Hell Hath Frozen Over: Breakfast Club Remake...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
One of my all-time favorite movies is set to be raped by untalented, unoriginal modern day Hollywood.....when the hell did redoing something count as a new innovative idea?!?!? What the ++++!!! What's hilarious is that one could argue that the pitch could be read and not have the slightest connection but of course they have to throw it in there and now no matter what that connection can never be broken!!! :banghead

'Bumped' is 'Breakfast' at an airport
By Steven Zeitchik

Feb 29, 2008
NEW YORK -- Veteran producer Bridget Johnson will produce "Bumped," a modern-day version of "The Breakfast Club," with McG protege Anna Mastro attached to direct from a script by Lizzy Weiss.

"Bumped" is a comedy-drama revolving around five twentysomethings -- including a corporate go-getter, a musician and a flirt -- who normally wouldn't be friends but who get to know one another when they're bumped from a flight and wind up stranded at Chicago's O'Hare Airport.

The project marks the directorial debut for Mastro, who worked closely with director-producer McG on his "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle" and was an associate producer on his "Stay Alive."

Mastro also has developed and produced the CW's "Pussycat Dolls" series and, like McG, shot music videos.

The film will be financed independently and later set up at a studio; it likely won't shoot until the SAG strike situation is resolved. Johnson ("As Good as It Gets"), who was an exec at Touchstone as well as at James L. Brooks' Gracie Films, produced the upcoming Miramax release "Smart People."

As anyone born since 1960 (or has common sense) knows, the '80s teen comedies of John Hughes should be considered untouchable. Not because they're perfect masterpieces, but because they're generational icons that served a very specific purpose in a very particular time. Screenwriter Lizzy Weiss and McG protege Anna Mastro (McG is a mentor!) apparently lack this common sense, and have plans to make an updated version of The Breakfast Club. Bumped, as it's called, takes the familiar Hughes story, moves it to an airport, kicks up the ages to "twentysomethings", and redefines the mismatched archetypes, giving us "a corporate go-getter", "a musician", and "a flirt" stranded at O'Hare.

Given only three of the five leads, we're left to speculate on what other vague characterizations may be included in this unnecessary update. So I'm thinking it will be something like this:

the blogger - What's hotter and more specific to twentysomethings than blogging? A quiet girl, iPod buds perpetually in-ear, the blogger is often berated by the accusation that "You're going to blog about this, aren't you?" And you know she will

Can't wait to see the Lindsay Lohan in Pretty in Pink and the cast of High School Musical in Some Kind of Wonderful
Son a +++++! They suck. :monkey2

As anyone born since 1960 (or has common sense) knows, the '80s teen comedies of John Hughes should be considered untouchable. Not because they're perfect masterpieces, but because they're generational icons that served a very specific purpose in a very particular time.

So very true.

Aside from the set-up - 5 disparate characters thrown together unwillingly - it isn't necessarily a remake. You could keep doing this formula over and over again and if the characters are interesting, the movie will be too.

But McG's involved - so forget that.

weaksauce.jpg

Aside from the set-up - 5 disparate characters thrown together unwillingly - it isn't necessarily a remake. You could keep doing this formula over and over again and if the characters are interesting, the movie will be too.

Right, I wonder why in holy hell would they tie the Breakfast Club to this? Once you start making that connection it never goes away.:monkey4

So very true.

Exactly, its not a remake at all... just a similar situation.

Then why make the connections at all!?!??! I've read on five different websites that the producers themselves are making it.....its NOT THE SAME!!! Its not even in a high school!!! Why the hell is this making me so insane!!!

frustrated2.jpg

It's understandable that they're trying to make a connection.

Studio executives have notoriously short attention spans. The common wisdom is whenever you pitch something you have to compare it to two other successful movies. I.e. - It's Jurassic Park meets Magnolia! Or it's Breakfast Club meets St. Elmo's Fire! Speed was pitched as "Die Hard on a bus!"

So even it has absolutely no connection to another project, you throw in a film title to compare it to. Making it a title that most GenXers can relate to makes it more saleable.

So very true.

But McG's involved - so forget that.

:lol:lol:lol
Yeah, that guy is a hack.

They can do all the remakes they want.

It will never take away from the originals.

They can make a Breakfast Club 2 and it will never take away from the first.

But id they were to make a remake using today's character profiles, they would have like 20 people in detention.

In the '80's, and I am just old enough to remember, you basicly had the criminal, the athlete, the brain, the basketcase and the princess.

By the time I graduated in 95, you had the skaters, the haters, the jocks, the geeks, the farmboys, the riches, the skanks, the inbetweeners, the princesses, the criminals and the list goes on.

It doesn't take away from the original, but its still annoying that Hollywood can't survive on its own merit and has to churn out crap like this. Sadly though, movie-goers are idiots so as long as they'll continue to eat it up, Hollywood will grump it out :lol

I loved the Breakfast Club....still do. :monkey3 Glad it's not a "remake" or I would have to start a boycott. With McG ,whatever the hell his moniker is, involved, I don't plan on watching it anyway.

Remember a few years ago when Kevin Costner was going to do a remake of Casablanca?:lol

Originality is gone...

Back