How much will you pay for my collection?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtb

Super Freak
Reaction score
Recently I have been comtemplating the idea of pursuing my LOTR further as I finally see that it is an unending story despite my recently selective purchases. Having said that, I am not really willing to part with my collection which I have so painstakingly, emotionally and financially, to anyone who does not share the same passion as I am.

Having said that, apart from the physical space constraint, I do have the financial constraint at this point in time, and in order to see that my collection remains in its entirety, I am asking for some opinion as to what my collection will worth today given that you have no financial difficulty in acquiring them. Yes, I mean money is not of a concern. Of course, I must stress that, having unlimited funds doesn’t mean you will spend $10,000 on a single medallion, right? So, that’s what I am looking for, given this collection, which as a seller, requires that you must acquire in its entirety, how much are you willing to pay for it? (the list of this collection will be listed at the end of this post).

Hopefully this will give me a gauge of its worth to you, the experts, and I can let someone with the capacity to continue this pursuit.

My entire collection consists of:

1. The complete SSW collection (including both the LOTR and Muppets collection).

• 20 muppets (complete)
• 15 medallions
• 3 LOTR Artwork (lithographs and Giclee)
• 8 exclusive statues (Balrog, Ringwraith on Steed etc excluding Gandalf the Grey Bronze)
• 2 Bookends (1 with novel – item #8803, one without – item #8802)
• 46 sixth-scale statues
• 49 Busts
• 34 helms – (The Gondorian Helm Set item #950005 is considered as 1 Helm in this case)
• 9 Weapon sets
• 9 environments (note: Stone Trolls item #9702 is considered an environment)
• 4 Wall plagues
• 1 set of LOTR extended edition 5-DVD sets with the accompanying busts /environments (total : 3 items)
• LOTR Frame collection (Item #100001)

For the above, only Gimli statue and Bilbo statue are AP status

2. The partial collection of SS LOTR which includes the following:

LEGENDARY SCALE BUSTS

The Cave Troll
The Morgul Lord
Gandalf the Grey
Gandalf the Grey - Sideshow Exclusive
Sauron
PREMIUM FORMAT FIGURES
Frodo Baggins Premium Format Figure
Lurtz Premium Format Figure
Lurtz Premium Format Figure - Sideshow Exclusive
12" ACTION FIGURES
Aragorn as Strider the Ranger
Aragorn as Strider the Ranger - Sideshow Exclusive
Legolas Greenleaf
Legolas Greenleaf - Sideshow Exclusive
Boromir, Son of Denethor
Boromir, Son of Denethor - Sidehsow Exclusive
Faramir, Son of Denethor
Faramir, Son of Denethor - Sidehsow Exclusive
Frodo Baggins Sixth-Scale Figure - Sideshow Exclusive
Samwise Gamgee Sixth-Scale Figure - Sideshow Exclusive

DIAORAMAS
The Crack of Doom - Frodo and Gollum Diorama

3. NECA Pewter-Amalgama Collection & 1 snow globe

30464 8" Pewter Amalgama Aragorn
30463 8" Pewter Amalgama Legolas
30478 16" Pewter Amalgama Balrog

30191 Gollum Snow Globe -

4. Gentle Giants LOTR mini-bust and Animated Maquettes

Mini Busts

Ringwraith Ringbearer
Strider Ringbearer
Balrog
Gandalf
Elrond Ringbearer
Frodo in Orc Armor Ringbearer Mini Bust
Sam in Orc Armor Ringbearer Mini Bust
Saruman Light-Up mini Bust
Glorfindel - SDCC Exclusive 2007

Animated Maquette

Gandalf Animaquette
Legolas Animaquette
Saruman Animaquette
Ringwraith on Stead Animaquette
Ringwraith on Horse Animaquette Variant
Gimli Animaquette

5. The Partial United Cutlery LOTR Armory Collection

UC1264 Sting
UC1265 Glamdring
UC1296 Limited Edition Shards of Narsil
UC1298 Hadafang - Sword of Arwen
UC1300 Sting Scabbard
UC1380ASLB Anduril Limited Edition - Sword of King Elessar
UC1396LTNB Anduril Scabbard
UC1412 Helm of Sauron
UC1417BL Glamdring Blue Scabbard
UC1454 Limited Edition Second Age Gondorian Shield w/ Banner
UC1264 MIN 1/3 Scale Collectible Sting
UC1265 MIN 1/5 Scale Collectible Gamdring
UC1266 MIN 1/5 Scale Collectible Sword of Witchking
UC1267 MIN 1/5 Scale Collectible Narsil
UC1278 MIN 1/5 Scale Collectible Sword of the Ringwraiths
UC1380 MIN 1/5 Scale Collectible Anduril: Sword of King Elessar
UC1296 MIN 1/5 Scale Miniature The Shards of Narsil Collectible with hand-painted statue
UC1298MIN 1/5 Scale Collectible Hadafang: Sword of Arwen
UC1299MIN 1/5 Scale Collectible Sword of Strider
UC1371MIN 1/5 Scale Collectible Elven Knife of Strider /w display
UC1372MIN 1/5 Scale Collectible Fighting Knives of Legolas /w display

6. Noble Collection

NN9622 The One Ring™ Trilogy Mirage Holographic Image Chamber

7. LOTR Books collection

Note: I feel that the condition and print of the books are one of the determining factor of its value in the secondary market, please help me to evaluate them according to your knowledge of these books in the secondary market as you know it.

Publisher Year Title Format Author Ed./Print
/State Printed In Condition
Wiley 2003 "The Origins of Middle-Earth" for Dummies Softcover Greg Harvey 1/1 USA Mint
Harper-Collins 2005 "The Lord of the Rings Sketchbook" Hardcover Alan Lee 1/1 Italy VG
Houghton Mifflin 2003 "The Maps of Tolkien's Middle-Earth" Hardcover Brian Sibley; John Howe Shrinked
Barnes and Nobles 1999 "Tolkien's Ring" Hardcover David Day 2 Singapore VG
Harper-Collins 2004 "The Lord of the Rings": 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition Hardcover J.R.R. Tolkien UK Shrinked
Houghton Mifflin 2001 The Fellowship of the Ring: Visual Companion Hardcover Jude Fisher 1/1 Belgium VG
Houghton Mifflin 2002 The Two Towers: Visual Companion Hardcover Jude Fisher 1/1 Belgium VG
Houghton Mifflin 2003 The Return of the King: Visual Companion Hardcover Jude Fisher 1/1 Belgium VG
Harper-Collins 2001 The Fellowship of the Ring: Official Movie Guide (Collector's) Hardcover Brian Sibley 1/1 Italy VG
Harper-Collins 2001 The Fellowship of the Ring: Official Movie Guide Softcover Brian Sibley 1/1 UK G
Harper-Collins 2002 The Lord of the Rings: The Making of the Movie Triology Hardcover Brian Sibley 1/1 Belgium VG
Harper-Collins 2003 The Complete History of Middle-Earth : Part 1 Hardcover Christopher Tolkien UK Shrinked
Harper-Collins 2003 The Complete History of Middle-Earth : Part 2 Hardcover Christopher Tolkien UK Shrinked
Harper-Collins 2003 The Complete History of Middle-Earth : Part 3 Hardcover Christopher Tolkien UK Shrinked
Houghton Mifflin The Hobbit (Collector's Edition) Hardcover J.R.R. Tolkien Shrinked
Harper-Collins 2001 The Lord of the Rings [BOX SET] Softcover J.R.R. Tolkien Shrinked
Grafton 1992 The Lord of the Rings: 1 Volume edition Softcover J.R.R. Tolkien 2 UK Poor
Unwin 1987 The Hobbit: 50th Annivsary Edition Softcover J.R.R. Tolkien 4 UK Poor
Harper-Collins 2002 The Lord of the Rings: Movie Tie-In Edition Softcover J.R.R. Tolkien 2 Austrialia Average
Prima 2002 "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" Strategy Guide Softcover - 1/1 USA Good
Prima 2002 "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" Strategy Guide Softcover - 1/1 USA Good
Prima 2003 "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" Strategy Guide Softcover Mario De Govia 1/1 USA Good
Prima 2004 "The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age" Strategy Guide Softcover - 1/1 USA Good
Allen & Unwin 1977 "The Simarillion" Hardcover J.R.R. Tolkien 1/1/NA UK Good
Allen & Unwin 1981 "The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien" Hardcover Humphrey Carpenter 1/1/3 UK Good
Allen & Unwin 1980 "Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle-earth" Hardcover J.R.R. Tolkien 1/1 UK Good
Houghton Mifflin 2005 "The Lord of the Rings" : A Reader's Companion Hardcover Wayne. G. Hammond; Christina Scull 1/1 Italy Mint
Barnes and Nobles 2000 "The Hobbit Companion" Hardcover David Day 1 Singapore Poor
Harper-Collins 2004 The Hobbit (deluxe slipcase) Hardcover J.R.R. Tolkien 5? UK Mint
Harper-Collins 2007 The Children of Hurin (Deluxe Slipcase) Hardcover Christopher Tolkien 1 UK Mint
Harper-Collins 2007 The Children of Hurin Hardcover Christopher Tolkien 3 Italy Mint
Harper-Collins 2001 The Lord of the Rings Location Guidebook (Extended Edition) Softcover Ian Brodie Mint

8. Stamps Collection

2001 FOTR Presentation Pack New Zealand Post
2002 TTT Presentation Pack New Zealand Post
2003 ROTK Presentation Pack New Zealand Post

Unfortunately, I don’t possess any of the Isle and Man Stamps collection

9. LOTR Movie Posters (most originals)

Note: I have preserved these in its purest form – unrolled and mint in Mylar sleeve. I will give them a rating of at least 8 some of them 10 in the international recognized poster rating.

All these are US released posters, I do not possess any UK Quad or European released official posters.

Fellowship of the Ring - Teaser A 27 x 40 reprint SS
Fellowship of the Ring - Teaser B 27 x 40 reprint SS
Fellowship of the Ring - Teaser C 27 x 40 Original SS
Fellowship of the Ring - Final D 27 x 40 Original DS
Fellowship of the Ring - Final D 27 x 40 Reprint SS
The Two Towers - Teaser
(Tagline: "Continue December 18) A 27 x 40 Original DS
The Two Towers - Teaser B 27 x 40 Original DS
The Two Towers - Final - 27 x 40 Original DS
The Two Towers - Final - 27 x 40 Reprint SS
Return of the King - Teaser
(Aragorn) 27 x 40 Original DS
(Arwen) 27 x 40 Original DS
(Frodo and Sam) 27 x 40 Original DS
(Frodo) 27 x 40 Original DS
(Gandalf the White) 27 x 40 Original DS
(Gollum) 27 x 40 Original DS
Return of the King -Final 27 x 40 Original DS
Return of the King -Final 27 x 40 Reprint DS
Fellowship of the Ring - Post
(Gandalf and Frodo) 27 x 40 Original SS
The Two Towers - Post Poster
(Sam) 27 x 40 Original SS
Return of the King - Post
(Frodo and Sam) 27 x 40 Original SS
Return of the King - Post
(King Elessar) 27 x 40 Original SS
Lord of the Rings - Triology 23 x 14 MP SS
Lord of the Rings - The Cast 27 x 40 C SS
Lord of the Rings - Mordor Landscape 27 x 40 C SS
Lord of the Rings - Exclusive Cast poster 60 x 11.75 C SS

10. Japanese LOTR Chirashis

• 13 (including one as a A5-sized booklet)

11. LOTR original Soundtrack CD

• LOTR Original Movie soundtrack
• TTT Original Movie soundtrack
• ROTK Original Movie soundtrack
• LOTR Original Movie soundtrack (collector’s edition – red leather)
• TTT Original Movie soundtrack (collector’s edition )
• ROTK Original Movie soundtrack (collector’s edition)
• BBC LOTR CD recording (1995)
• LOTR Complete Recordings x2
• TTT Complete Recordings x2
• ROTK Complete Recordings x2

Note: The last 3 items are duplicated as one is sealed wrapped and one is already open.

Seriously guys, he asked for an estimate and not some silly, snide remark.

GTB,

It'll be really hard to put an estimate on your collection since you have so much stuff. Are you planning on selling all of it or just some pieces? Your SSW collection alone could be well worth over $40,000.:google

GTB,

It'll be really hard to put an estimate on your collection since you have so much stuff. Are you planning on selling all of it or just some pieces? Your SSW collection alone could be well worth over $40,000.:google

That is a lot of change my friend. Wow! Sell it and put another down payment on a house I say!:D

I guess you could say it's worth 40K (or whatever amount) on paper, but would you attract a buyer with an auction listing for the whole lot? It's hard to say.

I know what I do to keep track. I have an Excel workbook that includes every price I pay for a piece (sale price and shipping price broken out separately). Each tab is line specific, i.e. SS LOTR, GG LOTR, GG Potter, etc. So I know how much I paid for each line. Then, when I need to turn some stuff over, I have another colum that once I put in the sale date, it automatically links my cost (my purchase price plus shipping cost). Then I include what it sold for, what I charged to ship, actual shipping, and it will highlight in red if I lost money or not.

The only thing that isn't included is Ebay/Paypal fees, which I figure is ~10%. I didn't want to get that detailed.

Doing it this way also helps me keep track of what I'm waiting to have delivered on new incoming stuff. Otherwise, I'd always be wondering if etailers and ebayers sent me my preorder stuff.

I'm glad I started this when I started the hobby. I've put down 10k on LOTR SSW alone, and getting ready to trim the fat, most likely at a loss since I'm getting rid of the less popular pieces.

But I've made about 4k all together.

I have no idea how'd you calculate your collection is worth. I'd itemize each piece out in excel, and insert toy tracker going prices and come up with a sum, maybe. If you still have records of what you paid, track that too.

GTB,

Thank your kind words, but I understand that some of the fellow collectors here can be quite cheeky :D

But I am truly willing to let go if the price is right, I am thinking that if I can invest with the money... if I make it, then I will be able to get them all back if I want to ... but thats another story.

My only concern is that there will be speculators who will split up this collection, so one of my other condition is that the collector who purchase (if there is one) from me have to convince me that he or she will keep them in its entirety.

Then, there is the shipping problem... I have estimated that it will need to be shipped - literally as a cargo. Using any normal postal service will cost well over 10,000USD. Of course, I will think that if there is really someone out there who can afford it, it would not be a problem.

I know what I do to keep track. I have an Excel workbook that includes every price I pay for a piece (sale price and shipping price broken out separately). Each tab is line specific, i.e. SS LOTR, GG LOTR, GG Potter, etc. So I know how much I paid for each line. Then, when I need to turn some stuff over, I have another colum that once I put in the sale date, it automatically links my cost (my purchase price plus shipping cost). Then I include what it sold for, what I charged to ship, actual shipping, and it will highlight in red if I lost money or not.

The only thing that isn't included is Ebay/Paypal fees, which I figure is ~10%. I didn't want to get that detailed.

Doing it this way also helps me keep track of what I'm waiting to have delivered on new incoming stuff. Otherwise, I'd always be wondering if etailers and ebayers sent me my preorder stuff.

I'm glad I started this when I started the hobby. I've put down 10k on LOTR SSW alone, and getting ready to trim the fat, most likely at a loss since I'm getting rid of the less popular pieces.

But I've made about 4k all together.

I have no idea how'd you calculate your collection is worth. I'd itemize each piece out in excel, and insert toy tracker going prices and come up with a sum, maybe. If you still have records of what you paid, track that too.

Hmm.. thank you for your input. Though I have not made such a calculation, but I do keep all the receipts. However, I think how much one pay for it has little to do with how much you think it is worth, in that sense.

If someone has gotten its witchking crown for free - which is supposedly the case if you get the medallion set ordered when it was released. If he knows the market, selling it for 40USD... is a HUGE return, but will he?

Thats why I hope I will be able to get some help from you guys who have the passion for the collection to give a monetary value to it at least I have a good gauge how much to quote.

Thanks once again for your input, really appreciate it.

I would say it would be nearly impossible to find a buyer to buy the whole lot and to keep every single piece.

Your best bet to get more for your collection is to piece it out and sell it individually.

Thank your kind words, but I understand that some of the fellow collectors here can be quite cheeky :D

But I am truly willing to let go if the price is right, I am thinking that if I can invest with the money... if I make it, then I will be able to get them all back if I want to ... but thats another story.

My only concern is that there will be speculators who will split up this collection, so one of my other condition is that the collector who purchase (if there is one) from me have to convince me that he or she will keep them in its entirety.

Then, there is the shipping problem... I have estimated that it will need to be shipped - literally as a cargo. Using any normal postal service will cost well over 10,000USD. Of course, I will think that if there is really someone out there who can afford it, it would not be a problem.

What an amazing collection. I have no idea. :google I see some problems though. If you sell to someone in another country how the heck do you plan on shipping it. Problem number 2, what do you care if it stays together or eventually gets sold if. If you are selling it, it will no longer belong to you. If I had to make a guess though I would say $30,000 maybe less maybe more. I would do what Mesa said and start a spreadsheet.

I wish I have the discipline one day to put my entire collection on a map, just as you have gtb... I'm working on it, but I'm not quite there yet.

Yes! Who is she? Did she star in "Boston Legal", first season?

If you don't mind, I can send you a copy of my excel sheet as your starting template..but mine is entirely LOTR (99%), =) just pm me if you need it :chew

I think you have to do your own research so that you can come up with what YOU feel your items are worth. having another person do that for you is a waste of both your time and theirs because you may not agree with their value of something.

Back