Which of these would you collectors prefer?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

LastofNine

Recently having returned from travel I am once again in Wellington, and imagine my surprise upon receiving my King of the Dead. This magnificently-detailed statue is already attached to the base.

I wondered how many of you collectors would prefer the statues as they are, with pegs on the bases to attach your statues, or do you think it might be easier ( and prevents, alas, breakage if you are careless enough to rush too quickly placing statues on the pegs) if some or many of the statues came attached to the base already?

In other words...easier on the base attached, or easier with pegs and seperate bases?

I would be most interested to hear your points of view.

Seems to me like there were several issues of KoD broken off the base, so I have to vote for separate.

IMO definately prefer seperate !.

It seems there have been a lot of probs with KOTD because he was attatched.
Although there are one or two successfully made attatched to the base (FellBeast for example) but I think that KOTD was too fragile anyway to begin attatching it to the base.

Imagine the Witchking in Trueform (a similar form-flowing gown,fragile etc) attatched to the base?, that would be asking for trouble.:google

shell
x
:toast :gimli

SEPERATED WITH BIGGER PEGS

TAKE PIPPEN & EOWYN. THEIR PEGS ARE AWLFUL SMALL. BOTH STATUES ROTATE ON THE PEG A LITTLE MORE THAN MY BIGGER STATUES.

Re: Well

Seperated as long as they have pegs! Hello Orc Overseer!

But I do wish Sam and Bill had been already attached. Ya know, so I didn't break off his leg..

hmm

I'm of the opinion that the reason they went with the KOTD attached was because his robes had a lot of pieces which could break off (ditto with the Wiki). By attaching the KOTD to the base, the base actually acted as a stabilizer so that the robes would not be subject to any breakages. Unfortunately the effect is that the KOTD could break off from the base! So, I'm sure SS/W entertained both options and decided that attaching him to the base was the lesser of two evils.

Re: hmm

Hi Everyone,

I would agree with Seperated. I never had a problem of a statue breaking when trying to put it on the peg. Once in a while, it doesn't fit right so you have to work it a little, but we have received a couple of KOD which were broken off the base and 1 or 2 which I shipped arrived the same way. I do not think they ship well broken off the base.

I wish they made a peg for the Orc Overseer statue. That piece worries me in regards to tipping over.

Thanks,
Mike
:ted

So does the Orc Overseer not have a peg at all? It just sits on the base where ever you want to put it? I have not seen one in person, so I do not know. This is the first I have heard of any not being attached or not having a peg at all.

I'm of the opinion that the reason they went with the KOTD attached was because his robes had a lot of pieces which could break off (ditto with the Wiki). By attaching the KOTD to the base, the base actually acted as a stabilizer so that the robes would not be subject to any breakages.

If that were the reason, I cannot see how they did not anticipate the pitfall. If the stryofoam is the right shape, the KOTD would have been fine and with no need to be attached to the base.

Either way, attached or unattached, there is always the risk of damage, especially when you see some of the neanderthals that work in the delivery depots.

Hi Everyone,

Balrogslain, the Orc Overseer is the only statue ever made by Sideshow with No Peg/Not Attached. You can stand it anywhere on the base. I have mine centered on the base.
It was a tough piece to sell when we got them. It's a very high break percentage piece because the 2 front flaps of the Overseer's Coat are very delicate and we received many of them with broken flaps and many of them that we shipped, arrived to our customers with broken flaps. It was a nightmare. If you manage to get a good one, I think it's a pretty nice piece. It's the least desired of the Orc Statues, but I like it (as long as it doesn't tip over, LOL).

Thanks,
Mike

I would have to agree with separate, too. The reported problems with KOTD is actually one of the reasons I have held off picking one up yet.

Mike, I thought some of the first run of Gandalf the Grey statues were without a peg as well. Mine has the peg, but I remember hearing from some who did not. The Overseer statue has always worried me as well, and I actually thought mine was a defect when I first got it. :lol

Hi Everyone,

Howard, I never heard of the Gandalf the Grey, but I am only a SS dealer for 2 1/2 years now so it would be before my time. LOL.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike, I thought some of the first run of Gandalf the Grey statues were without a peg as well

That must be true, I always wondered why my two Gandalfs were different - not only in regards to peg / no peg but they are also painted quite differently:

Hi Everyone,

23goliath, thanks for the pics. You and Howard just taught me something. Thank You. As for the 2 Gandalfs, I actually prefer the one with the Peg, just looking at the paint jobs. I would never worry about the Gandalf without a peg because the statue has weight to it. The Orc Overseer is a much lighter pieces and then you have to deal with the coat flaps.

Are there any other pieces maybe from Sideshow's 1st run which also do not have the peg? Now I'm curious.

Thanks,
Mike

Back