Butler as Conan?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah, i just read that. i'd have to really see him beefed up to consider it, and he's after to drastically alter his accent for the role.

what is more interesting is the possibility of John McTiernan (director of Predator, Hunt for Red October, Die Hard) to take the helm.

I think it's perfect! He would just have to get back in 300 style shape and read a lot of Conan books to get into the role. The accent is fine, works a bit actually. My image of Conan isn't so tied to Arnold, but rather to the newer Cary Nord/Busiek comics.

And Mctiernan is great news... I hope this really happens. :rock

gerardconan.jpg

I know I am not maulfan but I couldn't help it.

Two very horrible ideas for the Conan franchise. Believe it or not, if the little turd buffed up some, Karl Urban would be nearly perfect for the comic/Frazetta Conan.

McTiernan is a ******, also...had to throw that in there.

Before seing the first Conan movie in the 80's I read a few novels first, and the way he is described is so far from Arnold that I thought I was watching the wrong movie. With Butler, I think it would just distort my impression even more. Conan is a thick bodied bronze skinned giant. Don't get me wrong, he was great in 300, but a Spartan warrior is not Conan.

I loved 300 but Butler isn't a believable Conan. He isn't big enough and he doesn't have the presence that the Barbarian needs.

I think they should go for an actor who fits the comic version more and find an unknown....

I'm not too keen on Butler as Conan and it sounds too much like a fanboy rumor to be true. But McTiernan directing could be great - Rollerball was crap, but he's done some truly legendary action movies.

Butler kicked as in 300, but he is not right for Conan. If anything I'd like to see the Rock take up the mantle of Conan since he was originally rumored to be in 'Crown of Iron'.

I just wonder if another man will ever be able to come even close to being the literary Conan. It's just a hard role to fill. You can try and find someone unknown, but what unknown would be that HUGE?? And Charismatic? AND know how to act? It's probably one of the hardest parts to cast in any film that has ever been made. :lol

I can't imagine that you would find a true to Howards' vision of Conan anywhere on the planet, unless of course you found a tall guy who looked close enough and spent 5 years bulking him up and doing non stop combat training. :D

:chew:chew:chew:chew

Well, the Rock would most certainly work for me! :rock

Especially now though, he's matured a good bit as an actor and I think he could pull it off. Conan needs to be stubborn and hard nailed as well as cunning and incredibly daring at the same time. The Rock could pull that off, I wish it had gone through as originally planned.

I can definitely see him in the role, now that you mention it... It makes sense. Just look at the pics below and tell me that he would not look right....

conan.jpg

100000.jpg

ConanGIBHC.jpg

conan1_2.jpg

Yep, Rock would be perfect - I'm just afraid he'd insist on having a 6 year old precocious kid as his co-star. He might think he's "been there, done that" with the Scorpion King.

Loved him in 300, but he is not Conan.

The Rock ruined his chance with the Conan ripoff Scorpion King.

This is Conan.

conan4.jpg

I cant see Butler as Conan. And the Rock would be alright, but he is tiny now compared to his WWE days.

Like Josh said, this has to be an insanely hard casting to do. I cant imagine them really ever replacing Arnold. He was perfect for the role, and I just dont see a good Conan replacement, in Butler or the Rock.

I have to agree the Rock, as long as it doesn't end up being kid-oriented, could be a good choice. Not so much on Butler.

But really I'm sad to see so many licenses turned into crap films... my guess is a new Conan would suffer the same fate. I'm also a bit biased as Conan the Barbarian is one of my all time favorites :rock

With WWE doing movies now, how about Dave Batista as Conan. Now I know his mike skills aren't that great but it's Conan not Julius Caesar.:D

batista2.jpg

Back