SWEENEY TODD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
The reviews have been almost universally positive, and the original cast recording was the most played tape and record that I had all through high school so I had high expectations for this film.

And I have to say that I don't think they could have done it better. It's a little ironic that the 3 children who have extremely important supporting roles are better singers than the 2 award winning adults headlining the film, but the lack of singing range from Depp and Bonham-Carter didn't really affect how I felt about the film.

It was a bit surprising how bloody it was, on stage you can't get that spurting all over blood that you can in the cinema, and the red is much more shocking over the grey pallette that suffuses the film.

It's not just a great musical, but a great horror film as well.

Tomorrow, I shall attend the tale of Sweeney Todd and I can't wait! Would have caught it before but the man-flu that's been going around sidelined me this week. I am looking forward to watching this in a theatre full of people who have no idea what kind of musical they are in store for.

Really looking forward to this movie, just sucks that it won't open here in denmark untill february:emperor Wonder who i can trick to see it? I'm the only one of my friends who like musicals:D

Is it a real slasher musical? Blood spraying all over the place, guts pulled out and limbs chop'd off kind of movie? Like a singing Kill Bill?

It’s nice to hear that I have a good Burton film coming up. Always being a fan of his films and I love his twisted dark style. Sadly the film is not released here in Norway until 22nd. February. :banghead
I bought the book and the score, and I love the sound of it.:D

512SWJ%2B1-sL._SS500_.jpg
51Gcri5s2ML._SS500_.jpg

:)

I saw it on Friday night and loved it!! Yes, I had my reservations about the film (mainly in the singing department) a few months ago but some singing clips over the past few month put my mind at ease.

I thought it was a very, very good adaptation of the stage musical (a musical I've adored for over 10 years now). Though some songs were changed drastically (God, that's good! being one) and some were omitted totally I understand why those decisions were made for a feature length film.

I came away loving almost every minute of the film. Carter's Mrs. Lovett took a while to get on my good side (I found some of her singing to be a bit boring at times but there were enough moments/scenes where I just ended up loving her in the role). Depp was fantastic as Todd/Barker and all the other players were well cast.

The stage musical is coming to the Ahmanson theater (a great theater venue) in L.A. in March of 2008. Individual tickets are going on sale in early Feb. If you're in or around the area I really recommend people seeing the stage version if you liked the film.

I loved Sweeney. Amazing film, my favorite of '07. I'm going to see it again tomorrow. Good luck to Johnny, Helena and Tim at the golden globes, I really hope at least one of them will win.

I saw it on Friday night and loved it!! Yes, I had my reservations about the film (mainly in the singing department) a few months ago but some singing clips over the past few month put my mind at ease.

I thought it was a very, very good adaptation of the stage musical (a musical I've adored for over 10 years now). Though some songs were changed drastically (God, that's good! being one) and some were omitted totally I understand why those decisions were made for a feature length film.

I came away loving almost every minute of the film. Carter's Mrs. Lovett took a while to get on my good side (I found some of her singing to be a bit boring at times but there were enough moments/scenes where I just ended up loving her in the role). Depp was fantastic as Todd/Barker and all the other players were well cast.

The stage musical is coming to the Ahmanson theater (a great theater venue) in L.A. in March of 2008. Individual tickets are going on sale in early Feb. If you're in or around the area I really recommend people seeing the stage version if you liked the film.

Ive heard nothing but great things about the musical. The Ahmanson theater in March, I might have to look into that.

Saw it! Really liked it! My wife absolutley hated it... I have never seen her so disgusted in my life. Depp and Burton are an awesome team. Can't wait to see what else they will do over the years...

Sweeny made about 10 million this weekend.

This must be an awesome musical if all your wives are hating it!!:lol
I can't wait to catch it in the theater during these few days off.

Just saw it with my brother. Really good movie, great acting, great singing. The music worked really well within the story and composition, it was all perfect. I never saw the play so I can't say how well Burton was at adapting it, but I'm glad because I didn't know what was going to happen and it really surprised me. The blood seemed necessary for the story so I don't really think that's a problem. But just remember, it has a lot of blood, in fact there are parts where you see several people killed in quick succession.

It kind of made me wonder though how many people went into the movie and got confused when the characters were all singing.

It kind of made me wonder though how many people went into the movie and got confused when the characters were all singing.

Quite a few I'd imagine. Though it's obvious from the trailers that singing is involved in the film I found that many non-musical people were in attendance at the viewing I went to. I heard quite a few groans whenever another song would pop up. There were also those that had no idea how much blood would be in the film. Quite a lot of gasps and ewwwws every time blood was spilled. One girl behind me at the end of the film started to complain about the amount of blood in the film. I had no problem with the blood and slight gore (I expected it). It's part of the story.

Ive heard nothing but great things about the musical. The Ahmanson theater in March, I might have to look into that.

Yup, tickets go on sale in Feb. I've seen quite a few shows at that theater (the most recent being Avenue Q) and have always enjoyed seeing shows there. Of course my favorite theater is the Pantages (such a gorgeous theater).

The music was the best part about it. By the Sea and Little Priest were my favorite parts. Unfortunately yes, a lot of people didn't know what genre this movie was. One of my co workers thought it was a comedy. I'm not sure how she made that connection from the trailer. And they got the amount of blood just right. It wouldn't have had as big of an impact had they toned it down. (It was essential for the ending)

I'm a huge Sweeney, Tim, and Johnny fan, soI'm all over this movie. As an actor, I'm also excited that Johnny is striking a blow for young, handsome, thin Sweeney Todds. Sweeney is usually cast a bit stockier than Depp.

This will be my Christmas celebration. It's the movie I've been looking forward to the most all year!
Now, if only we could get some classy 12" figures from this...

I'm a huge Sweeney, Tim, and Johnny fan, soI'm all over this movie. As an actor, I'm also excited that Johnny is striking a blow for young, handsome, thin Sweeney Todds. Sweeney is usually cast a bit stockier than Depp.

This will be my Christmas celebration. It's the movie I've been looking forward to the most all year!
Now, if only we could get some classy 12" figures from this...

Maybe it'll be the second new license tomorrow.

Sweeney and Lovett are always portrayed as late middle age. Depp and Bonham-Carter are definitely a departure for casting the characters. But it does make the sexuality and infatuation Lovett has for Sweeney more immediate and believable.

I just got back. I loved this movie. It was just fantastic! I have to admit I never knew the play. I still loved every minute of this movie. What a shocker at the end. I did not see that twist coming. Very cool movie.

On a side note. It was funny to watch all of these old women come in and watch it. They were horrified. :lol The one lady I could hear saying that she felt like throwing up. That really was the icing on the cake. :rotfl

Back