Thinking about getting a PS3

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kain4521

You know that one too/Mod
Reaction score
I might get a PS3 for Christmas so I would like to know some of the pro's and con's. How is the Blu Ray player? If I get one it will be the 40gb system.

I might get a PS3 for Christmas so I would like to know some of the pro's and con's. How is the Blu Ray player? If I get one it will be the 40gb system.

I got one just for the BR and it's awesome. Never had any issues with mine though it can get warm.

Don't have one, I got an Xbox 360. I guess seeing is how you get a game system/comp with blu ray and possibly some free blu ray dvds. as opposed to just a blu ray player w/ free dvds for the same price....... I'd say go for it! :rock

I don't actually have one but in case you didn't hear the newer ones are no longer backwards compatible. If that is something you care about then I would suggest trying to get one of the older systems. Also not to sound anti PS3 or anything but there really isn't but a small handful of good games for the system.

I got one but only because it was a blu ray player and the free blue ray offer is what sold me. Plus I sold my PS2 a while back so the backward compatability was key for the kids as they still had some games they wanted to play.

Worth noting (if you care about Backwards-Compatibility with PS2 games): the new $399 40GB version is not backwards-compatible. That, the smaller HDD and lack of flash drive ports is the reason behind the $100 price drop.

Thanks for the comments guys. Backwards compatibility is no big deal to me although I have been wanting to go back and play Final Fantasy but oh well.

It's not important to me, either (and I think the new $399 40GB model is a great deal) but just wanted to throw that out there, just in case.

Kain, if you want one go ahead and get it. I like my PS3, the blu-ray is awesome and is better than most stand alones. It's very quiet, but as stated above it can get hot (although mine is out in the open so no worries here). I'd say the price is worth it these days.

They are slow in getting games that would be a buy for the system (and since you have a 360 and a wii like myself, it's the same reason, i'd rather buy a game for the 360 if it's on both systems) but with games like Drakes, Ratchet and Clank, and soon MGS4 and Final Fantasy stuff, it's slowly playing catch up with the other systems.

Invest, and have all the systems.

Get an Xbox 360. That is all.

Edit: Just noticed you had a wii and 360. I have all 3. 360 is 100x better. Just my opinion. All I use it for is Blu Ray movies.

I thought it was backwards compatible through software emulation, just that it doesn't have the hardware any more? Not that I care, since I don't have any PS2 games.

Ok pros and cons

Pros
Has a blu ray player
Firmware is updated a lot
Quiet and solid machine
No fee for online play

Cons
Dashboard not as nice as xbox (some people think different)
Games at the moment are behind 360s. A lot of games have framerate issues and dont play at a high fps like 360 games
Friends list is not as good as 360.
Playstation network sucks imo
Not as easy to play with friends.
Doesn't have achievements yet. I like achievements alot. Home is supposed to change this.

Like i said above. I hardly use my ps3. Really it's just a blu ray player for me. This might be different when the good exclusives come out but the exclusives so far have been just ok. Heavenly Sword is just ok, lair horrible, but ratchet and clank rules.

I think the PS3 is worth it just for the Blu Ray. And that's coming from a card carrying Sony-hater. That said, I don't have one.

Looks like I will get one from wally world and use the online coupon for the 5 free blu ray's. My Mother just said she might go in on it for Christmas.

No good games out to justify me buying PS3 right now. When Metal Gear Solid 4 and Resident Evil 5 come out, then it would be worth it. Right now it isn't.

Back