Welcome to CollectorFreaks.com! Register today to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and easy!
Advanced Search
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Jack's Smirking Revenge
    Feedback
    5 (100%)
    Default DST Launches Star Trek 1/4 Scale Mixed Media Line

Seem everyone is joining the mixed media train now

http://www.diamondselecttoys.com/sto...ategoryID%3D76

DST Launches Ultimate Star Trek Quarter Scale Line!

Revealing plans for our new line of Ultimate Quarter Scale action figures today, DST will begin this exciting line with one of the most popular franchises of all time - Star Trek! Beginning with the legendary Captain Kirk and Commander Spock, future figures will be drawn from over 40 years of Star Trek history.

Launching this summer, the new Star Trek Ultimate Quarter Scale line will feature detailed cloth outfits and sculpted accessories from the rich Star Trek universe. Each figure will also include authentic voice effects from the Star Trek films and television series. Measuring over eighteen inches tall and containing twenty-one points of articulation, the Star Trek Ultimate Quarter Scale line’s hyper realistic detail and super-poseability combine to create the ultimate in Star Trek collectibles.

Look for more Toy Fair updates throughout the weekend as we bring you daily coverage both here and on our MySpace page!

Super Freak
    Feedback
    10 (100%)
    Everyone looks like they're copying Sideshow now.
    I don't expect much form DST, I don't like any of the new stuff they've done, the Trek busts look horrible.
    But I like that they'd have actual articulation. It may compromise the sculpt a little so they better be careful. No one will pay a premium price for articulation over aesthetic on these things.

But this I think proves that Sideshow will never get the Trek license again.

Depends on which sculptor/sculpting studio DST uses for the work. Jean St. Jean has done some good work for them.

Blue Flame of the West/Mod MODERATOR
    Feedback
    The 1/4 scale format has some nice possibilities for classy display pieces, but why would you want to cheese it up with twenty-one points of articulation and sound chips? Leave that for the 12" figures...

Jack's Smirking Revenge
    Feedback
    5 (100%)
    DST has been using Gentle Giant for head sculpts of the stargate line, they might use them

Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    DST has been using Gentle Giant for head sculpts of the stargate line, they might use them

A very good hypothesis.

I sure hope not. GG tends to let the B team do the work for DST.

As to cheesing it up - I don't see either feature as cheesing anything up. These are clothed so there's no reason the articulation will show. And the sound chips are no different to me than the light up sabers.

However, SS stopped the articulation in part because people had more trouble getting good looking poses on their own. Sculpting them in a set, unmovable pose meant they'd look consistent at least.

Bummer, wish we'd get some 1/6

circlesendwheretheybegin
    Feedback
    11 (100%)

IMO Star Trek is ok as a toy line in 9"s or smaller OR as busts. I just don't think the dullness and repetitive nature of the costumes (at least for the crew members) makes for good 1/6th and bigger mixed media items.
    "A glass can only spill what it contains."-mewithoutYou

And the Jedi costumes are all that different

I guess if you're not into the show thats understandable, but I love the characters and to have a shelf with Spock, Kirk, Bones and Scotty would be the **** for me. And there you could have at least 3 different colored shirts... maybe even Bones would be different if they went with his sickbay look.

Not to mention getting aliens (like the Gorn ) to flesh out the series. I think they'd be great for 1/6 or a PF treatment. Although I don't think the fanbase is as into them, for some reason action figures don't seem to be a huge draw.