What Do You Do?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Q

quarr

So I know from previous threads:

1. What you look like; and
2. Where you're from.

Taking it one step further... What do you do (if anything) for a living?

I do planning and administrative work for the National Health Service by day and some occasional Karaoke hosting/DJ-ing by night.

what a great thread quarr !!

Im a fashion consultant for an Italian clothing house (in London), and i do some freelance photography if the right money is offered :b

My job is my one true love in life, apart from Polystone of course!!

When i was stacking shelves in a supermarket during my time at University, i never dreamt that i would be doing what i am now.

Yeah, I like this, too.

Lurtz, your position sounds really fun!

Before I "retired" and became that dreaded word "housewife", I was most recently a Health Benefits Plan Consultant for a large national consulting firm, working in their Houston office (actually, it's in The Woodlands), here in Texas, where I worked for almost 4 years, and commuted on the weekends back to Austin. (Lots of miles on the car...) Overall I was in the health benefits industry one way or another for over 20 years.

Now I enjoy keeping my house in order, reading these boards, and catching the mailman with packages of my SS figures before my husband gets home!

:rollin

I worked for a few years as a laboratory assistant in a department of histopathology after I took my A level examinations, then I became an undergraduate at the University of London last September. I will resume undergraduate studies at the University of Surrey, Guildford, where I will be reading for a BSc in Medical Microbiology for the next 4 years, which includes a salaried year. I intend to undertake a doctorate in Boston upon graduation.

I agree - great topic. :yay

Mechanical Engineering/Tooling Design here.
Primarily for the automotive industry.

Nothing exciting, but I enjoy it a lot, and
it pays for the polystone addiction pretty well.

JS:wave

Well, for me its been doing summer jobs like working at an assembly plant this summer and other odd jobs. I will be completing my undergrad work this December with my student teaching. Upon that probably just sub until the teacher placement day where a bunch of school districts come and want to talk to potential new teachers. Then that will be my career for a long time hopefully with a Masters and a PhD in the mix at some point.

Kudos for the thread, quarr! :toast

I am employed full time as a Registered Respiratory Care Practitioner at a Level I Trauma Center (where all the really Bad auto wrecks, gun shot/stabbing, etc....are brought for care). We have an Air Medical chopper service that brings back victims from as far away as a 250 mile radius. I am assigned only to the Emergency Room, but I also do Critical Care as well. Basically my job is to take care of the patient's airway/breathing in what ever manner is therapeutic. I have done this for over 25 years now and I must love it since it certainly isn't the pay. I am one of those people who need to be pushed to the edge every now and again in order to really appreciate how precious life is. It's also why I like to kayak as extreme whitewater as I am up for (usually Class IV-V). I think I am blessed/cursed with an adrenalin rat in my brain that craves this stuff. Along with Polystone, of course.
Fav Motto: "Never Give UP" whether it's trying to save a patient or when I get in over my head on a Class V river.

Regards.........Mike V

Very interesting thread. I am a police officer here in Missouri. I am a lieutenant over patrol. So I kinda like quiet hobbies. I also have three horses (not so quiet) and two dogs (one a retired patrol dog) to keep me busy off duty.

good idea

I work for a beer distributor in Galveston, TX. We sell everything that doesn't say Anheiser Busch.

I'm the Marketing manager. I run the printshop and P.o.s. wharehouse, create all the banners and graphics, order all the advertisement, keep track of all the neons, fix all the damaged neons, help set up all of our special events(mardi gras)

This is starting to sound like my resume......lol

I'm a shrink in training, 10+ more months and I make some real money to pay for all this polystone. Right now, I have to work weekends to pay of my cc for the next few months. My work does tend to follow me, even when I'm at the post office or supermarket, so I think it's karma that I'm in this line of work. I find it very interesting, but often I'm doing this :bang , because you can only help those who want to be helped. Overall, I enjoy it.

I teach elementary school (4th grade this year), and I don't spend any time of my day making doilies as one of my friends suggests!:dance

i am a club disc jockey here in Toronto Cananda
i am also raising my 10 year old daughter Sara

great thread!!

I am a Medical Technologist. I work by myself in a local hospital laboratory on the night shift. Work ranges from "boring" to "oh my god" exciting if there is an accident or sick child. I do everything from drawing blood samples to crossmatching blood for transfusions, microbiology, hematology, chemistry, coagulation and urinalysis. The hospital I work at has a pediatric intensive care unit, so we get a lot of sick kids/babies.

I also own my own business which does occupational health testing for businesses and insurance physicals.

Two kids, two dogs, busy life!!!!
Joanna

Re: great thread!!

I am a software support manager for IBM in Austin, Texas. My team supports the OS/2 Operating System, LAN components and the IBM Internet Web Browser. I have a 9 person team in Austin, a 23 person team in Bangalore, India and an 18 person team in Riga, Latvia. All 3 teams work customer reported software bugs and we also do OS/2 Device Driver development for IBM desktop PCs and Laptops. I have worked at IBM for over 35 years and I'm planning on retiring in 2 years.

2 grown boys in their 20s (1 is married) and 3 dogs.

"Work ranges from 'boring' to 'oh my god' exciting if there is an accident or sick child."

Joanna--I had such a laugh when I read this particular statement. I also get excited if a child gets sick--but only if its one of my pain-in-the-butts who won't ruin my day. :medic :yay

I am kidding, of course!!

I am a Mechanical Technician in a Paper Mill.
I Millwright and I am a Pipe-fitter and a certified Welder.
I also own and operate a Internet business on the side. I hope to retire from the Paper Mill in 5-7 years and operate my business on a full time basis. I do not want to divulge my internet site as it would make available more information than I care to disclose here.(Don't want to show lurkers where there is a ton of Polystone..LOL LOL)
Bill
:smokin

Re: What do you do?

My life is existence. I have an easy dead end job, that leaves me with about A$30 a week after bills and sustenance. It all goes on Sideshow figures, to keep my spirits up. I am trapped in my rented flat, except for this board. I used to be depressed, but now I'm just sad, which is a big step up, as I feel much happier than before. I have no prospects and feel any ambition would be futile, due to being non financial. I have foregone materialism, and find family and friends to be where wealth and happiness lie. I have two close friends, and have found a number of friends on this board. I don't really know what they are like, except they are exceptional and loving people. I dread anything happening because it would likely upset my fragile balance. I don't have much money, which equates to not having many worries either. I have never known of a job that I would like to do. I enjoy music and play basic self taught, bass, guitar, mandolin, drums and harmonica. So after spilling my guts, the answer to your question, "What do you do?", I play with myself.

What do you do?

Hey all.
Now please hold onto those rocks for just one minute, your gonna hate me for this'
I work for the UK customs, I hate it, but it was the first job i was offered after i quit hairdressing, iv worked here for almost 2 and a half years, and it was originally gonna be a stepping stone job, bu thte job is so easy and the people are amazing here.
Late in the year im applying to join the fire service, hope that works out, that should pay the bills, and give me a lot of work satisfaction!
My gf works for Princes trust, helping ex offenders get back on the right track, which she always tells me she loves to bits, and id kill for a job that gives you that feeling, and actually gives something back to the community, so im working on that, and will elt you know when it works out!
gret thread btw!
:b

Back