My SS points are about to expire ?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack00

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey guys, so 2 days ago I received an email from sideshow saying that my points are about to expire, I have 55$ in the balance. Statues have become unaffordable for me in the past couple of years so I never could use those points for anything. Im just wondering if there is a way to maybe get those points back in anyway possible, if something like this ever happened to you, let me know, thanks guys!

Yup, had the exact same thing happen to me, but also from 2 days ago and I also have around $55 in points but have also basically stopped collecting, its all just getting too expensive.

I looked at seeing if there was anything that I would like for around the cost of the rewards points I have and I found something that I wouldn't mind and the rewards points basically covered it. But then the cost of postage ended up meaning I was going to pay basically as much as I was going to save by using the reward points.

My long term thought was to try and get a few more points during special events and promotions (tho that has turned out to be somewhat harder lately) and maybe build up a fairly larger amount to then use it all on something that I would really like. I figured this would work, as the points didn't expire, but it seems they now do, I suspect this is a new policy, as it says they now expire after 2 years of no activity and it was at least the middle of 2016 since I last got anything from Sideshow or anything at all for that matter.

The same thing happened to me with my Weta Dollars earlier in the year, so I'm really taking this as a sign to just let it all go, thinking its time unsubscribed from the newsletters as well, little point in getting a Sideshow email everyday, if all I'm going to do is delete it.

Did they give you a timeframe when you need to use them up by? When was the last time you purchased something? What does reward points not cover (taxes, shipping)?

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

Did they give you a timeframe when you need to use them up by? When was the last time you purchased something? What does reward points not cover (taxes, shipping)?

The rewards points act as discount so if the price is $0, then tax should be $0 as well.

Are you in the US? They have a bunch of items with free US shipping (far fewer with free global shipping). You could try checking items $55 and under with free shipping. If not for yourself, then maybe something you could use as a gift.

Sideshow Free Shipping

Unfortunatly im in Canada. Guess its 55$ i'll never get to use...

Never got an email saying my reward points were going to expire. Didn't even realize they expire.

Yeah, they want you to make a purchase at least every two years. I haven't bought anything since the exchange rate tanked, and with only ten bucks in there it's not worth my while to maintain a balance.

The rewards points act as discount so if the price is $0, then tax should be $0 as well.

Yeah, that's nice in theory, but I'm not totally sure it works out that way. You may not have paid for it, but chances are it still has a declared value on the customs form, likely around what it would have costed if you did pay for it in full. Then all the taxes/duties gets applied to that, as well as to the postage cost in my case.

Since I'm in Australia, free global shipping would be the only option, but then the cheapest item is still like $180 for something I'd never want and that assumes one can use rewards points on items that already have some sort of discount. From memory the email said one only had a week or two to use them before they expired, so yeah basically points lost.

Yeah, that's nice in theory, but I'm not totally sure it works out that way. You may not have paid for it, but chances are it still has a declared value on the customs form, likely around what it would have costed if you did pay for it in full. Then all the taxes/duties gets applied to that, as well as to the postage cost in my case.

Since I'm in Australia, free global shipping would be the only option, but then the cheapest item is still like $180 for something I'd never want and that assumes one can use rewards points on items that already have some sort of discount. From memory the email said one only had a week or two to use them before they expired, so yeah basically points lost.
I live in the US so those aren't considerations for me. Besides, I recall reading up on US customs duties before ordering a Hot Toys figure from Hong Kong and interestingly enough, it seems items are exempt below a certain threshold (iirc, US $1000 or might be higher).

Laws are obviously different depending on region/country so whether one is better off using their RP or just letting them expire would vary.

For me though, definitely worth using up the points on free items with free shipping.

I don't think you can combine RP with other offers. I've never tried it, so I could be wrong.

I don't think you can combine RP with other offers. I've never tried it, so I could be wrong.

You can't combine RP with promo codes but free shipping offers generally don't require a promo code anyway.

Hey guys, so 2 days ago I received an email from sideshow saying that my points are about to expire, I have 55$ in the balance. Statues have become unaffordable for me in the past couple of years so I never could use those points for anything. Im just wondering if there is a way to maybe get those points back in anyway possible, if something like this ever happened to you, let me know, thanks guys!

You should ask them via the chat. They always have great customer service so my expectation is that they'll work with you

Yeah, that's nice in theory, but I'm not totally sure it works out that way. You may not have paid for it, but chances are it still has a declared value on the customs form

Unfortunately they do declare it as if you had paid the full price for it, yes.

Sideshow changed this last year. You can now use a promo code with reward points.

Really? If so, they haven't updated their help section to reflect this change.

https://www.sideshow.com/why-sideshow/sideshow-rewards/

Can I combine Rewards with other discounts?
A. Sideshow Rewards cannot be combined with any other site discounts, coupons, Promo Codes, shipping discounts, even if checkout allows it. Read complete details on Sideshow Rewards Terms and Conditions.

I think if your account is active (you are buying things) they will never expire.

Its 24 months but it is any rewards points earning activity, which can also mean putting in a promo code. They are a lot more limited with those now but the holidays are when they are out there

If there is no account activity or points from any source posted to a Sideshow Rewards Points Program member’s account for two consecutive years (24 months), the account is subject to closure and termination, including forfeiture of all accrued points.

https://sideshow.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/212276758-Sideshow-Rewards-Terms

I’m pretty sure that when Sideshow sends products to Australia, they declare the net of reward points cost, and GST (not including customs) gets applied to the net of cost plus delivery fees.

Back