GOOD SMILE COMPANY Hagane Works RoboCop and MODEROID ED-209

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alice

Super Freak
Reaction score
New Robo and ED-209 figures coming February 2021. Pre-orders open from Aug27 to Sept30. Not too keen on the Robo, but that ED model kit has my eye. Looks to be a bit more detailed than the Neca ED, and for a comparable price.

https://www.goodsmile.info/ja/product/9955/HAGANE+WORKS+%E3%83%AD%E3%83%9C%E3%82%B3%E3%83%83%E3%83%97.html

https://www.goodsmile.info/ja/product/9954/MODEROID+ED+209.html

EgYnbqSUMAIWbUC.jpg

I can't say I was crying out for more Robocop figures between Enterbay, Hot Toys, NECA, Mafex and HIYA Toys. That said these look good, particularly ED. Is anyone ever gonna make Cain though?

Looks to be about 1/12 scale, my Japanese is poor but I believe the heights are 17cms and 20cms respectively. Looks decent, especially ED.

I was ready to freak out and buy more Omni Consumer Products, but honestly....that Robo doesn't hold a candle to the MAFEX. It may have diecast parts, which are nice, but the sculpt and finish on MAFEX blow it outta the water.

ED looks good, but there's a reason I still have an unpainted Horizon ED 209 vinyl kit. I suck at models. Looks like I'll just stick with NECA, unless they actually cast all the parts in color and it'll look that good without painting. (It won't.)

Pretty sure I read somewhere the parts are prepainted. Just the case of snapping the parts together.

3DD4C383-E539-4BAA-9582-CF30B6F8A37E.jpg

Parts are cast in solid colours, yes, but, if you want it to not look like plastic, you're still gonna have to do some painting, panel lining, etc..

would be difficult to achieve the shine for robocop if it doesn't come painted in silver.

Here's a pic from a review on amazon japan.

71LIFcijsGL._SL1600_.jpg

Out of the box.....looks like crap, unfortunately. Looks almost exactly like the NECA version, but before they added all the paint and over-sprays.

Could be fun for those of you that like painting, but anyone that was looking for a more poseable alternative to NECA.....this ain't it.

Stock was running low on BBTS so I just said **** it and ordered the Robocop. ED is a no-go because he's a flat packed unassembled model kit and from what I can see really does need to be painted, neither of which I'd be good at.

But this really should be me done with Robocop. I'll have got everything except Hiya Toys (those look crappy) - I have Enterbay, Hot Toys, Mafex, McFarlane, NECA and now this.

If no one's gonna make Clarence Boddicker and his gang then Robocop is as well served in merchandise as it's ever going to be at this point. I've gotta think the difficulty in even attaining the main star's likeness rights is why companies haven't pursued any other characters from the movie.

Last edited:
I agree that the Hiya toys look rather off-model and fragile, and I have zero interest in 1/18 scale toys, but they seem to be the only company that's ever going to attempt an articulated RoboCain.

hiya-robocain.jpg

I hate that it's so tiny and won't scale with a damn thing I own, but I might have to get it cause it might be our only chance at a RoboCop 2 that can move.

Of course, how WELL it can move remains to be seen. Also, they tend to charge an awful lot for such small figures.

I was about to ask if that was up for preorder already and I hadn't seen it or had forgotten about it - just got listed on BBTS in the last few minutes.

I did buy HIYA's ED-209 - which is pretty decent - and I have their BD ED on preorder so I guess I'll preorder Cain.

I agree that the Hiya toys look rather off-model and fragile, and I have zero interest in 1/18 scale toys, but they seem to be the only company that's ever going to attempt an articulated RoboCain.

View attachment 534911

I hate that it's so tiny and won't scale with a damn thing I own, but I might have to get it cause it might be our only chance at a RoboCop 2 that can move.

Of course, how WELL it can move remains to be seen. Also, they tend to charge an awful lot for such small figures.
OH YES OH YES! i haven't even heard about it, where can i buy it???
Kotobukiya Cain is the only one i've ever hd, will gladly get an articulated one. or two. or three.

yes, thank you, they will likely charge no more than $50 for shipping, which i'm accustomed to.
though i don't see much articulation on those photos... and left extra arm is in a very wrong position, as well as hips.
i wonder if i should wait for more photos.
edit: they charge only about $25! nice.
arm machine gun is sooooo bad. even Kotobukiya had it done much better.

Last edited:
It says it's gonna be fully articulated, so I'm assuming the static shots are just an early prototype or even just a render.

Unfortunately, I personally can't justify buying a figure that small for $50 if its not gonna scale with anything in my collection.

I still have the old Kotobukiya figure and at least there's a tiny RoboCop that's in scale with it.

I've never understood why NECA never made this guy. I'd have been fine with it having very limited articulation as long as it was appropriately scaled. Maybe it's a licensing issue, like Peter Weller's face.

I wouldn't say licensing is an issue, more that toy companies just haven't had faith that Cain will be a big enough seller to warrant the tooling and engineering. Robocop 2 lags behind the first film in popularity. 3 gets more merchandise because the gun-arm and the jetpack are easy additions to Robocop himself.

the articulation on the Good Smile ED-209 looks unreal. I just picked up the Reaction Super7 ED-209 vs Kinney, yesterday i got the Hiya ED-209, cute little figure. i think im also gonna get the Good Smile ED-209, because the articulation looks to be off the charts. That new Hiya CAIN is on my radar as well, but his legs look very short.

great time to be a RoboCop & ED-209 figure collector. GO ROBO

Back