Statue Tweeterhead Skeletor Life Sie bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darthblitzwing

Super Freak
Reaction score
wowzers
skelly.jpg

Attachments

• PreviewBanner-MOTU-Legends-LifeSizeBust-Skeletor-03_Feature (1).jpg
    PreviewBanner-MOTU-Legends-LifeSizeBust-Skeletor-03_Feature (1).jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Although looks great ....I'll stick with the full figure 1/4 sculpts.

I like Tweeterheads MOTU designs quite a bit. Looking forward to seeing the full reveal, although lifesize isn't really my thing.

I am kind of glad to see that full head. Might hint to it being mixed media and be an actual cloth hood. It would be pretty cool (imho) if that was the case and there was a switch to turn on and make the eyes glow red.

154168234_3860121650716313_8510008027807187046_o.jpg

From the darkest, most evil reaches of Eternia, we bring you Skeletor! Not only is this a life-size bust, but he comes resplendent with a pose-able hood and removable cape!
A full gallery and complete info of his evilness will be coming at you Tuesday with a pre-sale starting at 9:00am PST next Thursday the 4th of March.

Huh. I'm not a fan of the liberties they took with human anatomy. All I can see is baby Skeletor. If you've studied human anatomy you'd know they clearly based this off of a baby skull, not an adult skull, there are obvious differences.

Adults don't have a prominent frontal metopic suture on the forehead, only infant have that, as it disappears when the fontanel closes. Same with the location of the foramen, the round wide nasal cavity, and the short maxilla. The only part that isn't baby-like is the weirdly oversized lower jaw and it having teeth, lose those and it's literally a baby skull.

I also think the base texture is way overdone, bones have flat smooth surfaces where muscles are located, this has the same rough texture covering the entire surface. It looks more like bone cancer.

I just wish it looked more like the concept painting. The colors and silhouette of the armor made for a more imposing, graphic-looking piece.

Just doesn't grab me like the concept art. The new nose is too wide, doesn't have that sharp, menacing look to it. The red eyes are open wider than in the concept, would've preferred to keep them in a tight squint like he's sneering. And they went too Sideshow with the armor colors. It's executed well on a technical level, but lacks personality somewhat.

I hope their He-Man and Skeletor statues/maquettes aren't as inspired by Sideshow's approach and maintain a more graphic look.

Huh. I'm not a fan of the liberties they took with human anatomy. All I can see is baby Skeletor. If you've studied human anatomy you'd know they clearly based this off of a baby skull, not an adult skull, there are obvious differences.

Adults don't have a prominent frontal metopic suture on the forehead, only infant have that, as it disappears when the fontanel closes. Same with the location of the foramen, the round wide nasal cavity, and the short maxilla. The only part that isn't baby-like is the weirdly oversized lower jaw and it having teeth, lose those and it's literally a baby skull.

I also think the base texture is way overdone, bones have flat smooth surfaces where muscles are located, this has the same rough texture covering the entire surface. It looks more like bone cancer.

I get what you're saying about the liberties they took; I would've also preferred a smoother appearance. On the other hand, is it really supposed to be a perfect human skull? It has angles added to make the bone structure look more sinister. I mean, even his eyes are deep inside the sockets. I'm torn between realistic and fantasy on this.

It is already offered by European distribution, just preordered him through my local e-shop. The price will be very similar, but without that ridiculous postage (e-shop actually offers free postage).

Will nicely fit to my MOTU collection.

I get what you're saying about the liberties they took; I would've also preferred a smoother appearance. On the other hand, is it really supposed to be a perfect human skull? It has angles added to make the bone structure look more sinister. I mean, even his eyes are deep inside the sockets. I'm torn between realistic and fantasy on this.

Would've been more angular and sinister if they followed the concept. ;)

Thankfully it's not meant to be a realistic skull, it's skeletor which is based off a cartoon

I get what you're saying about the liberties they took; I would've also preferred a smoother appearance. On the other hand, is it really supposed to be a perfect human skull?

I majored in sculpting in art school and focused on life-sized bust and bones, I have no issues with taking artist liberties, for example really I like the weird curved part on the outside of the eye socket and the angles used for the lower jawbone, but this is more of basic human anatomy thing.

It has angles added to make the bone structure look more sinister.

If you are familiar with human anatomy you'd see a baby skull. They added several bone structures that ONLY appear on baby skulls. Babies have a vertical forehead ridge suture, a round nasal cavity, short maxilla, and vertical lower jaw sutures, those are defining features of baby skulls. Adult human skulls don't have any vertical lines on the forehead or jaw and they have long maxillas with long upside-down heart shaped nasal cavities.

download-1.jpg

It makes zero sense to add those as artist liberties unless the goal was to make Skeletor look more like a baby. I get the impression the artist is uncomfortable with smooth sections that don't have lots of fine details so he added them where the sculpt didn't need it.

They also screwed up the bones on his armor, the diagonal lines are messed up. It's clear the artist realized they needed more space for the center sphere and rather than repositioning the bones to be at the right angle, he just cut them in half and moved them down two inches. Overall the concept art had much better proportions, the bat on the chest is so large that it's hard to tell it's supposed to be a bat.

I did a quick and dirty Photoshop.

SkeletorBust.jpg

Last edited:
Wait, that's supposed to be a bat on his chest??? :slap

I didn't even notice the bones on the chest plate aren't inline with each other. That's really inexcusable at this price point.

The artist posted a comment on Batman Statue Collector's Youtube video covering this bust. I responded with a shortened version of what you've said as since I looked into it, I keep thinking "cancerous baby forehead" (I remembered the forehead suture from an AP course a very long time ago and then started digging).
Anyway, he didn't respond but as usual, people popped up defending saying artists don't know anatomy that well to which I couldn't stop but laughing to myself. I'm no professional artist, but I've read enough on the topic to know that you must know the human body very well in order to draw/sculpt it properly.

Back