Oscar Isaac cast as Solid Snake in Metal Gear Solid movie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like him a lot as an actor, but I don't know. He's a tad too short. Who are they going to get for Liquid and Naked/BiBo/Venom/Solidus now? Assuming they get that far, anyhow. Still, I'm cautiously excited.

We're going to get an Oscar Issac Solid Snake figure before an OG Solid Snake or even Poe Dameron sixth scale figure.

That makes me sad.

He won't need stealth to hide from his enemies. :lol

An agent to surpass BIG BOSS (the legendary soldier[SUP]TM[/SUP])!

1562888765117.jpg

I don't think it really matters to be honest. I never thought of Snake as imposing, just highly skilled and effective. As long as he looks cool and the costume is accurate, that's all that matters as far as the casting.

Not really feeling this casting as well, I've only seen a few of his movies and he seems like a good actor but unless they're also adapting MGS4 he's way too old to play Solid from MGS1, and looks nothing like him too I hope they at least give him some green eye contacts.
I was hoping they would pick some unknown actor for this but I'm not surprised they went with someone well known, especially with an MGS movie that's been in production limbo for ages.

We're going to get an Oscar Issac Solid Snake figure before an OG Solid Snake or even Poe Dameron sixth scale figure.

That makes me sad.
I wouldn't be so sure...

I think he is a good actor and he is a fan of the series. Overall appearance probably isnt spot on but I can look past it.

I cant think of too many talented actors that could do this role justice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he is a good actor and he is a fan of the series. Overall appearance probably isnt spot on but I can look past it.

I cant think of too many talented actors that could do this role justice.

My biggest problem with this casting is his age, assuming they'll adapt MGS1 or go back and do the first Metal Gear games he is simply way too old for the part. He's 41 now, Solid dies after the events of MGS4 aged 46 so they're gonna have to dye his hair and have him clean shaven the whole movie so he doesn't show his age.
One thing this makes me wonder is if they'll have him play Big Boss as well or Liquid, I always thought they could get kurt Russell for Big Boss but seeing as him and Isaac look nothing alike it's fair to say we'll be seeing someone else filling those shoes, if not Isaac himself.

I wouldn't mind Stallone as Big Boss. He could be the older Oscar Issac, plus considering how much Metal Gear borrowed from the Rambo films, it would be kind of meta.

My biggest problem with this casting is his age, assuming they'll adapt MGS1 or go back and do the first Metal Gear games he is simply way too old for the part. He's 41 now, Solid dies after the events of MGS4 aged 46 so they're gonna have to dye his hair and have him clean shaven the whole movie so he doesn't show his age.
One thing this makes me wonder is if they'll have him play Big Boss as well or Liquid, I always thought they could get kurt Russell for Big Boss but seeing as him and Isaac look nothing alike it's fair to say we'll be seeing someone else filling those shoes, if not Isaac himself.

Kurt Russell would be pretty cool as Big Boss. Especially with the whole Snake Plissken thing.

Almost sounds as bad as the casting for that live action Cowboy Bebop Netflix is allegedly making. God, what a rotten turd that's gonna be.

I hope they keep this really grounded for the true espionage/tactical experience. Oscar Issac is an excellent actor.

I hope they keep this really grounded for the true espionage/tactical experience. Oscar Issac is an excellent actor.

Eh, half the fun of MGS is the weird tech. I know that at this point everything from the Vamp to Psycho-Mantis is NANOMACHINES, SON but a barebones MGS would be pretty much Splinter Cell. I wouldn't mind if they took out all the Japanese humor and made it more serious though. Otacon pissing his pants and going "this is just like my Japanese Animes" couldn't really work in film. Or Liquid/Ocelot screaming "I LIVE ON- THROUGH THIS ARM". Come on now... Who knows if they'll even go past MGS1 (if that happens). 3 is fairly easy to do. 2 is unfilmable unless you strip down the entire meaning and just make it an action movie. People say Blood Meridian is unfilmable, but I never agreed; I think it's feasible. But MGS2 will lose its core point if you turn it into a movie. Maybe they could lean into a "unreliable narrator" sort of approach to give a nod to its original device.

Eh, half the fun of MGS is the weird tech. I know that at this point everything from the Vamp to Psycho-Mantis is NANOMACHINES, SON but a barebones MGS would be pretty much Splinter Cell. I wouldn't mind if they took out all the Japanese humor and made it more serious though. Otacon pissing his pants and going "this is just like my Japanese Animes" couldn't really work in film. Or Liquid/Ocelot screaming "I LIVE ON- THROUGH THIS ARM". Come on now... Who knows if they'll even go past MGS1 (if that happens). 3 is fairly easy to do. 2 is unfilmable unless you strip down the entire meaning and just make it an action movie. People say Blood Meridian is unfilmable, but I never agreed; I think it's feasible. But MGS2 will lose its core point if you turn it into a movie. Maybe they could lean into a "unreliable narrator" sort of approach to give a nod to its original device.

I think incorporating the nanomachines would be a good idea...it added a mystical, magical element to all of the characters.

I agree with you that the story elements got whacky and crazy. I think Kojima really started losing it around MGS3. Super-soldiers everywhere, multiple Metal Gears or Metal Gear prototypes, re-writing the mythos again and again...and also making it EXTREMELY convoluted...which seems to be a pattern of Japanese game-makers. A fine example is the FINAL FANTASY franchise, which Square Enix has complicated and added more to almost every single entry. Kingdom Hearts is also a storied mess.

I picture Kojima kind of like George Lucas. He can conceive good ideas and get the ball rolling...but he needs other people rein in his crazier ideas and polish up his work.

I'm sure Isaac will do fine. Good actor and I enjoy him in all his roles, but not my pick for Snake.

I think incorporating the nanomachines would be a good idea...it added a mystical, magical element to all of the characters.

I agree with you that the story elements got whacky and crazy. I think Kojima really started losing it around MGS3. Super-soldiers everywhere, multiple Metal Gears or Metal Gear prototypes, re-writing the mythos again and again...and also making it EXTREMELY convoluted...which seems to be a pattern of Japanese game-makers. A fine example is the FINAL FANTASY franchise, which Square Enix has complicated and added more to almost every single entry. Kingdom Hearts is also a storied mess.

I picture Kojima kind of like George Lucas. He can conceive good ideas and get the ball rolling...but he needs other people rein in his crazier ideas and polish up his work.

I'm sure Isaac will do fine. Good actor and I enjoy him in all his roles, but not my pick for Snake.

Pretty much, yeah. MGS became too convulted and eventually got no real closure. I still love it, but more as an "idea" rather than as something concrete. It might just be a cultural thing, but for me the overtly Japanese humor and tropes hurt the core story.

Pretty much, yeah. MGS became too convulted and eventually got no real closure. I still love it, but more as an "idea" rather than as something concrete. It might just be a cultural thing, but for me the overtly Japanese humor and tropes hurt the core story.

MGS was supposed to end at MGS2 and it shows, that game had an intentional open ended ending which was fitting for the series. Then fan pressure and even death treats kept Kojma from moving on from the series and he was forced to make sequel after sequel. Personally I subscribe to the original idea and pretend any game after MGS2 was just a bad dream, even the almighty MGS3 (it's redundant and the cutscenes are too cheesy for me).

I still can't believe fans keep wanting more MGS when the series has run it's course decades ago, there's nothing meaningful to say and even Kojima knows that and just rolls with it, and this movie seems to be heading to that fan service heavy direction with the director being super attentive towards canonociy and superficial details that MGS2 clearly stated is not really important compared to the core subtext of the plot.

Back