This stuff will be worthless in 10 years..

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Chaver

Super Freak
Reaction score
Debating leaving the hobby again. The way things are speeding up and from the books I?ve been reading, these crazy prices that we?re seeing on this stuff is going to go the way of the music and film industry and malls etc. ect.

The bubble is soon to burst.

Yeah I?m giving it less than 10 years and this stuff will be made even better for far cheaper.

And if that doesn?t sound crazy enough, it could be that it won?t be made at all anymore.

10 years..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T2 cost $100 million to make in 1990, which is equal to about $200 million today. Not sure I follow your comment regarding the film industry.

I don't know that luxury goods will behave like other types of products. Sure, there are some old Sideshow Star Wars figures that aren't worth much because Hot Toys has released better versions, but there are still 15 year-old pieces that fetch a pretty penny because their execution stands the test of time: the Uruk-Hai Berserker statue, the Lord of Darkness busts, etc.

But ok, let's say the bubble bursts and values decrease across the board similar to what happened with computers and TVs. I only buy pieces that remind me of childhood or inspire me in some way, so while I might be somewhat bummed, I won't regret the prior years I spent collecting great art. And on the positive side, I'll have an easier time collecting my favorite characters in the future.

And who's to say today's products won't possess that extra special something that keeps them relevant as time goes by? Techniques may improve and processes may streamline, but with that comes complacency.

Last edited:
Wow....to think I *almost* spent the next 10 years enjoying my hobby. I can't imaging still collecting in 10 years and paying less money for a better made product.

Well, if we're being completely honest with ourselves, this whole hobby is worthless. All the figures. All the comics. All the action flicks. Utterly worthless. Our attachment to them is out of nostalgia that was formed in the first two decades or so of our lives. You take that, and then you throw 200$ per pop on them. And that's just the figures. I'm ignoring prop replicas, Lego sets, action figures, Omnibuses, single issues, Absolute Editions, whatever collectible exists in our bubble. It's all absolutely meaningless. You could chuck them out of your home and nothing would change. You could go back in time and prevent yourself from ever getting into such nerdy things, and I honestly think your life would be better. The simple truth is that we're still discussing these things based not on objective quality, but our childish connection with them. Any way you cut it, that's what it comes down to. The Avengers, the JLA, Terminator, DMC, whatever it may be, it's pop products designed to be consumed and thrown away; they're the fast food of entertainment. And if you were a very career oriented person, you could expand that most novels, movies and whatnot. The majority will be forgotten in the coming years. You already have classics being left in the dust, and cinema has been a thing for a century or so. It's their nature. Only a few things pass the "Great Filter".

All that said, this type of collecting anyhow, isn't about value. It's about buying stuff that represent those things that left a mark on you. That's why I'm against the "gotta get that to complete that because it is tangiably related to this" type of collecting. I think you should sit down, find the stuff that you still have an attachment to, and then pick from those the ones that still matter in one way or another. You'll end up with a franchise or two, a couple of characters, a few runs and movies. And that's enough, really. Otherwise you remain stuck to the past, desperately trying to capture a past nostalgia that might not even exist, ending up with a cluttered rom filled with utterly meaningless things; action figures, plastic statues and replicas, all representing robots, musclemen and monsters. But if you choose, you create a small collection that represents, for better or worse, a part of your life, even if it's about Space Mauhreens or Elves or whatever.

What I'm getting at, is that if you're concentrated on just a couple of Pop Culture[SUP]TM[/SUP] things, a new version coming along won't bother you that much. Because you'll like the character enough to get it. Or you'll be satisfied with the one you've got. Or you'll throw the cash because it's a one-time expense, instead of trying to juggle the POs for a dozen different things. An example. You like Darth Vader. You've got multiple Anakins and Vaders, in various formats. Satues, figures of all scales, whatever. A new version comes along, and if it's so much better, you pick it up. You don't have to worry about the new Han/Luke/Spider-Man/Kirk/Cap/T-800/Hot New Property Fad #2658. Your thing might be Star Wars or a hodgepodge of stuff or anything else. The point is buying only the things that bring you some sort of joy, instead of treating the whole thing as some hoarding completionist's nightmare. Because that way it'll never be over. These things are designed in a way that it'll never be enough. New costumes, new movies, reboots, whatever. And if you go in with a speculator's mindset, then you never really liked those things to begin with; you were chasing a profit. And there are much better ways to make a profit than buying 300$ figures and hoping they reach 1K on the aftermarket. I like it when a piece I own ends up costing more than I bought it for, sure. But I'll never sell it; it's just an ego trip to see something you have be worth more than you paid.

Bottom line is, if you're worried about importance and longevity, get into collecting real art, assuming you've got the money. These things are just fun distractions that we like to look at. None of it is important. None of it will be remembered. All of it will most likely have a superior version coming out at some point. But if you focus on only the few stuff you legitimately like, then that won't bother you because you'll always get some enjoyment out of everything.

Art is worth what you are willing to pay for it.

I have lots of prints and props and figures , decorating my man cave. They make me happy .......

What?s that worth?

Debating leaving the hobby again. The way things are speeding up and from the books I?ve been reading, these crazy prices that we?re seeing on this stuff is going to go the way of the music and film industry and malls etc. ect.

Yeah I?m giving it less than 10 years and this stuff will be made even better for far cheaper.

And if that doesn?t sound crazy enough, it could be that it won?t be made at all anymore.

10 years..

Yes, you need to give up. If this doesn't bring you happiness at all, why keep going?

I think if you're in the hobby to "make money" you've lost before you've begun.
In 10 years, I'm sure I'll still be enjoying whatever figures I've been enjoying for years.

Well, if we're being completely honest with ourselves, this whole hobby is worthless. All the figures. All the comics. All the action flicks. Utterly worthless. Our attachment to them is out of nostalgia that was formed in the first two decades or so of our lives. You take that, and then you throw 200$ per pop on them. And that's just the figures. I'm ignoring prop replicas, Lego sets, action figures, Omnibuses, single issues, Absolute Editions, whatever collectible exists in our bubble. It's all absolutely meaningless. You could chuck them out of your home and nothing would change. You could go back in time and prevent yourself from ever getting into such nerdy things, and I honestly think your life would be better. The simple truth is that we're still discussing these things based not on objective quality, but our childish connection with them. Any way you cut it, that's what it comes down to. The Avengers, the JLA, Terminator, DMC, whatever it may be, it's pop products designed to be consumed and thrown away; they're the fast food of entertainment. And if you were a very career oriented person, you could expand that most novels, movies and whatnot. The majority will be forgotten in the coming years. You already have classics being left in the dust, and cinema has been a thing for a century or so. It's their nature. Only a few things pass the "Great Filter".

All that said, this type of collecting anyhow, isn't about value. It's about buying stuff that represent those things that left a mark on you. That's why I'm against the "gotta get that to complete that because it is tangiably related to this" type of collecting. I think you should sit down, find the stuff that you still have an attachment to, and then pick from those the ones that still matter in one way or another. You'll end up with a franchise or two, a couple of characters, a few runs and movies. And that's enough, really. Otherwise you remain stuck to the past, desperately trying to capture a past nostalgia that might not even exist, ending up with a cluttered rom filled with utterly meaningless things; action figures, plastic statues and replicas, all representing robots, musclemen and monsters. But if you choose, you create a small collection that represents, for better or worse, a part of your life, even if it's about Space Mauhreens or Elves or whatever.

What I'm getting at, is that if you're concentrated on just a couple of Pop Culture[SUP]TM[/SUP] things, a new version coming along won't bother you that much. Because you'll like the character enough to get it. Or you'll be satisfied with the one you've got. Or you'll throw the cash because it's a one-time expense, instead of trying to juggle the POs for a dozen different things. An example. You like Darth Vader. You've got multiple Anakins and Vaders, in various formats. Satues, figures of all scales, whatever. A new version comes along, and if it's so much better, you pick it up. You don't have to worry about the new Han/Luke/Spider-Man/Kirk/Cap/T-800/Hot New Property Fad #2658. Your thing might be Star Wars or a hodgepodge of stuff or anything else. The point is buying only the things that bring you some sort of joy, instead of treating the whole thing as some hoarding completionist's nightmare. Because that way it'll never be over. These things are designed in a way that it'll never be enough. New costumes, new movies, reboots, whatever. And if you go in with a speculator's mindset, then you never really liked those things to begin with; you were chasing a profit. And there are much better ways to make a profit than buying 300$ figures and hoping they reach 1K on the aftermarket. I like it when a piece I own ends up costing more than I bought it for, sure. But I'll never sell it; it's just an ego trip to see something you have be worth more than you paid.

Bottom line is, if you're worried about importance and longevity, get into collecting real art, assuming you've got the money. These things are just fun distractions that we like to look at. None of it is important. None of it will be remembered. All of it will most likely have a superior version coming out at some point. But if you focus on only the few stuff you legitimately like, then that won't bother you because you'll always get some enjoyment out of everything.

Beautifully written and 100% accurate.

As long as the hobby holds interest some of this stuff will have value in years to come. For me personally, the interest is waning as prices and scales continue to rise and I'm really getting over the boxes and space needed for them. More characters being produced now also have less meaning to me but that's to be expected.

Not to mention the materials involved to produce all of this stuff. When I look at what SSC has up on their new releases page, some of it just looks like disposable crap to eventfully add to a landfill later in life. The less I buy, the less I hopefully add to that..(that's what I tell myself). Maybe I'm just getting old with a changing perspective.

Yeah I’m giving it less than 10 years and this stuff will be made even better for far cheaper.

And if that doesn’t sound crazy enough, it could be that it won’t be made at all anymore.

10 years..

I actually don’t understand what you’re saying, Chaver. And I don’t mean that as a dig or anything, I’m genuinely curious.

What do you mean by “the way things are speeding up and from the books you’ve read”? What books and what are they saying about my dollies?

What do you mean by “this stuff will be made even better for far cheaper”? Isn’t that a good thing for the 1:6 scale market? We’re always wanting a better figure at a better price.

And what won?t be made at all anymore in 10 years? Collectibles? 1:6 figures?

And my last question...Was this a late night drunk post? Inquiring minds want to know. :D

The market for collectables is fluid and dynamic.

Legos, mostly worthless in the 80?s now command huge prices. They can adapt that to new generations if needed. My children love legos and have many. They will likely pass this on to their kids someday.

1/6 can always have a market. The characters will change, to reflect the fads at the time. Someday Youtubers maybe a property. Who knows.

Who would have guessed those ugly Pop figures would be so huge? And mostly with a younger fan base.

1/6 may have worn out its welcome as Hollywood struggles to produce memorable movies and characters that have a long term following. But Hollywood can change also. And who knows what big property might capture the imagination in 15 years?

Now the word WORTH is not synonymous with VALUE or MONEY.

If you are only in it for the money. Please leave now.

Exactly

OP, it sounds like you're not in it for the right reasons and therefore you should find something you enjoy instead. Life is too short not to

As for the bubble bursting, that ain't going to happen either. Prices for everything keep going up and will continue to rise, that's life. Geeky movies are cool now, and people will pay for that

Might I suggest Silver as an investment?

I actually don’t understand what you’re saying, Chaver. And I don’t mean that as a dig or anything, I’m genuinely curious.

What do you mean by “the way things are speeding up and from the books you’ve read”? What books and what are they saying about my dollies?

What do you mean by “this stuff will be made even better for far cheaper”? Isn’t that a good thing for the 1:6 scale market? We’re always wanting a better figure at a better price.

And what won?t be made at all anymore in 10 years? Collectibles? 1:6 figures?

And my last question...Was this a late night drunk post? Inquiring minds want to know. :D

:lol

The whole collecting hobby we have going here is very interesting to me, because ultimately it is the accumulation of physical objects that we get and then throw into a display. It's not like other hobbies, where you go out and actually do more of an activity. I mean sure you can have pose sessions or what not, but it's not the same as say painting, or playing basketball, or hiking, whatever you know?

With any hobby, when we begin to lose interest in it we often will gradually drop it. It's the same with figures, though I think sometimes people stay in the game because they have physical things on the shelf representing the hobby and they feel the need to continue because it's right there, or as other users pointed out, there is never really a definitive end to it unless you clearly draw the line and say "this is enough no matter what else comes out." I enjoy collecting and I think it's fun, but if a time comes where that is not the case it's time to drop it. Or better yet, if you are not finding joy in other aspects of life perhaps there are deeper issues. Collecting should be enjoyable, but it should not be your main source of joy if that makes sense.

Personally, I have also found that having a very small collection with a few definitive pieces brings me more appreciation for it all. In that way, I really do see it as art. When I used to have a whole bunch of action figures, eventually it got to a point where they all blurred together and it became less about "art" and more about "stuff." That was when I knew it was time to shake things up. Now all I got is what you see in my sig. It's made me way more picky about what I add to the collection, but also much more content with what I have. To me each piece is damn near perfect, and I know that if another version comes out down the line I probably won't want it or feel the need to upgrade.

Edit: And yeah, just to add on to the financial side of the discussion. Spend your money wisely, but don't get into collecting to get more than you put into it. It's not about the money, it's about the figure. The amount I see it reiterated constantly all over the place in online collecting communities, that these shouldn't be viewed as an investment, cannot be stated enough. It's more of an investment into what happiness it brings for you; and if it doesn't satisfy any longer it's not worth collecting. While it may seem less exciting, if people are wanting to invest, go spend your dollars on actual stocks that will pay off way more in the coming years instead of a few toys.

Wow, some real interest here with a little [emoji1645] on the side. [emoji51]

I have a large reply but I?m in the middle of a remodel and don?t have access to my PC till maybe tomorrow. I prefer the keyboard when long writing to this handheld monolith I?m typing this on right now. [emoji23]

10 years..

Bye :wave

If you're leaving the hobby, why bother to announce it to everyone? Unless you just want attention from digital strangers? In which case you have bigger problems than your precious dolls depreciating over the course of the next 10 years.

Bye :wave

If you're leaving the hobby, why bother to announce it to everyone? Unless you just want attention from digital strangers? In which case you have bigger problems than your precious dolls depreciating over the course of the next 10 years.

It doesn't have to be that way, sometimes these are conversations worth having with people who at least know what you're talking about. It didn't come across to me as an attention grab.

Back