Opinions on Twisties (not the chips) Anyone?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

peterpil

What do people think of the new packaging method where the 12 inch figures are basically tied head to toe in twisties, and where you have to take their clothes off to get them off?

Can anyone enlighten me as to the logic behind this move? Because if it is to better protect them during the shipping and handling process, I think it has added to the danger--You have to be real careful not to scratch the head of the figures when removing them and taking the clothes off only causes creases, so why this new method?

Anyone?

What do people think of the new packaging method where the 12 inch figures are basically tied head to toe in twisties, and where you have to take their clothes off to get them off?

It's not particularly new - my Doc Holliday was the worst example I'd suffered of this; had to strip him down and then had an absolute nightmare trying to get his belt back on... I still wake up in a cold sweat at night thinking about it. :google

It is bloody stupid packaging - even attacking it with wire-cutters doesn't always solve the problem. I guess it's our fault though for wanting to take 'Collectibles' out of their packaging :bang

Nick

Twisties are a great anti-theft device to keep those "on the shelf" figures complete while the mass market stores wait for them to sell. Oh wait, you can't buy Sideshow figures in major retail mass market stores!! Soooo, what the hell is the deal with them??
:dunno

They're horrible indeed. Very dangerous to damage the figure while unpacking imo.
And perhaps you read my little bloody accident I had with the phantom.
Twisties BAAAAAD...

I'm not defending them as I hate the twisty under the clothes with a passion, but...

The twisties aren't for theft protection but to prevent the figure and accessories from moving around during shipping. As I stated in a previous post, the packages are tested by dropping them from a height, if something moves during this testing a twisty or tape is added to prevent it moving around.

But there's no reason it has to be under the clothes.:skull

This probably should go under a 'get a life thread' but a little Twisty Tie footnote... a couple of years back, feeling very bored and slightly curious I started to keep the twistys from my toys and join them together. After 3 months (of not particularly frenetic buying either) I'd amassed a twisty tie 90 feet long!!!

Nick

Rofl Nick ,that's just awesome, please tell me you have a pic of that :lol

But there's no reason it has to be under the clothes.

If the abuse they suffer is alike to being dropped from a hight, I suppose that the clothing would be at least wrinkled by them, if not torn. So perhaps it's indeed better to have them under the clothes.

As I stated in a previous post, the packages are tested by dropping them from a height, if something moves during this testing a twisty or tape is added to prevent it moving around.

The way these things are twistied, one good drop, from any height that should be considered significant, would snap the torso apart. :lol

Twisties

I agree they are a pain in the ass. The figures wouldn't move even with many less twisties...
I really HATE them!

Twisties

And.....if twisties are the "safety" belt for the figure, then, I suppose the big molded plastic "casing" is just for show?? Sideshow could probably lower the price a good few dollars if they cut back on those annoying buggers!!

Re: Twisties

Twisties suck, there is no question about it. But D does have a point, I've bought plenty of Dragon figures and Blue Box figures that have had their accessories all over the place. and one or two Sideshow figures that have had the same.
I've also had plenty of Dragon & Blue Box figures that have had the paint rubbing off the head on the inside of the package, which I think the twisty tie around the neck or around the shoulders, under the clothes is supposed to prevent on Sideshow figures, even though I had almost all the paint on my Jason from part 6 rubbed off his nose, so it doesn't work all the time.

It would be best if Sideshow did something new to prevent the figure and accessories from moving around during shipping.
If they're not going to try anything new, I'd prefer one twisty around the neck (never under the clothes) and the tapped clear plastic band around the knees, maybe one long twisty tie around each wrist and none of the twisties going through the card board and tapped on the back, I hate it when they tape the twisty on the back of the cardboard. >:

I also dislike when Sideshow pushes the accessories into deep pockets in the plastic tray. when I remove sideshow accessories, I always have to struggle to get them out of the tray and cutting the tray up doesn't help much. I've also broke a few accessories trying to remove them from the packaging. Sideshow should definitely do something about this problem.

I do like what Medicom is doing now, which is similar to Dragon. They have a plastic cover on the tray that conforms to the shape of the figure, unlike Dragon's which is just a flat cover on the tray.

I have only opened five figures so far and I can't say I've had any problems with the twisties. They were Van Helsing, Anna Valerious, SSE Creature, Nazi Kroenen and Xtra Salty Ermey. Now I have a whole stack of Buffy figures that I'm waiting to open so are you guys telling me I should be worried. :thud

I don't remember that any of the Buffy figures have the twisty under the clothes, but I could be wrong.

The twisties don't bother me accept for the dreaded "under the arms- under the clothes" ones. :rage

I thought SS was going in the right direction when they released a few figures with the "dental floss" around the neck. Those were awesome. They were easy to cut and remove.

Rofl Nick ,that's just awesome, please tell me you have a pic of that

I have now - all rolled up I'm afraid though...

TWISTY.JPG

... I hate to think how many miles of the darned things I've got through in the past few years! And collectively we must have untwisted enough twistys to tie the Earth to the packaging of the Universe several times over!

Nick

Back