What should I do ??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairlesswookiee

PALPATINE CRUSADER!!!!
Reaction score
I have a serious problem. Yesterday I placed my MacBook on the kitchen table like I always do when I get home from work. When my GF was having some cereal she managed to spill the milk all over the keyboard. After taking it to the apple store the tech guy told its definitely not covered under warranty and is considered user negligence. After inspecting it he said the mainboard is fried and cost over $800 to repair. Here is the question --- do ispsnd the money to fix it or should I sell some of my things to put towards abrand new computer??? A couple friends say for a little more I should just buy a brand new MacBook instead of just fixing the one I have that is already almost a year and half old.
--PS I'm posting from my iPhone

That's BS, the most expensive motherboard I can think of is $400 and the guy is telling you it's $800 to replace?

Does the computer not work at all? I know that keyboards are usually pretty closed off from electronics. I spilled some Dr. Pepper on my keyboard a couple days ago and I had taken it apart to make sure it didn't do any damage and found that it would have been really hard to get stuff into the electronics.

But yeah, I would say at this point, if it wasn't a recent purchase then it might be better to just buy a new one, since Leopard is coming out you'd save $150 upgrading and possibly have a better computer if they've changed hardware since you bought it.

besides, I don't know how the rest of the computer could work if the motherboard was fried, I once fried part of a power supply and it was connected to a floppy drive which got fried too.

Also, isn't there some warranties that offer protection for accidents like that? I'm pretty sure Dell has that and I would wonder why Apple wouldn't.

I'd definitely check the warranty first, to see if it is covered.

JS

no the computer won't even power on anymore. Keep an eye out in the classifieds for my listings. Master replicas, gentle giant, sideshow.... Yes I'm namedropping.

Definately get a new one, the same thing happened to me with my old laptop and it just worked out cheaper to buy a new one rather than fix.
Hope you get it sorted
x :D

I'd tell my G/F to come back over when she has a new one for me.

I'd definitely check the warranty first, to see if it is covered.

JS

Warranties only cover manufacturer defects not user caused issues like this. What would stop someone from "accidentally" spilling something into their computers right before the warranty expires to get a new computer or get components replaced with newer or updated components?

Companies would lose money left and right in that case.

P.S. I would bite the bullet and get a new computer.

Wow, your GIRLFRIEND needs to buy you a new one - NOT you!

Either way a new one is the way to go. How clumsy of her to spill crap on your stuff. Dump her unless she is willing to have you spill something on her. :monkey5

For just a bit more $$ i'd get a new one....and i'd hide it when the GF is around :lol

Gotta love apple and their prices.... :monkey4

If you decide to get a new computer I would hold off as long as possible. remember Xmas is right around the corner and there are usually decent sales. I hope you smacked the fruit loops outta her mouth :lol

Warranties only cover manufacturer defects not user caused issues like this. What would stop someone from "accidentally" spilling something into their computers right before the warranty expires to get a new computer or get components replaced with newer or updated components?

Companies would lose money left and right in that case.

P.S. I would bite the bullet and get a new computer.

Many companies offer protection against that stuff if you pay a bit more, Best Buy offers it on lots of their stuff.

And there's no point waiting very long, they don't really reduce prices on Macs unless something new comes out.

Or you could save a bundle and get a Windows-based PC ;)

Hairlesswookiee to do list:

1:Get new MacBook

2:Get new girlfriend

3:Slash old girlfriends tires

Neglignce for her and negligence is your defense when the cops show up for the body.....man, your macbook. she better give it up whenever and wherever you want from now one. Might as have her buy you a new one too, or getting the parts and putting it together yourself.

4. buy an xbox360, halo 3 & substitute life for gaming fun :lol

YES !!!! :rock:rock Karma, I'll send you a PM later tonight or tomorrow, don't have time to clean box right now

get her to buy you a new one and then spend $800 out drinking and taking your friends to strip clubs.

This story is great. My wife did almost this exact same thing to my Sony Vaio. Was a glass of milk instead of the cereal but same difference. One you thing you could try to do is buy a parts machine. What I found in trying to find parts for my Sony the majority of the ones on ebay have the same problem someone split a liquid on them. Your best bet like everyone else said is get a new one. Sell your old one off for parts hopefully your HD is still good so you can pull your data. I just bought a case for mine of ebay for less than 10 bucks and now use it as portable HD. Now the good part leverage the mistake into you getting a xbox and a new projector with all the guilt she won't say a word.

That sucks, I had my laptop die too over the weekend. The screen comes on sometimes but sometimes it doesn't. I had the 3 year accident protection warrenty but its been ablut 3 1/2 years. I always get the accident protection on the laptops since its easy to drop it, spill something oin, it, etc... plus when I spend more time away from home then at home so it constantly getting taken out to go the airports, getting tossed in overheads.

And like godfather says you can at least pull the HD out get a 2.5" USB HD case and make it a USB drive for cheap allowing you to get the stuff off it and also you get a nice big portable drive too. Then put the rest on ebay somone will but it, there wis always people buying broken ones one w/ bad mother board and one w/ bad screen to make a good one.

Back