Converting Hudson To Hicks Tips and Help Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uscmhicks

Super Freak
Reaction score
Since Hicks has become so scarce I figured we need a thread from which we can get tips on how to convert a Hudson Hot Toys figure into a Hicks.
Obviously we get the head either from Lonnie or Les ( I chose Les :D).
The reason for the thread is that we need to figure out a way on how to convert the armor and accessories the best way. Now I know a few people have done this already so some help from you guys to kick this thread off would be great. Any comments or something to start this thread off would are welcome with open arms. Hopefully we can create another great thread similar to the building your marines correctly thread.
I think the first thing we should tackle is how to get the skull and louis logo thingie off the best way without wrecking the camo paint. :D.
This is Hudson's armor.
220DSCN7313_3x4.jpg

This is sadly the best shot I can find for now off hicks , any better ones are welcome.
6310_press02-001.jpg

Hudson has the two logos while hicks has the heart and padlock.
I think this deserves its own thread since he they are both such kick ass figures and quite hard to get.
Any help , comments , or more pictures would be great guys.

I cant advise you on how to remove the markings and repaint the camo to match, but my approach if doing this conversion would be to repaint the entire armor. It may not look right if you have a bunch of other HT marines but its one idea.

The HT camolfague pattern is not accurate at all so repainting does have its advantages and you dont have to worry about colour matching and blending patches of armor. The colours used to paint the original armor are all Humbrol enamels, most of which are still available in the UK I think. The colours used were

30 Matte Dark Green
33 Matte Black
63 Matte Sand
98 Matte Chocolate
147 Matte Light Grey

applied in that order

170 Matte Brown Bess (weapons, equipement and helmet camrea only)

You can print the nametag on transparent decal sheets applied over the repainted armor. looks way nicer than painting the name on. This is the file I made for the tag on the back of my Hicks helmet.

hicks_nametag.png

Yeah I seen your hicks before , I didn't realise that was converted , or do you own a real hicks too ?

Last edited:
a few pics of hicks from the movie itself...
7.jpg

16.jpg

46.jpg

80.jpg

84.jpg

I can't seem to find any extremely clear pics of his armor since the movie was very dark. It's hard to see the real patterns and colors.
Does anyone know of any better pics:confused:.

Yeah I seen your hicks before , I didn't realise that was converted , or do you own a real hicks too ?

My figure is just a regular Hicks, it isnt converted. I was just saying that repainting the entire armor is the way I would do it if I had to convert Hudsons gear.

The reason I think a repaint is best is just because of how large some of the decals are on Hudsons armor, remember he has a large one on his back and a smaller one on his right shoulder too. If I was using a set of Apones' armor then obviously I wouldn't need to repaint the whole thing since its only his nametag that would need altering.

As for reference pics, Im not sure what you are trying to see that isnt already clear, apart for the weathering pattern.

Biehn wore one of three different sets of armor in the movie, each one weathered slightly differently so its hard to match to one specific set. For the most part he wore one that had a distinctive silver scratch on the flap of his left shoulder and I did my best to match the weathering pattern of that set, but its impossible to cover all angles of it.

These are good reference shot I found on a fan site (which seems tyo have dissappeared now) that I used for the weathering pattern and all come from the same set of armor.

This one points the marking that distinguishes his main set of armor from the others

Compare that to how clean his armor was in the begining, around the time they board the dropship.

I preffer the beat up look his armor had in the latter part of the film so thats the look I went with.

front.jpg

cheers for the pics m8 , I am a complete noob to painting so this is gonna be a challenge , to repaint all the armor is gonna be a real job for me :lol.
The trouble I'm having with what seems to be all the pics is there are no clear shots of the camo pattern. I might sand the patterns off of hudsons armor and try and match the camo colors as best I can , they paint the patten over the sanded part. And then of course add the heart.
Theres a Hicks going on ebay at the minute for 120 quid , I expect it to sell for about 200. Right now I could get an apone and too hudson figures for that !.
One to convert and one to keep. No way I'm paying that. I would rather make a custom Hicks as it would feel more personal to me :D.
When hudson arrives I will post up some pics of how I'm gonna try and do this.
Hopefully I can help a few people out.

Just take a look at Stendec's or find some prop replica pics around the net.

I'm really looking forward to doing this guy , I hope it turns out as good as I want it too. The hudson figure should be here in a few days , I'm just waiting on that. I will post up progress pics once he is here.

I used some Read Right Tape Head Cleaning Pads on some of the decals on my Hudson figure(The name tag, eyes on the shoulder armor, 'louis' and the the ones on the back). They all came off with some rubbing, though don't rub too hard, since I took alittle paint off(Not much and it isn't very noticeable, but be careful anyways).

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Where do you get that stuff? I've never heard of it! :confused: I had thought to use either Goo-Gone, Goof Remover, or this supposedly trick stuff model railroaders use. Can't remember the name, can check when at home.

Here's a pic of the stuff I used;
CREA7397.JPG

All you have to do is rub the decal with the pad until the decal is gone. Just don't rub too hard or you might take some of the paint with it. ;)

And I wouldn't use Goo Gone, as it tends to burn through the plastic if not used properly, which is way too big a risk on these figures.

nah not gonna try it, happy with my soon to come hudson. ill get another one some time and try your product....that or buy a hicks sometime down then line.:monkey1

rob you couldn't find a link could you to somewhere this is being sold so we can see more information on it. It would be really helpful , I have had a look but can't find nothing at the mo.
:monkey3

i would say the pc screen whips would be to weak to remove any decales from the figures. to me they just seem like damp towel pads.

Well I could do with some pc screen wipes anyway , I will pick some of these up , see what there like .
If anyone finds anything that looks more decent in the uk so I can avoid having to pay shipping for something so small let me know or post up please :chew.

Back