Disney Announces Blu-ray Title Wave Coming '08

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunedain

Video Games and LOTR Mod
Reaction score
Disney Announces Blu-ray Title Wave Coming '08
Source:
Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment August 18, 2007

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment (WDSHE) announced Friday more innovations in the Blu-ray format with the studio's first ever Platinum Blu-ray release, the studio's first BD-Live title, and full motion picture-in-picture Blu-ray bonus features.

The studio announced the first animated Platinum coming to Blu-ray will be the timeless treasure Sleeping Beauty. Releasing Sleeping Beauty on Blu-ray marks a milestone for the format as these titles are not released until a format has been proven both technologically and in terms of consumer acceptance - and Disney's animated releases in the past have been a major catalyst for any format's growth. Pinocchio's release on VHS and Snow White's release on DVD marked major growth milestones for both of those formats. The Sleeping Beauty Blu-ray Disc release will also include a virtual castle and multi-player activities - both utilizing the BD-Live technology.

"The Platinum titles are the crown jewels of the Disney Studios and we do not take releasing them lightly on any format. The proven Blu-ray technology has allowed us to take our films to new heights, fully utilizing the larger capacity and interactive capabilities for an incredible all-new consumer experience," commented Bob Chapek, President of Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment.

In addition, WDSHE announced the special edition release of the action-adventure blockbuster National Treasure, which will become the studio's first BD-Live Blu-ray Disc title. In addition, the studio will bring two of its treasured family classics to Blu-ray Disc, Disney/Pixar's Finding Nemo and The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, both of which will feature full motion picture-in-picture bonus features.

"The strides that we've made with this format are just the tip of the iceberg and we are confident that consumers will be astounded by the level of entertainment that can only be achieved by using the maximum capacity of the Blu-ray Disc format. All of these wonderful titles will appeal to the ever growing Blu-ray market and we are extremely proud to offer these in the most pristine and robust presentations ever for Disney fans around the globe," continued Chapek.

This exciting slate of Blu-ray Disc releases will begin with The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe in spring 2008, followed by National Treasure in summer of 2008 and culminating with Disney/Pixar's Finding Nemo and Sleeping Beauty in fall 2008.

This is good news, but announcing a title 14 months in advance is kind of silly. That's going to ba a long wait for Nemo, but I think it will look great in high def.

Wow, Disney. I guess I need to go get a BR player right now so I can watch all these Disney movies in high def! Does anyone really think a 4 year old gives a **** about HD?

Wow, Disney. I guess I need to go get a BR player right now so I can watch all these Disney movies in high def! Does anyone really think a 4 year old gives a **** about HD?

Kids don't but parents do and if I am gonna buy Disney classics for them when they watch them, I'd rather just get it over with the BR discs, then by the DVD's then upgrade later. (mind you I don't have kids yet).

It seems Sony/BR is pulling out the big guns with the studios.

Evan

I just read somewhere that Disney and its Fox/FX affiliates are in talk with Lucas about the new live action series-with attendant DVD deals with them on the first 100 episodes...

Me thinks the HDVD vs. Blue Ray wars may soon be at an end...

That's a very narrow view of the world Loki. Disney Movies are like Star Wars/ Star Trek ... those titles we grew up on as kids and still love because of it. And Pixar moves DESERVE to be in high definition ... the way they were made. I know many adults who love Disney movies. You don't need a 4 year old sitting beside you to enjoy Toy Story or The Incredibles. They transcend age.

P.S. If Disney is starting to come out with their family line ... is Miramax that far behind? Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, Grind House, The Crow, Kevin Smith flicks, etc. .... Blu-Ray releases I would buy without hesitation.

It seems Sony/BR is pulling out the big guns with the studios.

Still waiting on Fox, though. After a late start that saw their initial wave of titles arrive only last November, they cancelled all of their upcoming Blu-ray releases several months ago and have yet to get back on board--still nothing planned for the rest of 2007 and beyond. It's been too long and what's the point of having a big studio exclusively back your format if they drop out after a few months?

I hope that they can get themselves together and put those cancelled releases back on the calendar and start making some new announcements again--then we can get back to complaining about their $40 discs with no special features and average picture quality.

:D

Still waiting on Fox, though. After a late start that saw their initial wave of titles arrive only last November, they cancelled all of their upcoming Blu-ray releases several months ago and have yet to get back on board--still nothing planned for the rest of 2007 and beyond. It's been too long and what's the point of having a big studio exclusively back your format if they drop out after a few months?

I hope that they can get themselves together and put those cancelled releases back on the calendar and start making some new announcements again--then we can get back to complaining about their $40 discs with no special features and average picture quality.

:D

I personally don't care one way or the other who win's the HighDef war, I would just like it to be over so I can plan accordingly, I've got an older home theater in my basement that on 4 or 5 years ago set me back close to 10k, unfortunately nothing I have down there runs HDMI.

My Sony 1080p LCD looks great with upconvert in the living room but been holding off on the PS3 or HDDVD player till its time for a winner.

With Disney releasing a lot of their movies on BR only, it seems to the casual observer, thats a big feather in someone's cap.

Evan

That's a very narrow view of the world Loki. Disney Movies are like Star Wars/ Star Trek ... those titles we grew up on as kids and still love because of it. And Pixar moves DESERVE to be in high definition ... the way they were made. I know many adults who love Disney movies. You don't need a 4 year old sitting beside you to enjoy Toy Story or The Incredibles. They transcend age.

P.S. If Disney is starting to come out with their family line ... is Miramax that far behind? Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, Grind House, The Crow, Kevin Smith flicks, etc. .... Blu-Ray releases I would buy without hesitation.

A 2D cartoon doesn't really translate to HD like LOTR or SW does. If people are stupid enough to shell out $40 for movies that are marginally better than copies they can own for about $10, they deserve what they get.

I'm not saying that Narnia isn't awesome in HD but who cares about HD cartoons?

A 2D cartoon doesn't really translate to HD like LOTR or SW does. If people are stupid enough to shell out $40 for movies that are marginally better than copies they can own for about $10, they deserve what they get.

I'm not saying that Narnia isn't awesome in HD but who cares about HD cartoons?

No but Pixar Movies have to be the cleanest thing I have ever seen in HD!!!!!!!!

No but Pixar Movies have to be the cleanest thing I have ever seen in HD!!!!!!!!

I'm trying to think if I've seen any Pixar in HD. I did get TMNT in HD and I will say that it looked pretty damn good.

I'm shopping for a PS3 this month (not a lot coming and a 3 pay period month) but that is contingent on me not getting a house.

I know a lot of people make the exact same statement when comparing Hasbro figures to Sideshow figures, but that doesn't make them right, does it?

And yes, I do think the difference between a "cartoon" on DVD and the same cartoon on Blu-ray (or HD DVD, for that matter) will be as significant as the difference between a Hasbro toy and a Sideshow collectible.

If I don't end up buying a house in the very near future, I will be spoiling myself with a 60GB PS3 this month. I just hope to find one for under $400.

Back