1/6 Pealing undersuit on First Order Trooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth Fok

Super Freak
Reaction score
Picked up a new first order stormtrooper and noticed that there was quite a bit of pealing on the black undersuit. Was quite mad but removed the armor and pealed the rest off which exposed the black fabric. Turned out better than I expected.

I?m guessing heat causes this damage?

51210d504602fe742ab20143d1c36390.jpg

6eb6896849f6ae9ade4ec5632ba32dd6.jpg

I really need to unload the TFA HT I bought immediately. Who cares how much is lost, any money back is a net gain at this point.

HT + Pleather = disaster.

It's the reason I'm a bit worried about that pleather lining on Lando's cape. HT pleather peels faster than any pleather I've seen - even Hasbro pleather lasts 10-15 years without starting to peel.

Interesting that companies like DID have started to use real leather for stuff like boots and belts - you have to wonder why HT can't do that. Paying $200+ for a figure only to have the pleather peeling 5 years later just isn't cool.

Fortunately for this trooper it was an easy fix and the black exposed fabric looks quite nice.

I have other figures such as the Vader?s and DX13 Terminator. I?ve had those for years and my figures are stored in a cool room with no direct sunlight. For now no issues so far.

This figure that I brought online must have been stored somewhere hot. It was brand new as all the internal packaging and plastic protection was in place. Definitely will be more selective now on these kind of figures. No more first order troopers for me

7c617ed248c85dfa8ee15ab371136032.jpg

Where geographically are they located?

I love in a warm to temperate area and have a lot of FO troopers but they’re doing fine last I checked.

That will do it. Hong Kong can get very hot and humid.

You're likely correct that storage conditions affected it. I don't think it helps to have these figures stored in box in hot and humid conditions. Letting them out to breathe helps. But in or out of box, Hot Toys pleather does worst in South and Southeast Asia.

I've bought FO Troopers that were sitting around for a long time from places like Sideshow and BBTS, and no issues.

They've held up pretty well over time. Better than I thought they'd do.

Unfortunately Hot Toys uses low quality pleather/faux leather and rubber for their collectibles. And the pleather and rubber will rot faster in hot humid environments, but in the end they will rot anyway in a few years. People tried using various things to protect them thus to last longer like Armorall (seems it is not recommended), silicone spray (I used it and no issues) and 303 Aerospace Protectant.

Example of HT figures with damage:

Pleather damage Hot Toys figs.jpg Pleather damage Starlord.jpg Pleather damage Terminator Arnold.jpg Pleather damage Hot Toys quarter scale Vader.jpg Rubber damage Robocop ED-209.jpg

Thats what you get for buying toys from Asia. They are laying in boxes for ages, in bad air conditions, just waiting to get out and start to disintegrate :D

Unfortunately Hot Toys uses low quality pleather/faux leather and rubber for their collectibles. And the pleather and rubber will rot faster in hot humid environments, but in the end they will rot anyway in a few years. People tried using various things to protect them thus to last longer like Armorall (seems it is not recommended), silicone spray (I used it and no issues) and 303 Aerospace Protectant.

Example of HT figures with damage:

View attachment 495976 View attachment 495977 View attachment 495978 View attachment 495979 View attachment 495980

Wow that?s pretty bad. I?ve had the Crow Figure and DX13 since they were first released and so far no damage yet. HT needs to step their game up and I?m now going to be a lot more selective in what I buy now.

WHOA! I'm not surprised at the Crow or Logan, or even the RoboCop thing, since those are fairly older. But Star Lord and the Vaders?! That's crazy! And to the extent of the rot too! It's not just a little or just at some of the creases--it's everything!

So far for me, it's only been Cap's FA shield that has its paint flaking, and Sideshow's Leia as Boushh's boots were beginning to break down and have that sticky film on it. I've since sold Leia though. But no leather problems (((knock on wood))).

The truth is, as long time collectors know, the problem with the leather (pleather) is to due with several factors.

1. Humidity and Heat
2. Handling
3. Lighting

Low humidity and higher temps , handling with acid hands, and certain lighting can deteriorate the material used in the rubber and leather used in the figures.

I personally own Eric Draven , Terminator, Alien, and many troopers. Not a single one shows any degradation on the leather at all. Most are at least 5 years old on display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WHOA! I'm not surprised at the Crow or Logan, or even the RoboCop thing, since those are fairly older. But Star Lord and the Vaders?! That's crazy! And to the extent of the rot too! It's not just a little or just at some of the creases--it's everything!

So far for me, it's only been Cap's FA shield that has its paint flaking, and Sideshow's Leia as Boushh's boots were beginning to break down and have that sticky film on it. I've since sold Leia though. But no leather problems (((knock on wood))).

For the record that Eric Draven pic show up from time to time, it?s obvious that figure was not treated well.

The amount of dust on the shirt and shoes shows it was not taken care of at all.

The truth is, as long time collectors know, the problem with the leather (pleather) is to due with several factors.

1. Humidity and Heat
2. Handling
3. Lighting

Low humidity and higher temps , handling with acid hands, and certain lighting can deteriorate the material used in the rubber and leather used in the figures.

I personally own Eric Draven , Terminator, Alien, and many troopers. Not a single one shows any degradation on the leather at all. Most are at least 5 years old on display.

Just to be clear on this: genuine leather is not the same thing with pleather/faux leather.

Back