sometimes. I know it's all relative but I started out with a monthly budget of £30...where did that go!

Back