Treating pleather on figures to prevent cracking and peeling?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend products or treatment methods to prevent pleather from cracking or peeling on figures?

Ive seen a few vids on YouTube recommending certain products but Ive been hesitant to use them because a lot of those products have cleaners in them. Usually cleaners have acids or peroxides in them which I know isnt good for the material long term.

So far the best method for me is to avoid sunlight and touching with barehands. I use nitrile gloves when handling my figures with pleather on them.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For my figures with rubber and pleather/faux leather suits I've used silicone spray. More recently I acquired Aerospace 303 protectant and used it on my Vader figures. We all know Hot Toys uses low quality pleather and rubber for their figures, Sideshow ones seem to be a bit better. But in the end most pleather and rubber will degrade, especially if living in a hot and humid region. I'm thinking of buying a full leather suit for the 1/4 Hot Toys Vader in the future, just to be sure

The 303 Aerospace covers every material that HT produces, don't get other brands that cures real leather. It'll make the material deteriorate.

71kE4USLKkL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

i have used Beewax, Rubber protectors (Tire shine), Mink Oil, Shoe shines. I can say Rubber Protector seems to work better because it creates a clear layer on the surface. Mink Oil may change the pleather color and turn them darker, while Beewax seems to stay wet but i guess as long you don't handle it often it's ok.

IMO you can only prolong the shelf life of the pleathers, don't expect them to be as durable as car seats and motorcycle seats those are made from much thicker and rubbery pleather.

Though some here claims their pleather lasted for decades without any treatment.

Rule of thumb is no UV, no dust, not too dry, not too humid, no oily fingers.

Back