DST Launches Star Trek 1/4 Scale Mixed Media Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack's Smirking Revenge
Reaction score
Seem everyone is joining the mixed media train now :lol

https://www.diamondselecttoys.com/store.asp?p=item.asp?ItemNo=52535&CategoryID=76

DST Launches Ultimate Star Trek Quarter Scale Line!

Revealing plans for our new line of Ultimate Quarter Scale action figures today, DST will begin this exciting line with one of the most popular franchises of all time - Star Trek! Beginning with the legendary Captain Kirk and Commander Spock, future figures will be drawn from over 40 years of Star Trek history.

Launching this summer, the new Star Trek Ultimate Quarter Scale line will feature detailed cloth outfits and sculpted accessories from the rich Star Trek universe. Each figure will also include authentic voice effects from the Star Trek films and television series. Measuring over eighteen inches tall and containing twenty-one points of articulation, the Star Trek Ultimate Quarter Scale line’s hyper realistic detail and super-poseability combine to create the ultimate in Star Trek collectibles.

Look for more Toy Fair updates throughout the weekend as we bring you daily coverage both here and on our MySpace page!

Everyone looks like they're copying Sideshow now.
I don't expect much form DST, I don't like any of the new stuff they've done, the Trek busts look horrible.
But I like that they'd have actual articulation. It may compromise the sculpt a little so they better be careful. No one will pay a premium price for articulation over aesthetic on these things.

But this I think proves that Sideshow will never get the Trek license again. :monkey2

Depends on which sculptor/sculpting studio DST uses for the work. Jean St. Jean has done some good work for them.

The 1/4 scale format has some nice possibilities for classy display pieces, but why would you want to cheese it up with twenty-one points of articulation and sound chips? Leave that for the 12" figures...

I sure hope not. GG tends to let the B team do the work for DST.

As to cheesing it up - I don't see either feature as cheesing anything up. These are clothed so there's no reason the articulation will show. And the sound chips are no different to me than the light up sabers.

However, SS stopped the articulation in part because people had more trouble getting good looking poses on their own. Sculpting them in a set, unmovable pose meant they'd look consistent at least.

I don't get it. Honestly I don't.

IMO Star Trek is ok as a toy line in 9"s or smaller OR as busts. I just don't think the dullness and repetitive nature of the costumes (at least for the crew members) makes for good 1/6th and bigger mixed media items.

And the Jedi costumes are all that different :lol

I guess if you're not into the show thats understandable, but I love the characters and to have a shelf with Spock, Kirk, Bones and Scotty would be the **** for me. And there you could have at least 3 different colored shirts... maybe even Bones would be different if they went with his sickbay look.

Not to mention getting aliens (like the Gorn :rock) to flesh out the series. I think they'd be great for 1/6 or a PF treatment. Although I don't think the fanbase is as into them, for some reason action figures don't seem to be a huge draw.

I'm curious about these being posable too - I have visions of the 1/4 scale Spiderman with 1000 articulation points. I doubt we'll see these at this toyfair, but I'll probably get them if the sculpts aren't too horrible.

And the Jedi costumes are all that different :lol

I guess if you're not into the show thats understandable, but I love the characters and to have a shelf with Spock, Kirk, Bones and Scotty would be the **** for me. And there you could have at least 3 different colored shirts... maybe even Bones would be different if they went with his sickbay look.

Not to mention getting aliens (like the Gorn :rock) to flesh out the series. I think they'd be great for 1/6 or a PF treatment. Although I don't think the fanbase is as into them, for some reason action figures don't seem to be a huge draw.

The Jedi aren't all that different, true, but prequel Jedi make up like 1/10th of the figure potential in SW. Whereas for the most part the difference between 80% of the probable costumes in Trek only differ in color.

I'm not a huge Trek fan, but I am a fan. I just don't see Trek as a very viable toy collectible franchise. Which is probably why its been missing for the most part since the 90s.

Probably right prog, but for me you have a great nostalgia factor. And since I wouldn't want to buy every figure from a series you could end up with a nice variety from original, to next gen to movies. And then of course throw in some aliens and you've got a nice set-up.

I assume these will use the same body as was shown for the SW figures. But still, I'm not real interested in the 1/4 figures, I'm more looking at the 1/6 ones.

DST-14KIRK.jpg

https://cooltoyreview.com/story/front/Diamond_Select_Toys_New_Scale_For_Kirk_113758.asp

DST is really putting out crap. I can't see how they can continue to keep themselves in business when the bar has been set so high. C'mon DST, this isn't 2000.

Back