J.J. Abrams' Star Trek (POTENTIAL SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomandshell

Blue Flame of the West/Mod
Reaction score
I looked around and it doesn't seem that there is an "official" thread to discuss this project, so here goes. Is anybody else looking forward to it?

The latest news is that Abrams has cast Simon Pegg, star of Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead, as a young Scotty. (They previously worked together on M:I:III.) Also, one of the stars of "Harold and Kumar" has been cast as Sulu.

This follows Eric Bana's casting as the villain, which I am excited about. And, of course, Zachary Quinto of Heroes is Spock (along with Leonard Nimoy).

Are there any Trek fans left out there who are following the progress of this movie?

Re: J.J. Abrams' Star Trek

that's pretty much all the information that there is out there so far.

I'm really really jazzed about this. Simon Peg as Scotty and "Harold" as Sulu will be interesting. And Eric Bana will make an excellent villain.

it's been a while since i've seen a really good Star Trek movie.

Yeah, that is some pretty sweet casting so far. I'm really excited to see where it goes next. I just want to see another good Trek movie, whatever the costs. :rock

I'm definitely following the news, and looking forward to the movie.

i'm very interested what they do with the Enterprise design.

will they stay old school, or update it?

I'm very interested to see how this turns out. I can't quite figure out the timeline though - originally, this was going to be young Kirk and Spock back in the days of the academy. But with the addition of the likes of Sulu, Scotty and Uhura, it's clearly after that when Kirk is already a captain...but considering how long Vulcans live, suddenly Quinto seems a tad too young.

Of course, Abrams is talented, and can pull it off. The casting of Kirk is going to be the key though, and they know it.

December 2008 cannot come soon enough. I'm very excited about the project, even though I know very little about it outside of the casting news. I guess I don't really care who gets cast in what roles, I care more about the story.

I'm a little disappointed that Next Gen didn't get a proper send-off, but if this project injects life into the franchise, I can let Next Gen go.

Whatever they do, people will complain

How true.....I think that if done right and people are willing to look at this with fresh eyes , this might work. I too have been waiting a long time for a real good Star Trek movie, this might re-ignite the franchise. So far the cast choices seem very good. Eric bana is a good actor, I don't know what character he's playing, I just hope that they don't bury him in a ton of "alien" makeup where's he's not even recognizable. I guess the Matt Damon , Kirk , rumor wasn't true?......

I wonder if JJ ABrams would dare to have this movie WITHOUT Kirk? **GEEK ALERT** After all Spock did serve on the Enterprise for many years before Kirk did.

My plot ideas....bear with me. Leonard Nimoy has been cast, so maybe Old Spock, gets in touch with Young Spock of the Past. Young Spocks crew(without KIRK, yet) but Commander Pike, are sent on a mission to in the past to confront a young Dr. Soran ( Eric Bana) from conducting his Nexus experiments, all in a an effort to avoid the death of Captain Kirk. I know that it's a lame plot and it involves Time Travel which the Star Trek franchise has beaten to death, but I really though the death of Captain Kirk was a travesty. Anyway those are my two cents....Not the greatest of ideas , but hey I'm on 2 hours sleep today!

On a side note has anyone ever heard Eddie Izzards Star Trek comedy bit? It's beyond Hilarious!

Will Eric Bana possibly be playing a Romulan?... That would be where old Spock currently is and maybe the threat comes from Romulus...

My two cents-- Nathan Fillion as Kirk.

Will Eric Bana possibly be playing a Romulan?... That would be where old Spock currently is and maybe the threat comes from Romulus...

My two cents-- Nathan Fillion as Kirk.

I love Fillion, but he's too old at this point to be pre-TOS. He could be post TOS, but then the ages of the other characters all get screwed up.

You know, I like the idea of Pike...

AICN had a pic of the guy rumored to be cast as Kirk and he does look like a pretty boy version of a young Shatner.

Also according to rumors this is kind of a reboot - this starts an alternate timeline than the traditional Trek universe thus the time shifting with Nimoy and Quinto playing the same character.

all this talk has got me really jazzed about this movie now! I wonder who they'll cast as McCoy?

I think that Gary Sinise would be a great McCoy. Wasn't McCoy always suppsoed be older than the rest of the cast? I think that might work.

I think that Gary Sinise would be a great McCoy. Wasn't McCoy always suppsoed be older than the rest of the cast? I think that might work.

According to IMDB DeForest Kelley McCoy was born in 1920. In contrast the rest of the cast other than James Doohan also born in 1920 were all born in the 1930s. So yes McCoy is older I think Gary Sinise is actually a great choice on has that same kinda raspy voice.

Although it's not fair, how geeked I remain for this movie is also going to depend on how well Cloverfield turns out.

I think Sinise was rumored to play Bones months ago and shot down. I like him a lot, but I also like that they're going with relatively newer actors to play the roles. The casting of the kid from Huff should make an interesting Chekov.

Are there any rumors about who might be playing Christopher Pike? Maybe Spock is already serving with Pike as the story begins and Kirk is introduced.

Back