Vintage Creature Action figure....Worth a lot of $$$ !!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a proof that there is a huge demand for Creature PF...
Are we ever gonna get it? As far as I remember, we've been
asking for it since the first PF came out... :(

I had a Mego creature back in the 70's.

As a matter of fact I think I had a Mego everything...

First of all: That auction is nuts! Or rather the high bidder is. Almost 3k! :eek

Second of all: I'd LOVE to have a PF of The Creature from the Black Lagoon.

I'm sure that eventually Sideshow will produce one, and I'll be there waiting.

On that one, I'd prefer the color version over a B&W one I think.

I do think it'd be the crown jewel of any creature/old monster collection.

JS

Nearly $3000 grand for a MOC figure, and the top of the card has been cut off?!? WTF... that is just in-bat****-sane!

But it looks like a cool figure to own :lol

I had one MOC and sold it for $6800 last year. Another MOC piece sold on Ebay a few months ago for $8000. A ton of demand for this Creature by AHI MOC and they just don't exist. Not many out there............Larry

This figure has been in my collection before. Believe me...its over rated. The only things that make these AHI figures cool is

1. the nostalgia factor.

2. the head sculpts are good, clearly inspired by the Aurora Model kits.

But these figures are very, very cheaply produced. If they were released today, people would moan and groan about how primitive they are. Like I said, they are nice...but overrated. If you have read any of my posts, you know I am a "died":)rotfl) in the wool Universal Monsters fan. Yet for the price these things are fetching, and the quality involved (or lack thereof) I may never add these back to my collection again.

Curious - Why did the Creature sell for almost 3k, while the other vintage
movie monster figures only sell for "merely" hundreds? I don't see the appeal
at any price, but what about the Creature warrants such a price premium?

JS :confused:

Curious - Why did the Creature sell for almost 3k, while the other vintage
movie monster figures only sell for "merely" hundreds? I don't see the appeal
at any price, but what about the Creature warrants such a price premium?

JS :confused:

A bit of history.

https://thegalleryofmonstertoys.com/70swing/70smainpage.html
https://thegalleryofmonstertoys.com/70swing/ahicreaturesloose.jpg

I suppose more effort went into the Creature so kids could take him in the tub. He actually has some metal pieces and not just plastic. The variation or "female" looking version has a rubber like composition. Creatures were (if I remember correctly) introduced as the line began to fade. Later introduction to a fading series...fewer made. Plus, as Evil Face seems to have pointed out, Creature fans love their Gill-man with a fiery passion.

Yeah, rarity and a popular character can drive prices sky high. I guess I just never realized how much the Gilman sold for.

That'd be a great find at a garage sale :lol

Its not that crazy if you think about it....that AHI figure is the first licensed Creature figure. There are less than 10 known copies still MOC known to exist. Creature fans are rabid when it comes to collecting and will pay what it takes to obtain the rarest of rare. I wish I still had mine.....................Larry

I've got a loose, hard-plastic AHI Gill Man. One of his feet is detached, but the pin is intact. I'd post a pic, but he's boxed away along with the rest of my toys since my move last year, awaiting freedom from captivity upon completion of a never-ending basement remodel.

I also have a squishy-rubbery Creature-On-A-String from way back when, but again, no pics at this time.

Thanks for some of the info fellows.

I will say that from a looks standpoint, The Creature is certainly tops to me.
But the big 2 I hear about most are Dracula and Frankenstein movie-wise.
Following that up would be The Wolfman in a very distant third, and then
on to others. The Creature from the Black Lagoon doesn't even rate that
often as far as one of the top classic monster films when the others are
mentioned constantly and generally accepted as the pinnacle films.

That was what I was referring to. For a film that doesn't get as much
mention as the others, that action figure handed them their @$$ price-wise.

JS

If you're talking about quality of films that still stand up today - I think Bride of Frankenstein wins hands down. But the Creature is certainly a cool monster design.

Back