1/6 Captain America shield flaking - how do i repaint?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMC117

Super Freak
Reaction score
I have the first avenger Cap and his shield has been flaking for as long as I can remember, and it's so bad now that I want to fix it. I haven't done anything to it yet. So, how do I get the rest of the paint off? What kind of paint do I use to repaint? And do I put anything else on it to make sure my paint doesn't flake off?

Thank you! IMG_20200830_133232.jpg

Nail polish remover will get the rest of the paint off. I have one i stripped the paint off to have a protoype version. I used a clear dullcoat to preserve a shield before it started flaking and it actually looks more like the movie version than how shiny the original hot toys was. I haven't repainted one but the tamiya paints sealed with a clear coat was what most people used.

I've been looking into replacing mine for a while, but the ones on ebay have some cheapy elastic instead of the "leather" straps. This one from Toyswonderland and Onesixthkit seem to have the leather straps on the back, which is very good.

Bocephus, do you have one of these shields? How is the quality?

These shields are up for PO and don't come out until Q4 2020.

I do have one of their EG broken shields and it looks great. It's pretty heavy, the straps are made of leather, and have the correct orientation.

IMG_0006.jpgIMG_0008.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 101
Has anyone ordered from here? How do the color letters relate to the shield types? Because that's horribly set up.

I've ordered from toyswonderland about 5 times, pretty amazing service and prices so far. Currently with covid19 there is a long delay if you choose the cheapest shipping method though. You have a fee different shipping options which are faster.

I've ordered from toyswonderland about 5 times, pretty amazing service and prices so far. Currently with covid19 there is a long delay if you choose the cheapest shipping method though. You have a fee different shipping options which are faster.
I actually just ordered something from them. I've ordered quite a few things from overseas recently, and their "free" shipping policy has been by far the worst. Eventually it got to me, but I wasn't impressed, based strictly on my experiences with other retailers (and ebay shippers.) It is what it is though.

Back