Statue What do collectctors think about statue or figure collecting today

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darthblitzwing

Super Freak
Reaction score
wanted to know what collectors think

collected statues for 14 years I loved it when I started getting PFs on sale at $200.00. SSC Star Wars dioramas, PFS, GG SW maquettes, MR Props and models
ship almost any PF coast to coast for $10.00 $20.00
could resell for at least what you paid, make money on many
no internet taxes

Now
PFs are $550.00 to $750.00. Use to get GG maquettes for $40.00 to $50.00. now that scale is almost $200.00
shipping has gone many X. just had to ship 1 pound statue part and was $17.00 for 200 miles
BBTS started collecting taxes 2 years ago, SSC started this year
resell is a joke now, you are glad when you get 1/2 what you paid.

I am just about out myself, barley buy a statue a year when I use to get 10-15. Wont stay in too much longer. To stay this long I did sell a bunch of statues, and many more going to sell then just get a statue here and there, now I just collect PCS Transformers, IA bailed on their TF license, also liked getting PCS G.I. Joes, but I think they are through with that line

On top of it been cheated out $2,000 from when I started collecting

Last edited:
That pretty much sums it up. The cost and scales now are just getting ridiculous. I've been collecting for a long time (I'll always have an interest until I truly don't) but I am becoming less and less interested in most offerings at 1/4 scale and up. I've sold things that I told myself I'd really like to keep but never regretted the sale or thought much about them after. I am looking more at sixth scale stuff both figures and statues.

were several of these threads on SF about what collectors think about collecting. so what does anyone think obout collecting now here

For 14 years I loved it when I started getting PFs on sale at $200.00. SSC Star Wars dioramas, PFS, GG SW maquetets, MR props
ship almost a PF for $10.00 $20.00 coast to coast
could resell for at least what you paid
no internet taxes

Now
PFs are $550.00 to $750.00
shipping is gone many X. just had to ship 1 pound statue part and was $17.00 for 200 miles
BBTS started collecting taxes 2 years ago, SSC started this year
resell is a joke now, you are glad when you get 1/2 what you paid.

I am just about out myself, barley buy a statue a year when I use to get 10-15. Wont stay in too much longer. To stay this long I did sell a bunch of statues, and many more going to sell then just get a statue here and there, now I just collect PCS Transformers, IA bailed on theer TF license, also liked getting PCS G.I. Joes, but I think they are through with that line

I honestly don't buy statues anymore and sold most of the ones I have. Still kept my Blitzway statues 'cause Sideshow can't compare. I rarely buy Sideshow anymore as they killed lines that I absolutely love, F13 and their licensed horror lines like Universal Monsters, GI JOE sixth scale, etc. I just don't have a reason to buy from Sideshow anymore. If they started making Joes again, I would buy in a heartbeat. Instead, Hasbro will be getting my money with the beautiful classified Joe series. I do plan on buying one final Sideshow DC PF but am waiting to see how the production turns out before I bite.

I think certain people at Sideshow killed the market with over-inflated production numbers and you can see how the hobby has MASSIVELY died down. Years ago, hundreds of members would be on here daily and now some threads don't have responses for days to weeks at a time. The fact that Sideshow mostly does distribution now speaks volumes. People aren't buying PFs and statues like they used.

For now, I'll be buying sixth scale here and there but Universal Monsters is at Trick or Treat Studios (as is Halloween sixth scale) and Hasbro is doing 6 inch Joes, so that's where I'm taking my money. Here's hoping Blitzway or Hot Toys gets in to horror for Freddy and Jason. It was fun collecting Sideshow while it lasted. I still love my Sideshow Joes and will keep them always if I can. BTW PCS still has the Joe line and are now making smaller statues too so check that out! Good size, good price I'm sure :pray::)

Last edited:
I rarely buy sideshow or HT these days and if I do, I try to get a used one at a discount. I'm done over paying right off the bat when I know I'll need to put some additional work on the figure to bring it up to par. I enjoy customizing but not when the starting price is $250+ b/c of tax and shipping. So, now I just lurk eBay for a full figure/statue that I want that someone else is trying to let go of fast enough that they discount the heck out of it. Sadly for other ppl but good for me, the coronavirus has helped me get figures I've wanted at a discount like a few relatively old sideshow 1/6 figures. But I rarely just go full force and PO everything that looks shiny these days like I used to. Just too expensive for what you're getting.

BETTER TODAY
Craftsmanship is way up.

WORSE TODAY
Prices are way up.
Online sales tax.
Shipping increases.
Tons of easy money repeat characters instead of complete lines.
$2k 1/3rds (He?s more base than figure now).

I still have a few more must-haves before I?m out but I really miss completing a line rather than dropping $2k on a single centerpiece. After all, collecting collections is what makes me a happy collector.

A lot has already been said. I rarely buy statues as the prices are ridiculously insane (none of this stuff is “High Art”, and to charge $500-800 for a crap comic book or movie character is just gross; especially when you consider that if one died unexpectedly, and someone else had to sell off your collection — the seller would be lucky to get $20 for most of this junk — the average human isn’t going to be as dumb as we are to buy this stuff at hundreds of dollars). Hot Toys, Sideshow, and some of the other companies are pricing me out of collecting 1/6th — not that I can’t afford them, but that the Cost vs Value just isn’t there. There is NO way the cost to manufacture a HT figure (with licensing, labor, materials, etc.) justifies the price tag. Smaller companies (like Asmus), and unlicensed manufacturers are getting the bulk of my attention, as the prices are mostly below $200, and they give you far more bang for your buck.

I only collect Weta statues, and they seem to be doing well. In the last couple of years they have looked for sell-outs during pre-order and have achieved it, and those statues are worth even more on the secondary market now - Mouth of Sauron, Treebeard, Aragorn, Minas Morgul etc...

I started collecting Bowen in 1999 and loved it. I enjoyed Sideshow very much in the earlier Marvel days, but started to really lose interest with recycling of characters, waiting forever to see some of my favorites (still waiting for a great Shazam/Black Adam) and ever increasing prices/edition sizes. I was excited by Prime 1 1/3 scale and bought the Arkham Knight Ex. when it first came out. I haven't bought anything since (the Hush Superman looks awesome, though) and my interest in statues has all but gone when I see the MSRP and crazy shipping and duties, being in Canada. I never bought with the intention of making money, but just feel the thrill of ownership I used to get from new pieces is no longer there for the asking prices. The fact that I can comfortably afford to continue collecting doesn't seem to matter. It's sad because I used to love collecting. I am just glad I have other hobbies to enjoy every day and will have to be content with whatever is left on my shelves. Best wishes to those still in the hobby.

Ryan

I was a heavy collector about 14 years ago during sideshows prime, before the breakout of all these other companies. It took me years to break the habit of being a completist but I was able to. I finally got to the point where I was only buying what I liked whether I knew the character or not, if I felt something towards a statue I would buy it. Now a days I can definitely see a shift in the collecting community. As someone else here mentioned, the boards are not as busy as they once were and to me it does seem like the hobby is dying or at least not as popular as it once was. The cost of statues now as opposed to years ago determines the popularity of the hobby now. I understand cost is different now as it was back then, everything goes up. I still like what is coming out every now and then but it has been awhile since I bought anything and the price has mostly everything to do with it. I still have a very small collection but I'm thinking about selling it to fund a different hobby.
I am proud to say I lived and enjoyed sideshow, and the forums, in its prime. From contests and giveaways to spooktacular and decent prices, back in the days were freaking awesome! Hell I even won a couple of times in the early days of spooktacular. The threads were constantly moving and I remember spending most of my time on here. Times and interests for me have changed, but ........to the good old days :duff

I've been a collector in general for decades now, with being able to purchase more higher end collectibles as of late. I've spent the last 3 years getting Hot Toys but now am able to focus more on what I've always wanted, statues.

The costs are a lot higher these days for 1/4 scale, but the quality also has increased. For me the "worst" part now is the sales tax and shipping cost. This to me is what really is killing the collectability of this sale. To me, 500-600 is the top range for PFs, but we can see already that SSC is already getting into the 600-700 range. If they can't get better shipping options, because I dont think they can do anything about taxes, then people will buy less and less.

Too expensive nowadays! As a result, I find myself being very picky now. If a piece doesn't meet my expectations, then its a pass.

The prices have just gone up far too quickly over the last 5 years in particular. When I started collecting in 2012 a HT figure was $269 shipped in Australia. Today it is close to a $200 increase. Kust3 in the last year the price has increased by $100. It certainly means you need to choose carefully what lines you wish to collect.

As for statues I only pick the rare statue and that is predominantly something that is not represented well in a 1/6 scale figure. I have the old Buffy Maquettes and Toothless from Sideshow. I currently have 2 statues on order now, but they are very rare purchases for me.

I would imagine the cost of the hobby has driven a lot of collectors out. They have probably moved onto cheaper options that have surfaced over the years.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Been Collecting since 1998 with the original bowen daredevil. before that mcfarland etc... not to mirror what has already been said, but despite the prices and the editor sizes and so on. my biggest problem is the art direction SS has taken the PFs used to be incredible (not to mention much cheaper) but the poses and the sculpts the fabric. almost everything i have seen form them the passed couple of years the poses are so off and unrealistic. I haven't bought a PF in over 4 years do to this fact. I have a couple life-size pieces i will not ever part with but as far as statues i have been putting my money other companies such as queen studios, prime one and iron studios to name a few. not to mention the 1/6 SS pieces look completely off to me as well. these are just mu opinions but as was mentioned before if your paying good money and a lot of it. it better be close to perfect. I just don't see any of that from SS lately. again thank goodness they are distributors as well as artist. cause i am certain the business of their statues has dropped. I do remenber how much fun it was when you knew a piece was going on preorder like the original captain America, you would jump on and try and preorder it before it sold out. it made me feel so good when i got a piece that sold out in minutes. i just do not see that happening now or in the future even with the down payment .

I agree wit everything said, but as far as the boards go...that's ALL boards in general from cars to anything else. It's all shifted to Facebook.

[...] (none of this stuff is ?High Art?, and to charge $500-800 for a crap comic book or movie character is just gross; especially when you consider that if one died unexpectedly, and someone else had to sell off your collection ? the seller would be lucky to get $20 for most of this junk ? the average human isn?t going to be as dumb as we are to buy this stuff at hundreds of dollars).

Gotta agree. Perspective is a powerful thing. I love this stuff for all its pulp-y goodness, but not only do I love other things more, I try to see the long view. With everything really, not just diversions like this.

Hot Toys, Sideshow, and some of the other companies are pricing me out of collecting 1/6th ? not that I can?t afford them, but that the Cost vs Value just isn?t there.[...]

Yep. I have just *one* wildly expensive custom, and I'm comfortable with what I paid to assemble it for a number of reasons; that said I don't see the value in a lot of product out there right now. And forget aftermarket, I don't see how that's sustainable.

I agree wit everything said, but as far as the boards go...that's ALL boards in general from cars to anything else. It's all shifted to Facebook.

So I deleted Facebook after 13 years.

I miss the ready access to certain types of hobby information, and the odd good conversation or laugh with friends here and there, but I knew I would miss those things when I deleted. It's hard to describe but I just feel - a greater sense of well-being without it. Like there was this buzz in the background for so long I didn't notice it until it was gone.

I wasn't even a heavy user, but I'm glad that's done and over with.

I've gone back and forth...did figures for many years. What a pain when I decided to trim that down and sell some! I am finding volume an issue, and looking ahead to if I die, what would that leave my boys? Not just the loss they take on figures (I think more statues hold value better), but actual "things" to deal with. So at this point I am working on resisting figures and buying statues that I really love and can afford, but will work on limiting that as well so it's easier to deal with when I'm gone. I will soon be at the point where if I add a statue, I will have to sell a statue. I will guage that better when I finish the basement over the next year and can display my collection in full again.

In the end, I think this is a debate a person has to have with themselves and no one answer fits everyone. Someone well off may be able to do both! Someone financially tight may limit either to special purchases. Smaller or larger house also dictates what the person will decide, for display or storage capacity.

I was a hot toys collector for a long time but their price has gone way up and the quality is on a downward spiral. I just started with statues bu I am strictly collecting Jurassic Park/World, Beast Kingdoms Mastercraft Disney line and some very limited Marvel from Iron studios stuff and not everything released. As a collector you have to really single out pieces that you want and love. Prices have gone insane with statues as well.

Back