Welcome to CollectorFreaks.com! Register today to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and easy!
Advanced Search
Sideshow Freaks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spam spam spam! Can we do something about it?

It's been getting really ridiculous. The first few pages of Introductions and Events are just spam posts. Can they be removed or can I block them somehow?

Super Freak
    Feedback
    70 (100%)
    I pm’d Darklord Dave a while back volunteering to help however I could, as I work 3rd shift when all of it happens, but never got a reply.

Quote Originally Posted by youbastards View Post
    I pm’d Darklord Dave a while back volunteering to help however I could, as I work 3rd shift when all of it happens, but never got a reply.
    Many years ago, Dave asked for people to apply to become mods, but nothing every came of it.

Then Sideshow Collectibles discontinued their financial support, and there's just no one left to take care of the site. I'm sure there's at least 5 of us who are willing to become mods to replace the ones who are no longer active. Though I understand there are more than 5 inactive mods.

But the mods' work is reactive, not proactive, they can only delete spam, not prevent spammers from registering on the forum.

I think the main issue is that the board software needs to be upgraded to prevent the spam, but that probably costs money, and since Sideshow isn't supporting the site anymore, and I'm sure Premium Membership is dropping, there's probably just no money to make the required maintenance. Though I'd like to think that if the forum opened up donations, there's a handful of people who might plunk down some change to support the board.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    4 (100%)
    This forum needs a big reset like it happened on RPF and Rebelscum, otherwise the security on the Freaks forum will lack more and more, until something bad happens.
    Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates but doesn't go away
    Hidden Content ◄ ◄ ◄ Hidden Content ► ► ► Hidden Content

Grand Admiral
    Feedback
    95 (100%)
    Things I'm Selling
    Yeah, something needs to be done. Adding another captcha code or way to prevent bots from registering.

Administrator
    Feedback
    5 (100%)
    Panjo
    Things I'm Selling
    Follow Darklord Dave On Twitter Add Darklord Dave on Facebook Visit Darklord Dave's Youtube Channel
    Unfortunately vBulletin changed their software to something that is even worse than this. The plan is to move the forum to new software, but that will require a major investment. I plan to make that move, but funds need to be available.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SwedishHeat View Post
    Many years ago, Dave asked for people to apply to become mods, but nothing every came of it.

Then Sideshow Collectibles discontinued their financial support, and there's just no one left to take care of the site. I'm sure there's at least 5 of us who are willing to become mods to replace the ones who are no longer active. Though I understand there are more than 5 inactive mods.

But the mods' work is reactive, not proactive, they can only delete spam, not prevent spammers from registering on the forum.

I think the main issue is that the board software needs to be upgraded to prevent the spam, but that probably costs money, and since Sideshow isn't supporting the site anymore, and I'm sure Premium Membership is dropping, there's probably just no money to make the required maintenance. Though I'd like to think that if the forum opened up donations, there's a handful of people who might plunk down some change to support the board.
    This. It?s really easy also. Email verification and 10 post approval count.

1 mod could do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Long live the King
    Hidden Content

Administrator
    Feedback
    5 (100%)
    Panjo
    Things I'm Selling
    Follow Darklord Dave On Twitter Add Darklord Dave on Facebook Visit Darklord Dave's Youtube Channel
    Yes, we have that for most of the forums - unfortunately it doesn't make much sense for Introductions or Forum Questions to require 10 posts before you can start a thread.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    1 (100%)
    I mean can?t they post to that thread after 3 approved posts?

We did this exactly thing on a school forum.

3 moderated approved posts in various theads, before any are posted or approved?
    It?s been a long whIle since I ran a site, maybe the boys are smarter now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Long live the King
    Hidden Content