16th Annual Art of Motion Picture Costume Design

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Ellis

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Didn't see a thread on this, so for those in the Los Angeles Area, the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising is doing their annual movie costume exhibit from now until April 12th. Its free and definitely worth seeing, I just stopped down there yesterday to check it out. They have costumes from Sweeney Todd (Oscar Nominee for Best Costume Design), 300, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, 3:10 to Yuma, Beowulf, The Golden Compass and many more (including the other Costume Design Oscar Nominees). A lot of cool stuff. Here's a link to the site for more info and directions:

https://www.fidm.com/resources/museum+galleries/now-showing.html

Just thought I'd let people know in case they wanted to check it out.

I was planning on going out - the Star Wars display was really great.

I'm betting I've seen a lot of the stuff since it's the same films that they've had displays of at the Arclights in LA, but I'm really interested in the Harry Potter costumes. There are no "Art of..." books on the Potter films, so reference material is hard to come by.

The Harry Potter costumes were some of my favorites...they had Voldemort, Lucius Malfoy's Death Eater costume, another Death Eater, Sirius' brown pinstripe suit, Tonks' outfit and one of Umbridge's outfits. Was definitely surprised at how green Voldemort's outfit is.

Voldemort green? I was going by the Voldie Tonner outfit which is just black. Kind of surprising - Tonner's usually good about accurate costuming.

Yeah...its definitely not black at all. Unless he wore some other robe in OotP that I don't remember that was green. I'll probably be heading down there a few more times before its over. I want to take some notes on Sirius' outfit so I can do my own 1/6 custom of that suit.

great having this conversation with you Dave...its like we have our own private chat room. :lol

Costuming has always fascinated me, but I also plan some HP custom 1/6, so the Potter costumes interest me more than the others.

And if you develop a pattern for the Sirius costume...

If you're interested in one and when I get around to it, I can definitely look for enough material to make two.

I finally made it out to this show and it was very impressive. I hadn't realized that Sweeney Todd and 300 were also there. One thing I really noticed in seeing these movie costumes is all the different textures used in a costume. Looking at Tonks from HPOotP - she has multiple layers and each one has a different texture. Same with Sweeney Todd's costume - the jacket is almost like a real shark skin - shiny and grey.

That's why I'll always prefer PFs over statues - with a statue you just can't get the sense of reality that a real costume conveys.

But anyone in the LA area - I definitely recommend this show.

Sounds interesting. I can't say that I'm normally a fan of Costume Design, but if I'm around the area, I'll venture in for a looksie.

If you're even remotely interested in 1/6 customizing it's well worth the trip. The museum doesn't cost anything, but you can't take photos, which was frustrating.

Yeah, it's a dark green, not even close to black. I'm going to have to watch the scene again because it's very different. And the Tonner doll that I thought was a great representation of the costume has a completely different cut to it than the original costume.

Dave...is the tonner figure a representation of his OotP costume? or his GoF costume? Maybe thats why they're different? I don't collect the tonner stuff so I don't know...

The Tonner is supposed to be OotP, it has an outer black robe then an inner black robe (which is similar too the green one at FIDM) and also some Turkish looking pants. In GoF he only had a grey robe.

Back