DCD Robin full review + pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
review_13robin_8.jpg

Well at least Robin'll be able to air out his balls :rotfl

review_13robin_1.jpg

although he's honestly a lot better looking than I would have expected... but even though its not accurate for the costume cover up the goods?!? Boy Wonder indeed :D

Ugh. I hate this line more and more each day. Robin looks like a big piece of hard plastic to me--and that's NOT a crotch joke. :rolleyes:

And Michael, if you bought this at your LCS--why did you buy the one with the giant festering blackhead on his forehead? I would understand if he came in the mail that way...:monkey4

Because it was the only one they had in. Your LCS is unlikely to buy too many of these at the price Diamond is charging them.

Another good review. It's a really nice figure. In a lot of ways the nicest thing DCD has produced in the 13" line. The new body works pretty well, but if you'd like something different this costume and head should be adaptable to a HT or bbi figure without too much fuss. The costume is very well done and I do like the headsculpt. As far as price and value is concerned, it's one of the more subjective criteria. I think all the DCD 13" are overpriced, but I've bought most of them anyway as they are the only game in town. The Robin figure is very well done even if not a super value. I'm pretty happy with the whole Silver Age bat family now and would highly recomend them to fans of that era's Dark Knight".

Ugh. I hate this line more and more each day. Robin looks like a big piece of hard plastic to me--and that's NOT a crotch joke. :rolleyes:

And Michael, if you bought this at your LCS--why did you buy the one with the giant festering blackhead on his forehead? I would understand if he came in the mail that way...:monkey4

Well it IS a big piece of plastic...it is a figure after all. :rolleyes:

Well it IS a big piece of plastic...it is a figure after all. :rolleyes:

With the ridiculous vinyl booties and all that DC Direct-ish exposed flesh-colored plastic--I think this thing is abominable. In fact, I think the whole line has been pretty poor. The pricing, articulation, corner cutting, scale/size issue, boot and glove making incapacity--these things all point to a lack luster series to me. :monkey4

Sorry, I'd love a great 1/6 series with versions of all my favorite super heroes--but we haven't got one yet. :eek:

I agree that Robin is one of the better ones. They seem to be improving with every release. I'd disagree with Michael about the boots though. I prefer them being vinyl rather than molded plastic. It does look like they used the same feet as on the larger figure and that makes the feet look oversized for this figure. As a huge DC fan I'm very happy to have these, most have been excellent.

Just picked Robin up. $54 from Amok Time.

As other people have said, I think a mask with white eyes would have been nice.

The vinyl booties are OK, but I'd prefer sculpted boots. The vinyl is very shapeless on the one I have.

Love the grappling hook. Great accessory.

Mine came with an extra "gripping" right hand instead of a right fist. :(

Also, I don't know if anyone else is having this problem, but almost all the metal rivets on his tunic are coming out from the red material.
This is the issue that is pissing me off the most.
There should be an email address on the box where you can contact DC Direct with any QC problems.

Did you pick him up yesterday? Cause I bought one from Amok Time yesterday too!

I really like him. I usually skip the DCD 13" line but he was better than most. This new body finally corrects the awful bicep swivel problem the mai body has.

I don't even mind the exposed eyes through the mask. Very George Perez. I just hope they don't fall off his face. He's on a high shelf and I would never find it again.

I picked up the Classic Batman too. Couldn't have one without the other. Like this one more than the modern version, too. Wish he had a longer cape and a Neal Adams headsculpt but other than that, I'm happy.

Mine came with an extra "gripping" right hand instead of a right fist. :(

Also, I don't know if anyone else is having this problem, but almost all the metal rivets on his tunic are coming out from the red material.
This is the issue that is pissing me off the most.
There should be an email address on the box where you can contact DC Direct with any QC problems.

Yep, that's my biggest complaint about this series, as well. I've had quality issues with several figures from this line. My original GREEN LANTERN's left glove cuff had a busted seam, FLASH had a broken cowl wing, POWER GIRL had loose stiching, and BATGIRL had a busted boot zipper. I get them all through the mail, so there's no way to inspect before buying.
Thankfully, I buy from a very reputable e-tailor, so I've been able to return each one for replacement. But at this price, there are too many QC issues.

Regarding this line overall, though, I think it's the best cloth-costumed superhero line ever (and I grew up with Megos). Sure, the base body should be tweaked, and the bendy hands are annoying, but they seem to be addressing the hand issue lately, at least with the female and teen figures. Hopefully, GREEN ARROW will come with molded hands so that he can be posed drawing his bow.
I was disappointed with the lack of new announcements at Toy Fair, with just the GREEN LANTERN CORPS re-release. Hopefully, we'll hear about some new releases at Comic-Con, if not sooner. WE NEED A HAWKMAN !!!

My wants:
1) Hawkman (with swappable Golden Age head and in-scale Atom figure!)
2) Wonder Woman
3) Supergirl (classic 70's hotpants version)
4) Golden Age Green Lantern
5) Golden Age Flash
6) Black Canary
7) Captain Marvel Jr
8) Mary Marvel
9) Kid Flash
10) Speedy
11) Aqualad
12) Black Adam
13) Hawkgirl
14) Dr Fate
15) Zatanna

Last edited:
Did you pick him up yesterday? Cause I bought one from Amok Time yesterday too!

I really like him. I usually skip the DCD 13" line but he was better than most. This new body finally corrects the awful bicep swivel problem the mai body has.

I don't even mind the exposed eyes through the mask. Very George Perez. I just hope they don't fall off his face. He's on a high shelf and I would never find it again.

I picked up the Classic Batman too. Couldn't have one without the other. Like this one more than the modern version, too. Wish he had a longer cape and a Neal Adams headsculpt but other than that, I'm happy.

Yeah, I got him yesterday. Around 3:30.
Small world. :)

Overall I do like him despite the tunic eyelet problem and the lack of a right fist. I sent Amok Time an email to see if I can exchange the one I have for one with the correct hands.

Regarding his mask, I think that as long as it's wedged under his hair where it hangs down on his forehead, then it should stay.
Mine has enough room between the right eyebrow the hair for the mask to fit perfectly snug.
I hope that if I get a replacement figure, it'll be the same.

-Ray

Yeah, I got him yesterday. Around 3:30.
Small world. :)

Overall I do like him despite the tunic eyelet problem and the lack of a right fist. I sent Amok Time an email to see if I can exchange the one I have for one with the correct hands.

Regarding his mask, I think that as long as it's wedged under his hair where it hangs down on his forehead, then it should stay.
Mine has enough room between the right eyebrow the hair for the mask to fit perfectly snug.

I hope that if I get a replacement figure, it'll be the same.

-Ray

That is how I got the mask to get a snug fit but I had to lift the hair up slightly to get the mask under it.

Back