Started Collecting Again - Looking for Guidance

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clark_kent

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Hello,

So I started collecting 1/6 scale Hot Toys back in 2012 then took a break in 2014. As of 2020, I'm back on the collecting scene!

As I make a list of the 1/6 scale Hot Toys I've missed during during this 6 years break, I've noticed some other players in the 1/6 or 1/4 scale game such as NECA and Toys Era (to name a few).

My question is: Can anyone point me in the direction of a general discussion regarding the pros and cons (and even list) of 1/6 and 1/4 scale manufacturers similar to Hot Toys?

I'm familiar NECA and their TMNT 1/4 collection (new figures coming out 2021 but I'm confused since I thought they already released their TMNT line)

I'm also familiar with the Toys Era "The Comedian" 1/6 figure (why it's not called "The Joker" I'm not too sure).

Thanks to anyone that can help!

Mo

Hello,

So I started collecting 1/6 scale Hot Toys back in 2012 then took a break in 2014. As of 2020, I'm back on the collecting scene!

As I make a list of the 1/6 scale Hot Toys I've missed during during this 6 years break, I've noticed some other players in the 1/6 or 1/4 scale game such as NECA and Toys Era (to name a few).

My question is: Can anyone point me in the direction of a general discussion regarding the pros and cons (and even list) of 1/6 and 1/4 scale manufacturers similar to Hot Toys?

I'm familiar NECA and their TMNT 1/4 collection (new figures coming out 2021 but I'm confused since I thought they already released their TMNT line)

I'm also familiar with the Toys Era "The Comedian" 1/6 figure (why it's not called "The Joker" I'm not too sure).

Thanks to anyone that can help!

Mo

Nothing has really changed. Hot Toys is the biggest company doing licensed figures and they protect the licenses they get so you're not going to find licensed competitors doing the same characters.

There are some companies out there that do well with single licenses like Asmus with Lord of the Rings, or with a handful of licenses like ThreeZero. Even Sideshow barely does 1/6 figures anymore.

Companies like Toys Era are unlicensed, sometimes with decent quality. But they're there more to cater to a niche market that's grown around making figures of characters that Hot Toys will not.

They don't really complete with Hot Toys directly in that respect. You're not really going to find them doing figures that Hot Toys is doing.

NECA is still NECA. Their TMNT line has grown a lot; at least the 7" figures. They have released the 1/4 Turtles already, but they get re-released constantly which is what you're seeing.

There's probably a few more options for statues now than before versus Sideshow if you wanted 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, or 1/5 scale statues like Iron Studios, Prime 1, and XM.

Nothing has really changed. Hot Toys is the biggest company doing licensed figures and they protect the licenses they get so you're not going to find licensed competitors doing the same characters.

There are some companies out there that do well with single licenses like Asmus with Lord of the Rings, or with a handful of licenses like ThreeZero. Even Sideshow barely does 1/6 figures anymore.

Companies like Toys Era are unlicensed, sometimes with decent quality. But they're there more to cater to a niche market that's grown around making figures of characters that Hot Toys will not.

They don't really complete with Hot Toys directly in that respect. You're not really going to find them doing figures that Hot Toys is doing.

NECA is still NECA. Their TMNT line has grown a lot; at least the 7" figures. They have released the 1/4 Turtles already, but they get re-released constantly which is what you're seeing.

There's probably a few more options for statues now than before versus Sideshow if you wanted 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, or 1/5 scale statues like Iron Studios, Prime 1, and XM.

That's great info! Thanks for the quick breakdown - it helped a lot!

As for those that said "Don't", it's too late lol. I've just ordered 9 Hot Toys 1/6 scale off Sideshow and spent an amount Im not proud of on he-man toys!

That's great info! Thanks for the quick breakdown - it helped a lot!

As for those that said "Don't", it's too late lol. I've just ordered 9 Hot Toys 1/6 scale off Sideshow and spent an amount Im not proud of on he-man toys!

No problem. What did you end up getting?

No problem. What did you end up getting?

1. Wicket - Hot Toys
2. Mysterio - Hot Toys
3. Whiplash 2020 - Hot Toys
4. Iron Man Mark LXXXV (Battle Damage) - Hot Toys
5. Thanos (Battle Damaged Version) - Hot Toys
6. Iron Man Mark XXI (Midas) 2020 - Hot Toys
7. Spider-Man (Upgraded Suit) - Hot Toys
8. Magneto - Sideshow
9. Mer-Man (Masters of the Universe) - Mondo

Super excited!

You order anything recent?

Mo

1. Wicket - Hot Toys
2. Mysterio - Hot Toys
3. Whiplash 2020 - Hot Toys
4. Iron Man Mark LXXXV (Battle Damage) - Hot Toys
5. Thanos (Battle Damaged Version) - Hot Toys
6. Iron Man Mark XXI (Midas) 2020 - Hot Toys
7. Spider-Man (Upgraded Suit) - Hot Toys
8. Magneto - Sideshow
9. Mer-Man (Masters of the Universe) - Mondo

Super excited!

You order anything recent?

Mo

Mostly sticking with Star Wars myself.

I find it amusing there's a Wicket in there with mostly Marvel figures. Picturing him stepping out of one of the portals in Endgame to take on Thanos.

Last edited:
Mostly sticking with Star Wars myself.

I find it amusing there's a Wicket in there with mostly Marvel figures. Picturing him stepping out of one of the portals in Endgame to take on Thanos.

Lol that'd be funny.

I'm saving Star Wars until I complete my MCU collection, however I couldn't pass up Wicket as he looked so cool and life-like. Hot Toys did a good job with him!

Back