WB, Miller pushing Justice League for 09

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This means they're likely rushing the script through so that it's done beforing the impending strike. The current script is not that good, so if they're going with that.... yikes. :(

I like George Miller, though.

From George Miller's history, he doesn't sign on to just anything. So I'm thinking that either the script is fine by him, or he has ideas for fixing it. I'm interested in hearing what they'll do - team movies rarely work - but Miller is a great filmmaker.

I have my doubts in this film seriously.....the first one being that Bale and Routh were not going to reprise their roles making it a continuity nightmare for the fans especially since next year a Batman film is released with Bale and a Superman film starting Routh is slated for 09 as well. When I heard Beowulf styled CGI I was a little more at ease but in reality with the latest rumors that it'll be live action after all I think it'll have budget that will balloon horrifically, it'll never make that back in its opening weekend and be considered a bomb. George Miller may be good but if they are rushing, the casting, the storyline and overall tone of the film may suffer especially since this is the first time we'll see a live action Green Lantern, Flash, Wonder Woman, etc before their respective films......which may star different people. :rolleyes:

I have my doubts in this film seriously.....the first one being that Bale and Routh were not going to reprise their roles making it a continuity nightmare for the fans especially since next year a Batman film is released with Bale and a Superman film starting Routh is slated for 09 as well. When I heard Beowulf styled CGI I was a little more at ease but in reality with the latest rumors that it'll be live action after all I think it'll have budget that will balloon horrifically, it'll never make that back in its opening weekend and be considered a bomb. George Miller may be good but if they are rushing, the casting, the storyline and overall tone of the film may suffer especially since this is the first time we'll see a live action Green Lantern, Flash, Wonder Woman, etc before their respective films......which may star different own people. :rolleyes:

Alan Horn is an idiot. He greenlit a remake of "Posiedion. After it bombed his 10 yr old Daughter told him no-one wanted to see another sinking ship movie after Titanic. 10 yr olds have more sense about Movies than he does.

Rushing JL before the respective characters have been introduced in their respective Films just to satisfy a possible pre-strike tentpole (and pissing off Bale and others with a Live Action project) is just plain stupid. Milller would be a good choice at the appropriate time but attaching him to the project in order to draw what B list talent is available now is even more idiotic.

This is why Lawyers and Accountants shouldn't be running Studios. They don't have a clue what they are doing.

A studio exec's first and only goal is keeping his or her job, not making good movies.

Hollywood is F'ed.

A homily about a goose that lays golden eggs comes to mind.

I guess the thinking is that if it's a hit they can spin off the JLA characters into their own movies and this could include the new JLA Batman and JLA Superman. While if it's a bomb, Nolan and Singer can pick up the pieces -- again. And if Nolan, Singer, Routh or Bale (or any combination thereof) are so offended that they don't come back, well then they're thinking everyone's replacable and repacing them post-strike is someone else's problem. I'd say the chances of a Singer-less Superman sequel just went up.

Either way, I'd love to see what figures Hot Toys can make of the JLA.

I think WB has seen that competing interpretations of the different characters doesn't hurt. So having the Justice League Superman and Batman being from different universes than the other live action films could work. Personally I don't like Singer's interpretation and would like to see Welling take over in a re-imagining of a live action Supes.

Right now WB has the original animated Superman, the Doomsday animated Superman, Smallville, Singer Superman, New Frontier Justice League and Legion of Super Heroes. Everyone has a character called Clark Kent/Superman and each one is completely different with a different history. I say go ahead with Justice League - Singer and Nolan be damned.

Yeah, I have no qualms about creating a new franchise with different actors but the timing of doing this properly is key here. WB is trying to rush a tentpole before the characters have been properly introduced to the market.

JL never happened before the characters had their own identity and following, although X-Men worked, X-Men was always an ensemble piece, these are stand alone Superheroes who were each well known before banding together. The fact that Batman and Superman are rolling out sequels in the same relative time frame only makes matters worse IMO. A Studio has to consider the consequences of doing that and rushing it. Bale is prolly a bit peeved knowing they are casting another Batman as he is filming DK. Don't know how Nolan feels about it.

Seems like cart before the horse here because the Studio doesn't have a Summer Movie for 09 and that is a bad reason to rush it into Production. This from the Studio which took 12 years to come up with a Superman Movie and ended up doing a virtual remake of the original story. I have a feeling this project won't fly right now. We'll see...

Last edited:
Victoria Hill Tests for Justice League
Source: Moviehole September 23, 2007

Moviehole is reporting that Aussie actress Victoria Hill auditioned for the role of Wonder Woman in Warner Bros. big screen Justice League of America adaptation:

The starlet, currently seen in the Village Roadshow release "December Boys," has tested for the role of Wonder Woman.

Now that doesn't mean she's in the running or a contender – you'd have to be a fly on the wall in the casting director's office to get wind of how she went, obviously – but she did read for the Amazonian princess.

victoria_m.jpg

Jessica Biel in Talks for Justice League!
Source: Variety September 25, 2007

Jessica Biel is in talks to play Wonder Woman in Warner Bros.' all-star superhero film Justice League of America, reports Variety.

The potential deal marks the first piece of casting to emerge from the DC Comics-based ensemble project, which is expected to feature Superman, Batman, the Flash and Aquaman in addition to Wonder Woman.

George Miller (Happy Feet) will direct the big screen adaptation. Kieran and Michele Mulroney wrote the script.

Biel is filming the indie drama Powder Blue, which wraps in October, opposite Forest Whitaker. She will then segue to A Woman of No Importance, based on the play by Oscar Wilde. That leaves room on the actress' schedule for "Justice League," which Warner is fast-tracking as a project before any potential strikes. However, the film's likelihood hinges on the studio's ability to assemble a cast of superheroes in a small window of time.

The trade says the studio declined comment, saying that it prefers to announce an entire cast rather than piecemeal deals

jessica_biel1ALT_300_400.jpg

Looks like things are going forward despite the strike and despite the fact that Wondy has her own film in the pipeline. The question is now whether or not the other heroes in JL will continue in their own respective films or whether they'll pull a Bale and Routh and keep them in their own respective films....

The Wonder Woman movie is back on the shelf since the studio passed on Joss's script.

There's a Flash movie in the works too and, if internet rumors can be believed, a comedic take on Green Lantern.

The big 2 of Batman and Superman have been established in their own franchise - that any of the other characters could have been successful franchises remains to be seen. JL gives them one more bite at the tentpole pie (not to mix metaphors or anything).

I remember the rumors about the comedic GL, I believe Jack Black's name was attached to it.....I'm sure with the JL movie fast tracking it'll kill anything that was set before. The Flash film is supposedly close to casting with Goyer as director but Ryan Reynolds the front runner that Goyer himself said he'd love to cast as Wally West has said he was spoken to about the JL movie not a Flash film......

I have no hopes for this film whatsoever but I think we'll get some cool merchandising out of it...

I'm thinking this is going to be a tough movie to make in the timeline they are talking. To cast an ensemble piece like this with heavy CGI its going to take time to find the right cast and get the correct special effects company lined up.

Not as much worried about no Bale or Routh, I pretty much figure the JLA movie is going to be seperate in terms of history and reality. I don't see Bale's batman character anywhere near a Robin at this point much less the JLA. I'd prefer they take their time let Dark Knight come out and do Singer's next Superman and work from there...but I don't run the movie houses.

And as good looking as Jessica Biel is and she has had some good roles, she doesn't project any kind of Wonder Woman to me, maybe Hawkgirl.

Miller is a good director, from Mad Max, to Lorenzo's Oil, to Babe to Happy Feet, he knows what he is doing, I just hope the Warner Execs do as well, I'd hate to have another Batman spectacular mess movie again.

Evan

I've always thought highly of George Miller and his directing choices - but remember before Batman Forever, the fan community was pretty okay with Schumacher. He had Lost Boys and Falling Down under his belt - 2 movies that showed he could handle comic book and dark characters. Too bad he went the DC Cab route with the Batman franchise.

Not as much worried about no Bale or Routh, I pretty much figure the JLA movie is going to be seperate in terms of history and reality. I don't see Bale's batman character anywhere near a Robin at this point much less the JLA. I'd prefer they take their time let Dark Knight come out and do Singer's next Superman and work from there...but I don't run the movie houses.

It'd be interesting if they made the JLA films and then when the Batman and Superman films have run their courses they tie the ends back into the beginning of the JLA...

Jessica Biel Passes on Justice League
Source: Lobo September 28, 2007

Entertainment Weekly has learned that Jessica Biel has decided to pass on playing Wonder Woman in Warner Bros.' live-action Justice League. The former "7th Heaven" star had been in early talks to play the Amazonian princess.

George Miller (Happy Feet) will direct the big screen adaptation. Kieran and Michele Mulroney wrote the script.

Jessica Biel Passes on Justice League
Source: Lobo September 28, 2007

Entertainment Weekly has learned that Jessica Biel has decided to pass on playing Wonder Woman in Warner Bros.' live-action Justice League. The former "7th Heaven" star had been in early talks to play the Amazonian princess.

I just saw that a couple of minutes ago myself. IMHO, wonder woman to me, is one of those uncastable roles. nobody I have ever seen has what it takes to flesh out that character. Biel is close, but so far away from what I imagine.

I disagree. I think Wondy is castable but I think that Hollywood needs someone with European looks and feel. Biel is far from this character IMHO, she would have the muscular tone but definitely doesn't have the presence needed and was gone to specifically for a name to attach to the film. I would picture someone like Monica Bellucci as Wonder Woman although I'm sure she is much older than what they are gunning for.

Either way its not good for this film, this film actually getting done and launched on the timetable requires that they cast all the roles quickly...

I disagree. I think Wondy is castable but I think that Hollywood needs someone with European looks and feel. Biel is far from this character IMHO, she would have the muscular tone but definitely doesn't have the presence needed and was gone to specifically for a name to attach to the film. I would picture someone like Monica Bellucci as Wonder Woman although I'm sure she is much older than what they are gunning for.

Either way its not good for this film, this film actually getting done and launched on the timetable requires that they cast all the roles quickly...

Well, if you think about it, Wonder Woman is technically Greek, so get some incredibly gorgeous Greek chick to play her.

I just saw that a couple of minutes ago myself. IMHO, wonder woman to me, is one of those uncastable roles. nobody I have ever seen has what it takes to flesh out that character. Biel is close, but so far away from what I imagine.

Um, Linda Carter??

I know this is gonna sound crazy, but Melora Hardin (Jan from the Office) after 6 weeks of weight training could fill her boots. I think they're looking in the wrong place with the likes of Biel. I think they need to look for a young couger with an athletic build and a ball busting swagger.

Biel is far too lackadaisy and fragile.

Back