Moving Hot Toys without boxes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm moving in a few weeks and will be able to take a select portion of my collection with. The new living arrangements don't facilitate the space to store my boxes, but fortunately I have family who has spare space to hold onto them back home. Has anyone had any experience moving their collection boxless? I'm looking to move about 24 figures give or take.

I've decided to use tackle/hobby boxes for accessories, so that's taken care of. I more so want to pick a secure and safe way to transport the main figures. I thought about making pluck foam trays, but that stuff isn't easy to come by locally and is a little pricey for the volume I want to pack.

I realize I could just as easily do a few bubble wrap rolls on each and call it a day, but that doesn't protect odd or delicate shapes super well. I thought I'd take a survey and see if anyone had some more intuitive or functional methods they've used.

Are you moving these yourself or will other people be handling them? Is it by air or road? If it's just you and 4 wheels then you don't have to be so precious about packing them imo. Bubble wrap in a shoebox is fine, with care taken that the headscupts are protected from scratches.

Bubble wrap is your friend. And I’d handle those boxes yourself. I toss 99% of my boxes, as I don’t buy to sell in a year, and that’s how I moved mine when my wife and I bought our new house 3 years ago. Like you, I have my accessories in other containers.

I would personally put each figure individually in a large clear bag, preferably with a zip seal. Large 5+ gallon ziplock style storage bags or something like that.

That way anything that falls off (ie. an accessory, buckle, etc.) will remain in the bag and you'll know exactly which figure it goes to.

I would also use thick foam sheets instead of bubblewrap, but I'm sure bubblewrap would be fine as well. For me, it would just be a matter of agitating/touching the figure as little as possible since Hot Toys glue is not very strong.

Myself, I used bubble wrap, but to keep the plastic from the wrap sticking/melting to the body, especially if any plastic pieces are showing, I wrapped them in tissue paper or paper towel first , then bubble wrap. All accessories into little plastic bags. The figure and the accessories then into a shoebox. I then filled in any extra space in the box with paper towel or extra pieces of packing material so the figure wouldn’t be knocking around.

how many? if not many i just get a flat but long tupperware and put them in and make sure you carry them flat. and put a towel at the bottom. things you need to becareful are figures with faux leather.

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I'm taking a little bit from everyone and using some sheets of convoluted foam, tissue paper, and bubble wrap for extra padding. I plan to put all protective wrapping back onto the figures where appropriate for good measure. Fortunately it'll only be myself and my father who's coming down to help. Not a long drive either, just some 6 hours so I can keep good tabs on it all. Thanks for the advice!

Back