Funko producing Blade Runner (1982) Pop figures - has licensing been sorted out?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Clown

King of the Wicker People
Reaction score
As the title says, Funko just put Pop figures based on the first Blade Runner up for preorder. This is super interesting, as I've been under the impression that merchandising hasn't been allowed for it?

0d476b04-a253-464d-b637-86eab5d757be.jpg

a29bdc1e-5c64-4783-bba7-b71b1bda7e59.jpg

2dd69b95-8681-4e58-8aee-3cf9cbc3ff68.jpg

68f48d92-ee68-40c9-9d1e-0beca70e301b.jpg

Maybe that Sideshow Deckard could possibly be released? I'd love to see NECA produce some 7" figures too.

Funko Pap more like.

But it would seem to offer hope. If you can license the movie it's just a matter of then licensing the actors....isn't it?

I would imagine. Harrison Ford probably wouldn’t be too big of an issue, I mean NECA already got his likeness for 2049. I’m not sure about the other actors though, or Rutger Hauer’s estate.

I saw this and thought the same thing, hopefully they got it figured out and we will be seeing some Blade Runner figures soon.

I'd buy every character in every outfit from every company. I'd even buy animated figures, as long as it's not disproportionate like these Funkos or Hot Toys equivalent.

As the title says, Funko just put Pop figures based on the first Blade Runner up for preorder. This is super interesting, as I've been under the impression that merchandising hasn't been allowed for it?

No, it's not that licensing was not allowed. It's that the likenesses were never included in the licensing.

Pops can do whatever they want since the faces never look like the actors.

No, it's not that licensing was not allowed. It's that the likenesses were never included in the licensing.

Pops can do whatever they want since the faces never look like the actors.

I think it was more than that otherwise there would have been figures from NECA by now. They have shown great willingness to get actor likeness rights on older movies so if that were the only issue they'd have done figures from the original movie back when they were doing 2049.

I think it was more than that otherwise there would have been figures from NECA by now. They have shown great willingness to get actor likeness rights on older movies so if that were the only issue they'd have done figures from the original movie back when they were doing 2049.

Isn't that the point? If NECA could've done them, they would've.

They're willing to go after the actors, but if the actors say 'No', there's nothing NECA can do. Presumably they got the 2049 figure to Harrison or his people for approval. I'd bet dollars to donuts they sent an OG Deckard proto along with the 2049 just to see if he was willing to sign off.

But I'm sure his 2049 contract aid he was required to participate in merchandising, whereas the OG contract had no such clause. And he's just one of those old fuddy-duddies who doesn't see the point in toys.

Funko has done a ton of Pops for "un-licensable' properties like GBU, Die Hard and all those other 1/6 wishlist items, and it's all because Pops don't need likenesses.

Is someone able to ask Neca about this on Twitter? This might be a very recent development - and Neca usually drags their feet on a lot of things.

Isn't that the point? If NECA could've done them, they would've.

They're willing to go after the actors, but if the actors say 'No', there's nothing NECA can do. Presumably they got the 2049 figure to Harrison or his people for approval. I'd bet dollars to donuts they sent an OG Deckard proto along with the 2049 just to see if he was willing to sign off.

But I'm sure his 2049 contract aid he was required to participate in merchandising, whereas the OG contract had no such clause. And he's just one of those old fuddy-duddies who doesn't see the point in toys.

Funko has done a ton of Pops for "un-licensable' properties like GBU, Die Hard and all those other 1/6 wishlist items, and it's all because Pops don't need likenesses.

I just never got the impression from Randy's replies to requests on twitter that it was actor likeness rights barring them from doing the original film but I could be wrong. I believe he only said things like ''tried but they aren't licensing it''. When it comes to other movies he'll say things like ''no likeness rights'' so that's why I think there's a difference there.

As for Ford not seeing the point in toys - he probably thinks we're weird as grown men for wanting toys but considering he's part of Star Wars and Indiana Jones and has had so many action figures made of him over the years I don't know why he'd bother to say no just because he could. But of course I don't know the man.

Funko Pop and Reaction Pulp Fiction figures came out ages ago. Maybe almost a decade.

Still no actual decent licensed figures though. Just weird ugly bootleg looking crap and then decent looking stuff that really was bootlegs.

I'm still bitter as hell about the canceled DST figures.

As for Blade Runner....I thought the "issues" whatever they were, had been settled years ago cause I have several official iterations of the Spinner.

My guess is that either nobody wants to take a chance on the human characters or it's straight up likeness rights, which we know isn't the case with Ford. Sheesh...you'd think at least Deckard and Batty would be a no-brainer.

Then I wonder what happened with this.

1b030246164868037ff142b46168d4ac.jpg

I know he's not perfect, but I'd like a decent Deckard in my collection without having to drop at least a grand.

Supermad toys rumoured younger Deckard might happen which should offer a decent and economical alternative to the more expensive customs. Their 1/6 Deckard blaster which came with the Hunter K figure is fantastic.

Was wondering the same thing. Maybe with some licences they just think 1/6 figures won't sell in enough quantity. Like Fury Road...

IMG_1413_530x@2x.JPG

Randy from Neca seemed to be a big fan of Fury Road and has stated multiple times that they would like to do Fury Road but can't because of George Miller. There was also Chronicle Collectibles who said they wanted to do it too but there was the George Miller vs Warner Bros Lawsuit going on for a long time.

Randy was asked about how was Funko able to make Pops of it and he answered that they didn't have to acquire likeness rights.

I think the main reason we didn't get any official 1/6 figures is because of the lawsuit.

I'll give it a go but if he replies to me at all I'd be surprised to get positive news on the matter. It'd probably be something he'd want to keep quiet until he can surprise everyone with one day.

Back