Sideshow + Marvel = BOO!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjread

Super Freak
Reaction score
When I saw the first X-men VS Sentinel Diorama...I was blown away. I spent MANY months hunting it, but wouldn't pull the trigger on it at $550 or $700 (for the Exclusive...I know, I was STOOPID). When #2 was announced I knew I had to had it and spent $1050 delivered. Then I saw the other Marvel pieces and they were AWESOME & GORGEOUS. I wasn't into the whole PF so I didn't get any, but thew were nice to look at. I only collect X-men so it limited what I wanted to get as well as funds.

Now it just seems like SS is trying to ride the wave of their previous success. The most recent announcements have been disappointing. The LSB's are mostly well sculpted but they keep shoving the same characters down our throat. Now throw in the paint issues that are caused by poor decisions in packing materials and it seems you have a line that is on the decline.

I just think the SS can and did make some the best statues that are out there of Marvel characters. I just doesn't appear that they are going to.

That's just my opinion.

Let see...I have both exclusive GR statues...awesome. I have the grey HULK PF...awesome. I have DOOM with his pimp cup...awesome. I have a minty SIM...awesome. I am waithing for the THING and LSB HULK (which will be awesome)...seems to me SS is doing just fine.:confused:

Yeah, I don't get that amount of frustration either.

Sure, the LSBs are boring (for some of us) and there have been big bumps in the road (like the Stealth Iron Man issue) but Sideshow's Marvel license has provided some of the best items in the past couple of years: From the Captain America & Hulk PFs to the AH! Comiquettes to the upcoming Thing & Red Skull PFs... there is a lot more good than bad in the Sideshow + Marvel equation. At least, imho.

God makes beautiful women.
but I dont find ALL of them attractive.

.. I could stand there and complain about the ugly ones.
But I choose to move on and only concentrate on the hot ones....

I get his frustration. I've been saying it for a while that SS needs to venture to different characters. It seems we've had just about everything Wolverine, Hulk, and Spiderman that could possibly be produced. The AH line is a great little side thing that get's us some good females (though not exactly how we would all want them).

We are getting a PF every 8-10 months, which is fairly slow for most. The VS line is still pretty good. I want to see that line keep up the diversity it has shown. But the LSB's seem to be coming one after another and they are almost all of characters that have already been done in PF or maquette form. We are all still dying for a Silver Surfer maquette, Thor PF, and some other X-Men maquettes that just seem to be coming.

The Marvel line on a decline???

No way!

You might not always like the selection of what they are releasing (I personally wish they would mix up the characters a little myself) but that doesn't mean that the overall Marvel line is declining. If anything it allows me a breather on the good old credit card. Besides, the Red Skull PF is awesome and the exclusive sold out very quickly.

God makes beautiful women.
but I dont find ALL of them attractive.

.. I could stand there and complain about the ugly ones.
But I choose to move on and only concentrate on the hot ones....

And, like collectibles, the hot ones cost us a lot more $$$. :cool:

If you don't like LSB then you shouldn't be upset about Stealth Ironman LSB!! (even if it is riding the wave of the statue):D

Here is mine:

Blade VS = BOO
SIM LSB = BOO
Thor VS Loki = BOO
Thing PF = NICE
SIM = BOO (most are not arriving good including mine)
Thor LSB = BOO
Hulk LSB = BOO
Wolverine LSB = BOO
X-men VS #3 = OK (will be better if Kitty isn't in gold...would've been awesome with a light up feature)
Red Skull PF = NICE

Most of the good ones names are a year old or more....I wasn't talking about those. Because,

Cap PF = NICE
Doom PF = NICE
X-men VS #1 = AWESOME
Wolvie VS = AWESOME
Spidey VS = AWESOME
X-men VS #2 = NICE

The Marvel line WAS the best....and I REALLY want to spend some of my $$$ on them...but they just aren't producing anything that is making me want so drop $$$ on.

I know dropping this is this forum isn't going to get a good response. People often get obsessed with a line or producer when they've hit a few beautiful pieces out of the park. Then they become blinded to what is still coming and think SS + MARVEL = AWESOME no matter what it is. That is what SS is banking on and that is what a lot of people are doing.

Here is mine:

Blade VS = BOO
SIM LSB = BOO
Thor VS Loki = BOO
Thing PF = NICE
SIM = BOO (most are not arriving good including mine)
Thor LSB = BOO
Hulk LSB = BOO
Wolverine LSB = BOO
X-men VS #3 = OK (will be better if Kitty isn't in gold...would've been awesome with a light up feature)
Red Skull PF = NICE

Most of the good ones names are a year old or more....I wasn't talking about those. Because,

Cap PF = NICE
Doom PF = NICE
X-men VS #1 = AWESOME
Wolvie VS = AWESOME
Spidey VS = AWESOME
X-men VS #2 = NICE

The Marvel line WAS the best....and I REALLY want to spend some of my $$$ on them...but they just aren't producing anything that is making me want so drop $$$ on.

I know dropping this is this forum isn't going to get a good response. People often get obsessed with a line or producer when they've hit a few beautiful pieces out of the park. Then they become blinded to what is still coming and think SS + MARVEL = AWESOME no matter what it is. That is what SS is banking on and that is what a lot of people are doing.

Well you did say in your first post you only collect X-Men and don't like the PF's so that narrows your options on what you would buy anyway...:rolleyes:

Everything is pretty much selling out so I can't see many other Marvel fans agreeing with you.

Blade Vs =boo?

I can't see now SSC can be criticized for not catering to your personal tastes - they're making stuff that they think will sell, which means appealling to the widest demographic of Marvel collector.

Yet they still do off the wall stuff like the Blade piece. Even if you don't care for the character, you can't deny that it's an impressive item.

Blade Vs =boo?

I can't see now SSC can be criticized for not catering to your personal tastes - they're making stuff that they think will sell, which means appealling to the widest demographic of Marvel collector.

Yet they still do off the wall stuff like the Blade piece. Even if you don't care for the character, you can't deny that it's an impressive item.

I agree on the Blade VS piece.

I don't care for the characters that much but it is a very nicely done piece that has me debating on purchasing one myself.

Well, you must be a Star Wars fan , no doubt about it....:rolleyes:

The Marvel licence is the best thing that comes out of Sideshow...

I don't understand any complaints about "shoving the same characters down our throats." If they were producing more than one Captain America premium format, or more than one Iron Man legendary scale bust, then I could see it being a cause for concern. But if they want to make Spider-man in LSB, PF, Life-sized bust, and Vs. Diorama, I don't see the problem. I don't collect LSBs, Life-sized busts, or Vs. Dioramas. If Sideshow only offered The Red Skull in the previously-release Vs. form, I'd be highly disappointed.

The cool thing is, by offering up these characters in multiple formats, Sideshow has set out to appease the bust collectors, the statue collectors, AND the diorama collectors. And they've done so admirably. So be patient. Eventually, they'll have covered all of the characters you're not interested in in all of their different formats. When that happens, it'll be time to move onto other characters (which, most likely, will also be covered in whatever format(s) you happen to collect).

I, for one, am grateful that Sideshow hasn't seen fit to inundate us with every character conceivable in (for example) premium format form. I'm not even remotely loaded. So I welcome a nice break between my purchases. And if, in the meantime, some other collectors are made happy by a Captain America Legendary Scale Bust, so much the better. :clap

Back